News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Recommendation on VHF Radio to Garmin? AIS Worth it?

Started by crazyfisher, February 23, 2024, 09:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazyfisher

Hey all. The current vhf radio on the boat is old and would like to update it. Something to integrate with the Garmin GPSMap 1022xsv. Currently has a 8 foot antenna.

Thinking of getting a vhf radio with AIS. I was looking at the Garmin 215 with AIS but its rather expensive. Standard horizon GX2400 was suggested by my buddy. Its 30 watt.

Is it worth it for AIS or should I just get a sub $200 vhf and all it a day.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

christianbrat

i run a Garmin VHF 115 and have been very happy with it. No AIS and basic features, but still a 25w radio, and with a 4ft antenna on my roof I can hear Bodega from HMB if its decent conditions
1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

amazing grace

I know it does not matter to some. But to me it does. Where is the Garmin made. I would also look at Icom. I don't want chicom. o
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

calcoast

I run a Simrad RS35 with AIS. I use the AIS to snoop on commercial salmon boats at the start of the season and to see the commercial salmon boats near me in the fog. I also use radar for that so AIS is not really necessary. I fish Bodega Bay. If I fished with more commercial traffic I suppose it might be more useful. I have used Simrad, Standard Horizon, Garmin, Icom, and Uniden VHF radios in the past. They all performed well. I managed to find my Simrad AIS radio on sale for $180 several years ago. I would not have paid the full retail price at the time just to get AIS. My opinion has not changed.
2017 19 Sea Chaser Skip Top
2017 Honda BF 135
2019 Yamaha 9.9

christianbrat

Quote from: calcoast on February 23, 2024, 10:56:58 AMI run a Simrad RS35 with AIS. I use the AIS to snoop on commercial salmon boats at the start of the season and to see the commercial salmon boats near me in the fog. I also use radar for that so AIS is not really necessary. I fish Bodega Bay. If I fished with more commercial traffic I suppose it might be more useful. I have used Simrad, Standard Horizon, Garmin, Icom, and Uniden VHF radios in the past. They all performed well. I managed to find my Simrad AIS radio on sale for $180 several years ago. I would not have paid the full retail price at the time just to get AIS. My opinion has not changed.

Wow you got a killer deal. Nice find
1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

croaker stroker

I also have the Simrad RS35 that overlays my Simrad G09. It is a "must have" in Los Angeles shipping channels. The huge oil tankers and container ships travel faster than you expect and can sneek up on you. 

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

disposable

personally, I think there's a LOT of radio priorities before networking. I mean, you already have GPS coordinates, and you already have a compass (I hope)... so I don't see a big reason to connect to your MFD. (EDIT- well, maybe mark's comment above^, but I think that AIS overlay protection can also be provided, *in greater detail and more redundancy* with a radar and proximity alarm... but he's not wrong, if you're in a bowling alley you want every overlay you can get) opinions differ on this point, but I've also found that once your system gets bigger and more integrated, it also becomes a bigger expense obstacle when you have to replace/repair a single part. in other words, separate radar/MFD/radio are easier to own in the long run. maybe that's just me.

for me, the big priorities for a radio are: 1- MMSI registration and GPS (so you can send that critical distress call when pucker is max); 2- AIS broadcasting (so the big ships can steer around you in the pea soup); 3- multi-channel/split-channel/dual-channel scanning (sometimes a luxury, like keeping track of multiple conversations; sometimes a necessity, so you can chat with your buddies but not miss important safety/navigation content); 4- an external speaker (IMHO this makes a more direct and immediate improvement than chasing noise/reception quality); 5- I suppose you have to rule out interference and bad connections, but TBH, I think it's either "good enough" or "obviously something's wrong" and not "I'm gonna keep welding this plug until it's perfect"; 6?- screens and buttons and whatever dead last...
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

DARice

I'm a big fan of AIS wherever commercial shipping is an issue. My ancient standard horizon paired easily with my Garmin EchoMap. With AIS your get full info on a target, so it's easy to reach out by radio if needed.

Dave
2005 Sea Chaser 17 Pilot House, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9

croaker stroker

One of the things I like about the AIS overlay on the Simrad is that by touching the AIS boat mark on the screen, it tells you the name of the boat. 

I have used this feature when approaching Oil Platform boats traveling at high speed. I am able to call out the name of the boat on channel 16 and announce my intention. Like "I am passing to your Starboard" or "I will stop and allow you to continue on your course" I have always gotten a reply and a "thank you".

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

davidsea

I've had a long history with Icom, fixed and handheld, marine and air - I currently have 3.  Their USA headquarters is local, with parts and service, and customer service is excellent.  My latest is a M330G with MMSI and GPS, 8' antenna.   If I were in California, or here in WA in the shipping channels, I'd want AIS, but where I'm running, not a must-have, and the 330 is a solid (made-in-Japan)full-power unit, around $220.
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Yachter Yat

When I bought my Arima (in 94), I also bought a new Icom. Did it last?  Was it dependable? Let me put it this way:  It went with the boat when I sold it, some 28 years later.

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

AJFishin

I don't have radar but having AIS has been good for me, like Croaker pointed out as we fish in the same waters.

If you buy a VHF radio make sure you get a radio that has AIS already built in, has NMEA2000 connection, and not a radio that is "AIS ready", that's something you do not want.

