News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Water in Lower Unit honda 90

Started by mysealium, March 09, 2015, 01:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mysealium

I recently discovered a substantial amount of  water in my lower unit oil in my 2001 Honda 90 so I went and bought all the seals from a local honda dealer. $126 for all the seals/O-rings/gaskets for the prop shaft and drive shaft. Prop shaft hub unit came off fairly easy and was able to put in the two new seals and O-ring...........there are also two half circle bearing rings that fit onto the shaft that have to be placed perfectly in order for the hub unit to be properly reinstalled. Took the impeller housing apart and installed a new housing that honda developed which superseded the original housing. The new housing with redesigned seal configuration is more water tight apparently. Replaced both seals along with the gaskets/O-rings and put a new impeller in at the same time. Hopefully this solves the problem. Motor has 2800 hrs and runs excellent.

Markshoreline

You didn't specifically mention replacing the drain and fill plug gaskets but hopefully that was also done in your sealium job!   :jester:

Sounds a little complicated, did you have a shop manual to guide you?
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

mysealium

Yes I recently changed the drain/fill gaskets as well. Had a outboard mechanic friend guide me through it.

Threeweight

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

GregE

:yeahthat:  good job and thanks for sharing. 
Any pics?
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait