News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

WA Boaters Ed course. Which one?

Started by BayWolf, April 17, 2015, 11:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BayWolf

Which WA Boaters Ed on-line course is the best to use?
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

rasslingref

I did the free one online.  Drawback is that each slide has a timer and you can't move onto the next slide until the timer is done.  What should have taken around an hour took about 3 because of the slides.  If time is of value I would pay the $15-20 to take the online version that doesn't have the timer.  Pretty basic information over and over again.  If you don't have the boaters handbook stop by a Washington State Licensing office and pick one up.

David
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

KTACK174

I found out at the Tacoma Dome boat show that I had to take the course, I had previously thought that since I was born in 1955 that I didn't and all those born later than that year did.  When I went to transfer the title on my new to me Arima the lady at the DOL said that now everybody has to take the course regardless of age if they are going to be operating a boat under power.  It's on my "to do" list also. 
1999 15'11" Arima SeaChaser   2000 Suzuki 70hp 4-Stroke

DSCS

I think the DOL lady was wrong. That must  be a first!!!   :jester:

From the official Washington State Parks Boating Education website:

"Boaters in Washington need to have their Washington State Boater Education Card with them when operating a boat 15 horsepower or greater. Boater operators born before January 1,1955 are exempt but may choose to get a card if they plan to boat in Canada or Oregon since both require mandatory education. "

Alan
We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves,
an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style
(which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).

wedocq

I am assuming he was born in 1955 after Jan 1.  :biggrin:
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

DSCS

OOPS! Missed that.

Anymore complicated relationships like before/after, up/down, in/out leave me slightly befuddled.   :shrug9:

Alan
We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves,
an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style
(which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).

KTACK174

Just to clear things up, the big 6-oh is right around the corner!  :hoboy:
1999 15'11" Arima SeaChaser   2000 Suzuki 70hp 4-Stroke

StreamFixer

Quote from: DSCS on April 17, 2015, 02:01:09 PM
OOPS! Missed that.

Anymore complicated relationships like before/after, up/down, in/out leave me slightly befuddled.   :shrug9:

Alan

Left and right are what do me in Alan...  Port & Starboard --  no sweat, but left and right   :hoboy:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

GutZ

Get the test mailed to you! It is multiple guess and all the answers are easly googled. Takes 20 minutes. Mail it back and they send you your certificate!

http://www.parks.wa.gov/446/Equivalency-Exam

Request an Exam
If you are an experienced boater and have a good working knowledge of navigation rules and Washington laws, you may opt to take a 75-question equivalency exam with no reference material.

To request a equivalency exam, email  the Boating Department of Washington State Parks and Recreation with the following information:
Date of birth
First and last name, exactly as it on your current government-issued photo identification (e.g. driver's license, state I.D. card, or passport)
Mailing address (including city, state, and zip code)
Send only one name per email request. A unique numbered certification exam and detailed instructions will be mailed to you. Allow up to two weeks for delivery.
It's always good to have a plan.
It's always better to have a good plan.

Hunter

Yep.... Gutz is exactly right..    I took the test online and due to the timer, it took almost 3 hours.     Got the mail version for my wife and it took less than 30.

On a related note..... I wonder how the Einstein's in Olympia came up with brilliant plan of deciding that old  people don't need to take the course.   Makes me feel a lot safer just knowing that some old dude who just hit the lotto can go buy a 40 ft cruiser and take it out for a spin with no knowledge and no experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGD-tUsySPs   
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

StreamFixer

Just about the same as the 85 year old, on oxygen support, driving his Prius down  to pick up his new 40 foot+ motor home...  Got the Prius rigged to tow too...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu