News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Mounting Scottys- right angle or standard mount?

Started by headduck, January 25, 2014, 03:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headduck

Guys.

Starting to outfit the boat and picked up a couple of Scottys at the boat show.

How many of you have mounted with the standard/swivel mount on the top of gunwale and how many have opted for the right angle mount.

Read fisheagle's post recommending the right angle but others seem to think it will fit fine. Also is the right angle as secure for pulling pots etc..?

Also, when I drill through the glass and wood, should I treat the holes with anything to help protect from rot?

Thanks again.

Ed
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

J Chaser

I have a 1511 Sea Chaser and my gunwales are not wide enough for the regular mount in my preferred location so I used the right angle mounts. I reinforced behind the mount with 3/4" cutting board material. Photo posted on another discussion on this topic. They are very secure and I sealed the holes with sikaflex.

John

Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

headduck

Seems as if there are many options for mounting and reinforcement and it come down to personal preference.

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=5920.msg65895#msg65895

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=716.0

The top mount if I can thread the needle would most likely support the ace puller a bit better with the added torque, and if I were to go right angle the addition of a bracket would be beneficial.

Thanks for the comment John. Helpful. Sweet boat as well...super clean.

Ed

fishing eagle

On my SR 19 I mounted my Scotty down riggers using the right angle mounts and I would do it again.
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

headduck

Fishing Eagle.

Is that a strong enough connection to withstand the additional torque associated with a pot puller mounted to the swivel base? I am concerned about the additional flex? Is the concern unfounded or is it too much stress with the additional height of the swivel base? Would hate for the gunwale to give and pot puller taking a swim...

Ed

GregE

I was looking for my set up but see it was already linked.

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=716.0

The  Gunnels are pretty stout without reinforcement but I errr on the side of better safe...
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

fishing eagle

We don't use pot pullers on inland lakes so I can't speak on that point. Yet I would have concerns of mounting my down riggers with either mount to lift a crab pot.
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

headduck

Lake crab are not terribly common. :wink: thanks FE. Rebait, did the L bracket solve your concerns? I imagine you bolster the L bracket through the side and top of the gunwale?

Seems like a pretty simple item for any fabricator to create..?

Hydro-Therapy

Duck if you  have concerns about using the scotty mounts. you need to give grizz a call over at Saltboss and have them make you one of the mounts he has for them.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

headduck

Is that the stainless mount with boxed ends?

If the crab puller is out of the equation then the side mount solves the scotty mounting concerns...

Good idea.

Hydro-Therapy

yes for the crab puller.

No crab puller the side mounts work out great . I would not trust them for a puller.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

GregE

Yeah Duck,  I bevel cut a leftover piece of  1" marine ply, then glued and screwed it in an L.    fastened it under the gunnel then ran the mounting bolts long enough to fasten with washers ( stainless)

It'll outlast most of the boat....   :wink:

No pivoting noted during a heavy pot pull.
Greg
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

headduck

Rebait. Did you secure the top of mount to the "L" through the top of the gunwale (bolts, glue , or otherwise) or just mount standard manner with the side wall mount allowing the "L" to do all of the reinforcing from the typical point of attachment?

GregE

It was secured from the top and side with stainless bolts washers and fibrelock nuts.  The Scotty side mount has holes for both
Greg

headduck

Thanks. I think the dead horse has been sufficiently flogged.

Most appreciated.

Ed