I have a Standard Horizon radio and I've had 3 over the years, all of them have been great and you get a lot for their lower prices. Their customer service / technical support has been great, and their service center is about an hour from me, so that's an added bonus if I need to use them.
I had a Garmin MFD and it worked well, now I have a Simrad MFD which also works well. Currently I have an older VHF radio with built in AIS, but I'm not able to connect it to my Simrad without using a $200 adapter because the radio is NMEA0183 and the Simrad is NMEA2000. I will upgrading later this year.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

DARice

My vhf w AIS is connected over nmea0183 and gives me full integration with Garmin—all of their chartplotters still support that interface. For better or worse, that was one reason I went with Garmin when I bought the boat. When it's time to replace the vhf, it will be with a unit with AIS networked using nmea2k...that almost happened last year, but SH completely repaired my dead radio for $60 (flat fee regardless of the problem.)

Dave
2005 Sea Chaser 17 Pilot House, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9

calcoast

Quote from: christianbrat on February 23, 2024, 11:15:07 AM
Quote from: calcoast on February 23, 2024, 10:56:58 AMI run a Simrad RS35 with AIS. I use the AIS to snoop on commercial salmon boats at the start of the season and to see the commercial salmon boats near me in the fog. I also use radar for that so AIS is not really necessary. I fish Bodega Bay. If I fished with more commercial traffic I suppose it might be more useful. I have used Simrad, Standard Horizon, Garmin, Icom, and Uniden VHF radios in the past. They all performed well. I managed to find my Simrad AIS radio on sale for $180 several years ago. I would not have paid the full retail price at the time just to get AIS. My opinion has not changed.

Wow you got a killer deal. Nice find

It was a deal i learned about either here or on coastside. The deals are out there and i credit the great fishing network we have.
2017 19 Sea Chaser Skip Top
2017 Honda BF 135
2019 Yamaha 9.9

Barnaclebob

Given i fish near the shipping and ferry lanes, id never have a radio without AIS.  Its another layer to your situational awareness.
2007 Sea Ranger 19
2021 Yamaha 115
2021 Yamaha 9.9

Fishwithsarge

I am a true believer in AIS integrated with your MDF.  I call it the poor man's radar.  I have the Raymarine  MDF, VHF/AIS and radar package that came from the factory with the Searanger 21 H/T.  I've had AIS with my previous 4 boats and rely on it more than radar.  AIS display gives heading lines and mine flashes red when in possible collision course, even when the other vessel is miles off.  Since I fish in the Vancouver, BC waters with lots of commercial/ferry traffic, it's nice to know if I'm in someone's path.  Remember these large vessels always have the right of way.

crazyfisher

thanks for all the great info. I'll go with a vhf that has AIS and nmea 2000. Think I'll go with standard horizon instead of the garmin to save on some cash. If the garmin was a direct plug in without using nmea2000 I would go that route but since I need to do a nmea2000 backbone I'll go with SH. The SH seam to have a smaller profile than the garmin so replacing the current SH eclipse+ shouldn't be a big issue.

top pick so far is the SH GX2400B.

crazyfisher

Finally able to install the radio in. Had to cut the previous hole a tad bigger but wasn't too bad. NMEA into the garmin. Still need to test it but it look like it's network into the garmin. Still have to play around with it. Glad I went with SH for the size.

addicted2fishing

Quote from: crazyfisher on March 16, 2024, 10:46:45 AMFinally able to install the radio in. Had to cut the previous hole a tad bigger but wasn't too bad. NMEA into the garmin. Still need to test it but it look like it's network into the garmin. Still have to play around with it. Glad I went with SH for the size.

I'm looking at getting the SH GX2400B myself. Have you had a chance to play around with it more?  I would love to hear any impressions or feedback you have about it.

I'm looking to do a very similar setup via NMEA2000. The only difference is that it would be with a Simrad MFD.
'99 Alumaweld Intruder 20' | Kodiak 2-Stage Jet | Honda BF9.9

'00 Arima Sea Ranger 21' | Honda BF130 | Yamaha T8

crazyfisher

i haven't taken the boat out to the ocean or bay yet so I really haven't had a chance to test it. I should be going soon hopefully when the weather behaves!!

Danno

I have had the GX2400B since December of 2020. It works great. It has so many features that I can't memorize them all with only using my Arima every month on average.

I did have it lock up on me when I first got it. I think it was while using direct MSI to MSI calling with Croaker. Luckily, the US service center is only 40 miles from m (Cerritos, CA). No problems since.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Yachter Yat

Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

GregE

I got the big Icom and cut a spot on the right dash for it.  It's nice to have it within reach and ear shot when things are busy. and it's GREAT seeing the AIS symbols integrated into the Garmin MFD display!!  The radio AIS display gives direction and general distance but the BIG picture sure is better.

There pics of the radio, MFD ... a ways down this discussion thread
https://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=15211.0
Lots of wiring set up discussion..

This is a short cut
https://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=15211.msg180664#msg180664

Wish I could copy pics from threads-  too many others cluttering things up to find them quickly and I want it when I see it...
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Redhawk

Quote from: addicted2fishing on April 18, 2024, 07:05:36 AMI'm looking at getting the SH GX2400B myself. Have you had a chance to play around with it more?  I would love to hear any impressions or feedback you have about it.

I'm looking to do a very similar setup via NMEA2000. The only difference is that it would be with a Simrad MFD.
We have a 2400b coupled to a 5225-xt and it's the bees knees. Other than a radio check we haven't done much calling, but after rearranging the cable a bit it was picking up boat chatter all around nice and clear. After I installed it, it was picking up ferry chatter in Victoria clearly from our driveway which is 40 miles as the crow flies, even with the goofed coax.
Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke