News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Trailer Recommendation's for a 17 Chaser

Started by T-Rex, April 12, 2015, 10:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Rex

I'm thinking of upgrading my trailer, the one i have is a 2004 Shorelander in excellent condition but i have concerns about its load capacity.

I'm pretty good about paying special attention to trailer bearings, seals, grease, winch strap, tongue, tires and doing the upkeep and maintenance.
I took the bearings out last year, cleaned em up in a solvent bin, dried and re-packed with Delo (gotta like Timken, they looked brand new) i left the races in and changed the seals.

While i had the hubs off i inspected the axle spindles, there was a tiny and i mean tiny bit of wear from the inside of the seals on both sides, no big deal so everything went back together and they ran as cool as could be for the season. While doing the bearings i had a good look at the tires, rims etc, that's when i noticed the load capacity of the 13" tires ( 1480 lbs each )
I had not worried about that much until i kept hearing how these Arima's weigh more than the hull specs indicate, so i thought about upgrading to D rated 13's, that would give me another 490lbs of load carrying ability as fas as tires are concerned. But my axle is only rated for 2,960lbs so am i just fooling myself thinking better tires are the answer ?

I'm not sure my exact weight but will be finding out soon, there is a scale i can use at a landscape supplies store, i had not realized they had a nice big scale with easy access to it until recently (the local landfill is way out of the question).

Also...while getting things ready for this season i checked the winch strap and figured i better replace it, it looks like a typical 2" 5,000 so my plan is to replace that with a 7,500 or even 10,000 strap, while inspecting the winch and teeth i noticed a sticker on the side of the winch that says "Capacity 1,800 lbs" ...."wtf ?" So now i'm thinking a bigger winch is on the horizon too.

The tongue may be the only thing i'm comfortable with ( 5,000 lb)

Overall i'm thinking that upgrading things here and there may or may not be worth it ? I know they would help but i'm more concerned about the trailer itself and the axle rating now.

I realize trailers are not cheap but what would your opinion be on this ?

Maybe i could call the manufacturer and see if i can upgrade the axle and put 15" tires on it, i would like for that to happen and have it re certified somehow, has anyone done anything like that ? Rebuilds are one thing but how do you deal with getting the carrying capacity increase certified ?

The trailer is a dream to launch and retrieve, so i love it as far as that is concerned, its a combination of rollers and small bunks, i don't moor it so it sees alot of pavement and gets dunked quite a bit.

440 lbs of engine, gas, skip top, dual batteries, companion seats and about 100 lbs or so of gear.

Sea Chaser 17, Suzuki DF90A

Hydro-Therapy

Westcoaster the first thing you need to do is take the boat and trailer across the scales to find out where you stand.  Your GVW looks to be pretty good for a 17. The big problem you have been reading about is when they put a trailer like yours under a 19 which is much heavier boat.

As for certifying a trailer for higher GVW is not going to happen. Once a trailer leaves the factory with a serial # it has been designated a GVW that is traceable back to the factory. All you can do is do the upgrades and keep the paper work in case you do sell the show the new owner. In the meantime you have peace  of mind that you have the heavier duty stuff on there.

As for the winch strap. The rating is for the pulling weight . I seriously doubt you have much more than 500 lbs of pull when loading your boat on the trailer. A 5000 lb strap would be enough to pull your truck around the island. The winch straps do start to show some ware and tare after being used a bunch. I launch about 50 times a year and strap will last 5-6 years on my 19 with a bunk trailer.

With maintenance you are doing and do diligence you show about taking care of your equipment. I don't think you really have a problem with the trailer you have. But a trip to the scales will tell the whole story.

H-T   
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

amazing grace

I have a hd Shorelander under my 17' Sea Ranger Skiptower. It has 14" tires so not the same as your's Sean. Love the trailer. Yours sounds on the light side if you ask me. Especially the way you use it. Good for you to do your maintenence. Could you put another axle under it? Probably not the best option, but would make it tow like a dream and give you more security. Cheaper than a another trailer too :shrug9:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Salmon King

I also wouldn't worry about the load on your winch.
A rolling load is far less than a static one (which is how they figure the load rating for the winch).
My own winch is a 2000 # rated electric from HF works like a champ!!
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Threeweight

I agree with HT... don't sweat the trailer or the winch.  Yours is pretty typical for what is under 17' Arimas... the specs are identical to my Shorelander, which probably has at least 50,000 miles on it.

If you want to go with some Load Range D tires, they are available online in the 13" size... forget where I saw them now, but Etrailer or somewhere like that had them.  I looked into it when I replaced my tires a couple season ago.  Should be referenced in an old thread here somewhere.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

whale

according to arima, SC17 is 2350lb hull, motor,trailer. Your trailer is rated for 2960lb. The numbers from Arima may not be accurate but they can't be off by 600lb. You have to remember 10% of the weight is on the tongue and not on the axle.
Since you are keeping up on its maintenance, you should be fine. I wouldnt change a thing until you have a broken part. I think my SC17 is on a trailer rated for 2600lb, its aluminum so bit lighter.
2014 Sea Chaser 17, Yamaha F90, T9.9

Fishjager

I put a King Saltwater Series with bunks under mine.  It is a 25W and will handle your boat just fine.  Boat centers really easy on landing.  I love it.
Boatless right now