News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Arima Pilothouse

Started by ak-angler, November 12, 2013, 11:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ak-angler

Croaker posted a craigslist ad for a 19-foot Sea Ranger Pilothouse here. I didn't want to clutter that thread with random discussion, so I've started this thread for comments...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This looks like a very well done conversion. I've been trying to figure out how to make this type of pilothouse for my SR17 for as long as I've owned it. I just couldn't ever get it to come together.

So, for the sake of discussion, I poached a few of the pictures from the craigslist ad, and posted 'em here to save for posterity.

As a side note, the way it's sitting on the trailer looks like it could collect a pretty significant amount of water in the bow. But, I suppose that's not an issue, since the ad says it's stored indoors...
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

Threeweight

At one point I priced what it would cost to have something similar made for my boat from a top notch aluminum fabrication place... $4500 was the answer. 

Fiberglass over a wood frame would be much cheaper, and possibly a DIY project, but heavier.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

First Cabin

Love this style of top and I really think Arima/Defiance should be exploring this kind of top as a factory option.

But several years ago I did have a conversation with Don at the Arima factory about this kind of top on an Arima.  He said that Mr. Arima was not comfortable with adding this kind of weight to many of the Arima models. 

You certainly do run the risk of making these boats top heavy so I guess it shouldn't be done without some serious design considerations.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Threeweight

Yah... I picked Don's brain about this at the last boat show in Seattle as well.  He said the top heavy issue is the reason they never offered a skip tower on any of the narrower (16' and 15') boats, and no hard top options on the 17' boats (beyond the low-slung skiff tops).  The weight would probably not be a problem in the typical conditions these boats are operated in, but it could get hairy in a nasty bar crossing with big 5' + swells.

There is, however a gorgeous 17' Ranger that I see from time to time in the Kalama/Cathlamet area with a wooden hard top that is a work of art.  It is very different than the Inland Marine tops... lots of fancy woodwork and beautiful colors, it looks like a custom job done by a very patient woodworker.  It appears whomever built it kept the overall height pretty low, though (about the same as a canvas top).  I've never gotten a chance to talk to that boat's owners on the water.

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

ak-angler

I do really like the one posted above. But it looks just a little out of proportion when viewed from the side. If I could design my own version, it would be a bit longer, and a bit shorter (just tall enough so that I could still stand up without hitting my head), like this 'artist rendering'. I think the factory would sell a lot of these...

Threeweight mentioned the cost of doing one of these conversions, and that was the biggest issue for me. I just couldn't commit to putting that kind of cash into my little 17-foot skiff-top Sea Ranger, just to gain more headroom. I kept comparing the cost-benefit equation of the conversion to just selling it and buying something bigger, and the conversion always lost.

(Of course, I did end up spending a chunk of cash on a repower. But, there were other factors included in that decision...)

Threeweight

Don's take on that artist rendering was that the cost of building and perfecting the mold for an all-fiberglass top was just too much $$$ during the middle of the recession.  With Arima's selling briskly for the Defiance gang, I wonder if they might reconsider that?

Several of my more vertically endowed friends love the basic design of Arimas, but pass them over because there just isn't enough head room in them.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

amazing grace

I have a few thoughts about the boat pix above and a pilothouse retrofit on an Arima. I think the 19' is the perfect boat for this modification. Not because I own a couple. The seveteen is just to small imho.

On a smaller boat(19') I have said it before. I do not think it has to be tall enough for a 6'2" person to stand up in. There is not going to be enough room inside with seating and the helm to accomodate adults standing completely vertical for any length of time. My reason for wanting an enclosure is to get protection for inclement weather and the direct sun.

I think while it looks like it was built well. I do not personally like the looks of this boat. Looks a lot like the older Defiance Yellow tail i think it was called and I though it was but ugly too. The drawing looks waaaaaayyyyyy better to me.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Salmon King

That boat definitely requires the addition of a roller under the bow on that trailer.
Notice how the hull is actually BELOW the trailer frame? 
Not a good thing, but I'd be willing to bet they removed the roller because of a height issue with the storage bay it was kept in.

While I do like the look I tend to agree with AG about the height issue...
Just seems too high for my tastes but if it works for the owner who really cares?
It does appear that the conversion was very well done though.

I'd like to talk to the owner to find out who did it, and the cost.
I've just emailed him and am hoping he'll call or email back...

PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Threeweight

It comes down to where you fish.  On the ocean, Lower Columbia, etc...

Standing in rough water = bent knees and legs function as natural shock absorbers.

Sitting in rough water = pounding is transferred to your spine and shoulders.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

ak-angler

We spend days at a time on our boat, in all kinds of weather, from 70 and sunny to 20 and blowing snow, and everything in between. Having the ability to comfortably stand - out of the weather - is important to me. My wife is almost a foot shorter than me, so she has always thought our short skiff top was great.

Of course, since acquiring a 26-foot Cape Cruiser with its 6'-4" of headroom, cabin height will no longer be a problem for me. Although the wife did say she did feel really short in it during the sea trials.  :jester:

croaker stroker

Wonder how well the Cape Cruiser will balance on those pinnacles you like to perch on ?   :whistle:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

ak-angler

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on November 12, 2013, 06:24:40 PM

Wonder how well the Cape Cruiser will balance on those pinnacles you like to perch on ?   :whistle:

I hope to never find out. :hoboy: :facepalm:

GregE

Quote from: ak-angler on November 12, 2013, 06:53:07 PM
Quote from: Croaker Stroker on November 12, 2013, 06:24:40 PM

I hope to never find out. :hoboy: :facepalm:

Ooooh   Score one for  CS!!   :applause:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

amazing grace

I have taken a second look at the above pix. It does look pretty good. I wonder what the stand up height is? Given what he had to work with (19SR) he did a very nice job. For me, at just under 6'0". I would not want the height much over that. 
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

croaker stroker

There are a couple of companies that install Pilot houses in California.  Not completely sure but Anderson, Davis, Radon come to mind when I look at this one.

Wonder where they get the rubber for the windows ??

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Croaker...looks like an Anderson Custom Boat modification out of Goleta, CA. Background is definately So Cal.
Nice work! J Doo
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

croaker stroker

JW,

Where do they buy the rubber molding ?

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Threeweight

I have seen guys on Bloody Deck's who built there own pilot house similar to this.  Use the thinnest marine plywood they can find (usually 1/4"), with oak 1x2 or 2x2 for framing.  Once the wooden structure is built, they go back and cover both the inside and outside with several layers of fiberglass cloth and resin.  Then sand and paint (or gel coat), then install windows and bolt it on.

The roof can be made the same way, but I have also read of some guys building a fiberglass mold out of formica or some other smooth slick materiel, then putting down gel coat, then glass, then structural foam, then glass, then gel coat again.  Much lighter than the wood construction, and less sanding.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Peddler

The launching technique and facility on Gaviota Pier is interesting as well.  It's derailing the ad posting a little, so thought I'd continue it here.  A quick search resulting in finding this document about the requirement and per-launch procedure.  http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/606/files/gavhndbkrevised113006_c3.pdf
Wishin' I was Fishin'

croaker stroker

I think that boat is an Anderson.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

Geez --- 35 pages and not even to the crane yet .....  Thinking of the joy of dragging my 3000#+ boat down that dock  --- :facepalm: :nono: 

I'll pass thank you

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

ak-angler

Yeah. It was just 35 pages of "don't cut in line" and "don't get in the way of other people". Where's the interesting stuff about using the crane?

Peddler

Quote from: ak-angler on November 13, 2013, 01:15:10 PM
Yeah. It was just 35 pages of "don't cut in line" and "don't get in the way of other people". Where's the interesting stuff about using the crane?

Somewhere in the search results I read that you have to sign-up to take a class, offered 4 times per year, to be certified to use the crane.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Tom Mac

Pay a fee, follow all the rules, push your boat down a dock and you have to run the crane as well. I think I will stick to backing down a ramp :smile1:
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Croaker... I'm not sure about the window gasket pattern as seen in your pic, but here is a good start for a resource.

http://greatlakesskipper.com/boat-molding/windshield-molding-and-seal

J Doo Dad
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!