Author Topic: Repairing your deck  (Read 4433 times)

Offline Croaker Stroker

Repairing your deck
« on: June 21, 2015, 10:29:56 PM »
Here is a pretty good tutorial on how to repair small cracks/holes in your deck gelcoat.

http://morrison-marine.com/repairing-non-skid-surfaces/
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline Rangerman

Re: Repairing your deck
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 01:06:47 PM »
Good post Croaker,
I just thought I would share my new anti-skid deck.
 I had too much of the original pattern gone, to try and repair, so I decided to install anti-skid material in the gel-coat.
I ordered  color matched Gel-coat from Fiberlay in Seattle 119.00 Gal. very reasonable. take your bait well lid.
I ordered anti-skid material from the bottom paint store online 9.99 a qt. I used about 3
Taped around the anti-skid, prep with 80 grit on a sander, clean with acetone.
roll out a layer of gel coat, sprinkle anti-skid material over gel coat, be generous.
when dry vacuum excess material.
Roll another layer of gel coat, let dry.
Last coat add wax to the gel coat and roll out another layer or spray.

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 01:15:29 PM »

Great job. Looks very professional. That is exactly what I would do. Should last another 25 years.  :bowdown: :clap:

So...if you are doing more than one coat...is it necessary to use "unwaxed" gelcoat for the first two coats ??

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • Fly your flag proudly and thank a veteran!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 01:43:43 PM »

So...if you are doing more than one coat...is it necessary to use "unwaxed" gelcoat for the first two coats ??

Yes.  If you use wax in the undercoat the next coat will not adhere.
The wax will act as a release agent.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14’ Sterling
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 02:01:35 PM »

Is there an advantage in mixing wax in the last coat versus applying mold release on top ?

Offline Hydro-Therapy

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 02:25:13 PM »

The mold release is only used in making your pattern for the repair ,not for on top of the repair or new coatings. Personally  I do not like wax in the last coat when using it on the floors. It is tooooo slick.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 03:22:19 PM »

If there is no wax or mold release, will it still cure ? ...or dry sticky ?

Offline Hydro-Therapy

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 03:29:36 PM »

with no wax in the last coat it Will cure but not have the slick shinny look to it. It can be buffed and waxed to a shine with some elbow grease.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

Offline Rangerman

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 09:01:29 PM »
With wax in the last coat it is not shiny, I am actually happy with the look, and the anti-skid performance is better than the factory diamond pattern.
I experimented with mixing the anti-skid into the gel coat before rolling it on and it clumped together.
Shaking the anti-skid over the rolled on gel coat, it laid flat.
To do this I used a plastic pint tub from some food container and drilled holes in the lid, like a large salt shaker.
I also used cabosil to thicken the gel coat on the first roll out to fill low spots and imperfections.
Pay attention to detail, outside temp, quantity, catalyst, etc. too much catalyst and it cures fast and it will kick before you have rolled it on, I figured this out the hard way.

Offline Rangerman

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 09:12:10 PM »

" with no wax in the last coat it Will cure but not have the slick shinny look to it. It can be buffed and waxed to a shine with some elbow grease."

gel coat and fiberglass resin is laminating until it is sealed then it fully cures.
You can add layer on layer until you seal. If you seal and want to add another layer you have to sand the surface so the new layer can bond properly, I read somewhere it will eventually cure after years and years.
The gel coat can be ordered with wax already installed or you can add it. You could also use a PVA spray that seals the gel coat and you wash it off with warm water, or add a surface curing agent in the mix.

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 12:13:03 AM »

I don’t know why I didn’t post this pic. But, better late than never.  :jester:

My gelcoat non-skid...