News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Repairing your deck

Started by croaker stroker, June 21, 2015, 10:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

Here is a pretty good tutorial on how to repair small cracks/holes in your deck gelcoat.

http://morrison-marine.com/repairing-non-skid-surfaces/
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Rangerman

Good post Croaker,
I just thought I would share my new anti-skid deck.
I had too much of the original pattern gone, to try and repair, so I decided to install anti-skid material in the gel-coat.
I ordered  color matched Gel-coat from Fiberlay in Seattle 119.00 Gal. very reasonable. take your bait well lid.
I ordered anti-skid material from the bottom paint store online 9.99 a qt. I used about 3
Taped around the anti-skid, prep with 80 grit on a sander, clean with acetone.
roll out a layer of gel coat, sprinkle anti-skid material over gel coat, be generous.
when dry vacuum excess material.
Roll another layer of gel coat, let dry.
Last coat add wax to the gel coat and roll out another layer or spray.

croaker stroker

Great job. Looks very professional. That is exactly what I would do. Should last another 25 years.  :bowdown: :clap:

So...if you are doing more than one coat...is it necessary to use "unwaxed" gelcoat for the first two coats ??

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Salmon King

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on July 04, 2015, 01:15:29 PM

So...if you are doing more than one coat...is it necessary to use "unwaxed" gelcoat for the first two coats ??

Yes.  If you use wax in the undercoat the next coat will not adhere.
The wax will act as a release agent.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

croaker stroker

Is there an advantage in mixing wax in the last coat versus applying mold release on top ?

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Hydro-Therapy

The mold release is only used in making your pattern for the repair ,not for on top of the repair or new coatings. Personally  I do not like wax in the last coat when using it on the floors. It is tooooo slick.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

croaker stroker

If there is no wax or mold release, will it still cure ? ...or dry sticky ?

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Hydro-Therapy

with no wax in the last coat it Will cure but not have the slick shinny look to it. It can be buffed and waxed to a shine with some elbow grease.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

Rangerman

With wax in the last coat it is not shiny, I am actually happy with the look, and the anti-skid performance is better than the factory diamond pattern.
I experimented with mixing the anti-skid into the gel coat before rolling it on and it clumped together.
Shaking the anti-skid over the rolled on gel coat, it laid flat.
To do this I used a plastic pint tub from some food container and drilled holes in the lid, like a large salt shaker.
I also used cabosil to thicken the gel coat on the first roll out to fill low spots and imperfections.
Pay attention to detail, outside temp, quantity, catalyst, etc. too much catalyst and it cures fast and it will kick before you have rolled it on, I figured this out the hard way.

Rangerman

" with no wax in the last coat it Will cure but not have the slick shinny look to it. It can be buffed and waxed to a shine with some elbow grease."

gel coat and fiberglass resin is laminating until it is sealed then it fully cures.
You can add layer on layer until you seal. If you seal and want to add another layer you have to sand the surface so the new layer can bond properly, I read somewhere it will eventually cure after years and years.
The gel coat can be ordered with wax already installed or you can add it. You could also use a PVA spray that seals the gel coat and you wash it off with warm water, or add a surface curing agent in the mix.

croaker stroker

I don't know why I didn't post this pic. But, better late than never.  :jester:

My gelcoat non-skid...

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Tortugaphil

would you recommend this type of repair for micro cracks?
Philippe

croaker stroker

It depends on the condition of your whole deck.

If you are speaking of spider cracks in the corners, than you can just spot repair them. There are various tutorials on YouTube.

https://www.boatworkstoday.com/project-type/non-skid-repair/

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Reel Luxy Duxy

Quote from: Rangerman on July 04, 2015, 01:06:47 PM
Good post Croaker,
I just thought I would share my new anti-skid deck.
I had too much of the original pattern gone, to try and repair, so I decided to install anti-skid material in the gel-coat.
I ordered  color matched Gel-coat from Fiberlay in Seattle 119.00 Gal. very reasonable. take your bait well lid.
I ordered anti-skid material from the bottom paint store online 9.99 a qt. I used about 3
Taped around the anti-skid, prep with 80 grit on a sander, clean with acetone.
roll out a layer of gel coat, sprinkle anti-skid material over gel coat, be generous.
when dry vacuum excess material.
Roll another layer of gel coat, let dry.
Last coat add wax to the gel coat and roll out another layer or spray.

My 87 SR 17 deck is worn out.. I was wonder how did your recoat hold up over the year. And would your recommend this brand ( Fiberlay). How many coat did you put on your deck.

Thank you for your help
1984 SR 17

AJFishin

I redid my deck with Kiwi Grip.
For color matching I sent my small floor hatch lid to them in Washington where they did a pretty close match. Below is some pictures of how it came out and I'm really happy with the results. I used about 1 and a quster pints.
If you call them and request a sample sheet, they will send you a color swatch which has 4 different textures you can achieve with Kiwi Grip.

Here's a video of my install: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0B1tnptcYA

Floor hatch and color match Kiwi Grip...

Color code for the color match....

Before...

Me applying it.....

After....
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Wiley

Wow I really like that look you have there AJFishin. It looks like it's bordered with a highlight. Very clean !

Hey C.S. That lead for Morrison Marine comes up 404 Error code when I try it. Wondering if it got outdated or if just not working on my end ?
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

croaker stroker

Quote from: Wiley on March 11, 2022, 07:52:14 AM
Wow I really like that look you have there AJFishin. It looks like it's bordered with a highlight. Very clean !

Hey C.S. That lead for Morrison Marine comes up 404 Error code when I try it. Wondering if it got outdated or if just not working on my end ?

Looks like they deleted it.  :shrug9:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