News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Fire extinguisher recall

Started by Diablo, November 02, 2017, 03:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

They sent me the wrong one. I got a large garage/home extinguisher.   :shrug9:

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Peddler

I keep finding them around my place. I've now had 8 replaced, and just found another yesterday. It took about a month to get the last ones (three at once).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

croaker stroker

Mine said it was unaffected, but they sent me one anyway.  :shrug9:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

The PIA is sending the old ones back. Since it's pressurized, and a hazardous material you cannot drop it off at Fed Ex with the label they provide you. I tried, and wasted a trip. The paper return instructions said this but I tried anyway  :doh: So I called Fed ex to schedule a pick up while was at work and after talking to a virtual person for 5 min I finally got through to an actual person. I stated I wanted to schedule a pick up for a return and they asked for the tracking numbers. I told him I was at work and did not have the numbers with me. He said he cannot schedule a pick up without them. So it's such a hassle to send them back that I think I'll just keep them
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

croaker stroker

When they contact me to ask why I didn't send the old one back I will tell them they sent the wrong one.

Might be years from now.  :shrug9:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on February 05, 2018, 08:26:24 PM
The PIA is sending the old ones back. Since it's pressurized, and a hazardous material you cannot drop it off at Fed Ex with the label they provide you. I tried, and wasted a trip. The paper return instructions said this but I tried anyway  :doh: So I called Fed ex to schedule a pick up while was at work and after talking to a virtual person for 5 min I finally got through to an actual person. I stated I wanted to schedule a pick up for a return and they asked for the tracking numbers. I told him I was at work and did not have the numbers with me. He said he cannot schedule a pick up without them. So it's such a hassle to send them back that I think I'll just keep them

FedUp and UPS phone service is bad.
If you have to call again, once you get the robot, just keep repeating, "representative". But after the 3rd time the system will try and trick you, but just repeat "representative"  again and you'll get connected, same with UPS.
But if you really want some fun, try dealing with DHL  :hoboy: :facepalm:
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Yachter Yat

Returning these things sounds like it can be a bit of a hassle in some cases.  IMO, might not be worth the trouble.  Perhaps checking with your local fire department could shed some light on this.  I've had my extinguisher for quite a while now.  I'm thinking; why not just dump it and write-it-off as a small part of my boating expense? :shrug9: 

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Diablo

The first one I returned was easy the UPS agent knew what todo. The second time I returned one the agent didn't have a clue what to do. I thanked him and called right back and got a different agent that knew what to do.
I would imagine the reason they want them back is to get the defective ones out of the system. Having a fire extinguisher that may not work is not good.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

StreamFixer

Returning the old one part of the 'deal' ---  If you don't and somebody uses it, you would be liable for any bad things that might happen.  Return is free and they can re-cycle the can.  I'd return it (and did --- 3 of them)

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Peddler

I attempted to drop off a return at a FedEx company store. They wouldn't take it. I took it to a independent mailbox store, who accepts FedEx, and they took the no problem. Also, my usual driver said he'd take them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

troll4fish

I received the first one and had no issues sending it back, the second one was supposed to be "unaffected" but they sent me a new one anyway but that return was botched by fedex as they had the pickup listed for Layton, Utah? I live in a Denver suburb! They finally got it straight after 30 minutes on the phone rescheduling the pickup. Now I am good to go for a few years.
92 Sea Chaser 17
2004 (2015 total rebuild) Mercury 90 EFI 4 stroke
2014 Honda 8hp full remote power tilt!

blue heron

We had 4 replaced and I'd taken 3 to the local mail depot that accepts FedEx and they took them. For the last one, they said they can't take fire extinguishers (with the mark on the return box) and said to take it to a FedEx depot.  My son had a FedEx delivery a few days later to the house and the delivery person readily accepted the return package.
SR-19
115 Yamaha
8 Yamaha

StreamFixer

I had a similar experience.  I suspect it was some kind of local fire code when dealing with HazMat items (Yes a fire extinguisher is HazMat -- pressurized vessel)

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu