News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Buddy Heaters

Started by Hydro-Therapy, February 25, 2015, 01:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydro-Therapy

Bi Mart has them on sale for $69.97 Though March 8. This is best price I have seen anywhere for them.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

GregE

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

wedocq

You are funny Greg! :biggrin: You "bumped" a post from just a few hours ago.

HT,
Is that the Lil Buddy? or the Big Buddy?
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Hydro-Therapy

wedocq it is the Buddy , Not the Big Buddy and not the small round Little Buddy.

http://www.mrheater.com/sporting/portable-buddy-heater.html

These usually run about $100

H-T

Markshoreline

That model fits really nicely in the Arima sized space.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

the "Little Buddy" is $69 at ACE.  (+10% off starting tomorrow at my ACE.)
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Salmon King

I normally use a big buddy because that's what I got for free.
But the darned thing gets TOO HOT even when turned down and only using 1 bottle.
Been thinking about one of these smaller buddy heaters for a couple of years now.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Hydro-Therapy

Croaker the little buddy is the small round one that mounts on top of the bottle, with OUT all the safety features of the Buddy.

H-T

Markshoreline

That's ok!  We just neuter the safety features on the Buddy's because the wave action turns the heater off if you leave it stock!

Salmon King

Quote from: markshoreline on February 26, 2015, 10:17:52 PM
That's ok!  We just neuter the safety features on the Buddy's because the wave action turns the heater off if you leave it stock!

Yeah mark....I haven't figured out how to do that yet.  I keep restarting mine.
I think I found the switch on the bottom of the unit but disassembling the thing to get at it is what I can't seem to get.
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Markshoreline

They are real buggers to figure out where the screws and tabs are to disassemble them!  But once open you just redo the wiring so the switch isn't in the circuit.

GregE

Availability: Out of stock

$81.99 
LIttle Buddy info
http://www.mrheater.com/sporting/little-buddy-heater.html

Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Propane Heaters are the Most Popular Portable Heaters in America.

State Restriction:
MA

Country Restriction:
CANADA
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Chasin Baitman

Quote from: markshoreline on February 26, 2015, 10:43:48 PM
They are real buggers to figure out where the screws and tabs are to disassemble them!  But once open you just redo the wiring so the switch isn't in the circuit.

yeah, I want to do this.  it would be awesome if there was a way to just increase the latitude of the switch.  I.e. have it still shut off but only if tipped all the way over.  It is ridiculously sensitive.  Though if I were the manufacturer, I'd do the same!
2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

croaker stroker

There's probably a U.L. tip test it must pass before being approved.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

dw

The only difference I can see between the Buddy and the Little Buddy is BTUs (besides size). The Buddy has a high/low switch for 4000 BTUs or 9000 BTUs. The Little Buddy is 3800 BTUs. The Buddy will heat 200 sq ft and the Little Buddy 100 sq ft. Both have tip-over safety shut-off and low oxygen shut-off.

Dan
'85 Sea Sprinter
'11 E-TEC 50hp
'06 Yamaha F4

Tom Mac

You guys that have the Buddy Heaters, how do you have them set up in your boats?
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

DSCS

I have the Buddy (not Big or Little) for my 17 chaser. I put mounting screws on the hatches that go up to the cuddy. I put the screws at a height that holds the heater about an eighth of an inch off the deck. That way I am positive that the heater stays locked onto the screws. The only down side is you have to move the heater to access the cuddy.

Alan
We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves,
an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style
(which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).

dw

I bolted my Little Buddy to a piece of 16 x 16 x 1/2 plastic sheet. On the bottom of the plastic sheet, I attached 4 self sticking soft plastic bumpers. This makes a very stable base for the heater. With the Sprinter, I set it forward of and between the seats but it can be moved to wherever there is a flat surface. I'm thinking that if the water is rough enough to tip this set up over, I won't be out there.
'85 Sea Sprinter
'11 E-TEC 50hp
'06 Yamaha F4

Salmon King

dw...How well does that heat your cockpit?
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

dw

I've only used it once so far and the temp was in the 30's. It took a little time to get things warmed up and I didn't take my coat off but the First Mate loved it. When her hands got cold she could warm them right up.

dw
'85 Sea Sprinter
'11 E-TEC 50hp
'06 Yamaha F4

DSledgeR

I have almost the same setup, except it is mounted on a piece of plywood.  I place it in the well of the cuddy, just in front of (aft) of the porta potty.  With the curtains down, it'll heat up pretty fast, and almost chase you out of the cabin area.

Salmon King

That itty bitty thing will heat that good huh?

Maybe I should consider buying one of those and use the big buddy for other things... :shrug9:
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

DSledgeR

Yup....if you have the drop curtains down, it'll heat it up pretty quickly.

Zarn

Well not the hi-jack the thread... well I guess I really am.... :wink:  I don't care specifically about warming the cabin as I hardly run with rear cover on. I just want too keep a couple of windows from constantly fogging over most mornings. Has anyone used the electric plug in defrosters available at harbor freight to keep the windows clear on the smaller sr/sc's?

Any feedback on how they work besides the battery drain?
SOLD... 87'SR, Blue Stripe/Top & ETEC 90, Honda 8, Arima owner... 11 years. Gonna miss her but I'll still be around here.

Remember....when attacked by a clown posse always go for the juggler first.

Tom Mac

Looks like a lot of you guys have them mounted to hard surface, mines on plywood.
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha