News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Bait Balls

Started by T-Rex, May 28, 2015, 11:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Rex

Was out on a buddies boat tonight, i believe this is the same unit as yours, he just installed it 2 weeks ago, our rods were dancing through this Giant bait ball...
Sooo much bait, one ball after another
Nice little unit...
Sea Chaser 17, Suzuki DF90A

StreamFixer

We get those bait balls, 10 to 15 feet thick - sometimes covering acres, in the lower Columbia (Astoria area) in the fall.  You know there are fish there when the surface erupts, but apparently our bait is usually simply lost in the crowd.   :shrug9:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

T-Rex

Quote from: StreamFixer on May 29, 2015, 07:46:39 AM
You know there are fish there when the surface erupts, but apparently our bait is usually simply lost in the crowd.   :shrug9:

Yes there was....and not exactly lost...

Sea Chaser 17, Suzuki DF90A

Threeweight

In the Columbia, those anchovy balls are riding the tide in and out... I think the coho feed on them down around Buoy 10 and the A jetty outside of Ilwaco, but up river not so much.  However, if you find one in the ocean.... drop something down and troll around the edges and hang on   :dance:
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

GregE

Wow,  mark an X on the side of the boat...... 
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Chasin Baitman

2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

blindmonkey

I like to buzzbomb the balls with a spinning reel setup. Have caught some very nice fish doing it and the light gear is awesome.
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

StreamFixer

I have never used a buzzbomb.  Guys in the boat have successfully jigged them for bottom fish.  Seen them, have a few I picked up at tackle box sales.  Please describe how you use them on a bait ball.   :shrug9:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Wyrguy

Quote from: StreamFixer on May 29, 2015, 07:10:17 PM
I have never used a buzzbomb.  Guys in the boat have successfully jigged them for bottom fish.  Seen them, have a few I picked up at tackle box sales.  Please describe how you use them on a bait ball.   :shrug9:

StreamFixer

http://www.buzzbombzzinger.com/buzzbomb_tips.html

Rick
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

blindmonkey

Yes like Rick has posted cast into the ball and retrieve as described. It works ! Watch for birds  - gulls or diving birds activity to locate balls. Great fun. 
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Wyrguy

Quote from: blindmonkey on May 29, 2015, 07:35:54 PM
Yes like Rick has posted cast into the ball and retrieve as described. It works ! Watch for birds  - gulls or diving birds activity to locate balls. Great fun.

Oh sure Lorne... lots of fun... Except when one of them diving ducks takes off with your Buzz Bomb and spools you...! Ask me how I know???  :doh:

Rick
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs