News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Saddle tank install

Started by StreamFixer, April 02, 2018, 03:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markshoreline

I never use off setting except when doing fuel line maintenance.

I attached the fuel lines so that the point of the switch points at the tank being used: to the starboard, port or down for rear tank. 

This is a good time to replace hoses and fittings and fuel caps!  It will never be easier and you won't have to worry about them.  Cheap in the long run!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

StreamFixer

All the parts are here that I need to plumb the tanks.  I just need to decide where to put the tank switch.  One person has recommended inside one of the sponson wells (definitely out of the way).  Pictures of examples would sure be appreciated.  Mooch posted where his is...  WOW-- is it tight behind that panel...  Going to wrap it up (except for the squeeze bulbs) Tuesday...

I would like to hear what others have done and how that has worked for them.

Thank you

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Markshoreline

StreamFixer

Well, the tanks are in place.  The difference between right and left configuration of the boat continues to need to be addressed.  Sure not much room to work above the starboard tank.  We may need to pull the shelf to get it done.

I put a request for help in locating where to drill the fill tube holes through the deck to COB & BurnsieBabe.  Sure enough, I received a call from Don who talked me through the process they use. 

Does the most experienced person at any other boat manufacturer call to help remodel their 21 year old boat when they hear you need a little help????    :clap: :bowdown:  :clap:

StreamFixer

'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Markshoreline

Sf, so what is Arima's method?  We measured from the rear of tach tank to the center of the filler and drilled the same distance from the rearward point on the shelf that the tank would rest.

StreamFixer

Get a set of measurements you can count on, put tape across the tank fill tube.  Drill a 1/8" pilot hole, then adjust so the pilot hole is in middle of the tank fill tube.  Drill for filler fitting (the Marine Parts Depot 1 1/2" gas filler assembly needs a 1 3/4" hole).  Remove the tape.  (almost got my tee shirt for that one)  Put a couple three inches of new 1 1/2" gas fill tube on the tank filler after getting 2 hose clamps in place.  Cut off the filler assembly as required to get everything to fit.  (I had to cut off about 2").  Remember to remove the cap retainer chain before you cut.

The fill tube will likely be pretty close to the bottom of the deck.  No big deal as long as you allow enough room for the filler assembly to be fully seated against the deck (about an inch between the top of the deck and the top of the filler tube for my set up). 

Run a bead of 5200 around the top of the 1 3/4" hole, insert the filler assembly and use a rubber hammer to get everything together.  Screw the assembly down to the deck.  Tighten the hose clamps on tank and filler assembly.

If everything was measured carefully, the pilot hole will likely be part of the hole you cut out or, at worst, covered by the filler assembly plate, at least mine were...

I had to cut the upper shelf to allow the fill tubing to clear.  Doing all this is MUCH easier when the upper shelf is not in place. 

When I shortened the filler assembly, there was no place to attach the cap chain.  I simply cut a small piece of starboard to dangle sideways, attached to the cap chain and fed it down the tube. Mine is about 1/2" square and 1 3/4" long.   Absolutely fool proof??? Probably not, but it does work. 

I also replaced the factory plastic filler assembly in the splash well area..  It was becoming quite difficult to open for fueling.  I had to make a 3" diameter starboard donut to get everything to attach securely.  I would not call it a thing of beauty, but it works well.

Don also recommended pulling the gas pick-up line and cleaning it to remove accumulated gunk as long as the tank was 'out'.  Then he encouraged me to run a couple of fill ups through the saddles each year to keep the gas fresh and gunk build up to a minimum...  Also, use non-alcohol fuel if available.

I will post a picture of the deck cutout for future reference.  Looks like 3/4" plywood in a fiberglass sandwich.  Lots to work with there.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Markshoreline

Yep, yep and yep, that's what we ended up doing.  However it was marred by a lot of perplexity and concern about screwing up.  Didn't think of the hammer idea- that would have been good to know.  Yes, we swapped the plastic cap in the aft with the same screw in SS as we used on the gunwales.  Those plastic ones allow sea water in the tank once the gasket dries out.
Looking forward to seeing the pics or it didn't happen,   :jester:.