News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Buddy Heaters

Started by Hydro-Therapy, February 25, 2015, 01:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salmon King

Quote from: Zarn on March 02, 2015, 11:28:43 AM
Well not the hi-jack the thread... well I guess I really am.... :wink:  I don't care specifically about warming the cabin as I hardly run with rear cover on. I just want too keep a couple of windows from constantly fogging over most mornings. Has anyone used the electric plug in defrosters available at harbor freight to keep the windows clear on the smaller sr/sc's?

Any feedback on how they work besides the battery drain?

I haven't...but I have thought about it.

Quote from: Tom Mac on March 02, 2015, 05:50:46 PM
Looks like a lot of you guys have them mounted to hard surface, mines on plywood.

I mounted mine to the back of the cabin door using the screw mount slots on the back of the unit.  Very secure and there's nothing to keep me from using the cabin.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

StreamFixer

I hang mine from two screws in the cuddy door.  The only way I could keep it burning was to take apart and bypass the tilt switch.

Takes the serious cold off even without a back drop curtain.  Seldom used because wind often blows it out.  Calm cold day, it is convenient.

StreamFixer

'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Salmon King

Soon as I can find a steal on a Wabasto I'm installing one and ditching the Buddy.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Markshoreline

2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

AlAdams

I did the same with my 2.5gal propane tank to keep it from bouncing around (strapping it to a piece of plywood).  Now it's too old and they won't fill it up for me anymore.  I used to use a propane camp stove I'd cook on and that thing would cook me out with the back curtains on.  I'm pretty sure that Big Buddy heater I just picked up at the lead pour will work just fine as long as I don't put the curtains on. 
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

'04 SR 21' w/Skip Tower  '04 Honda 130' '16 Honda 9.9

StreamFixer

Many of the box stores, Home Depot and the like, have propane 'swap' facilities.  You drop off your empty tank and pick up a new tank full of propane for basically the cost of the propane.  All automatic, no one inspects what is being dropped off. 

Only the 5 gallon units though.  The bigger ones need to be re-certified.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

GregE

Heading to Westport today stopping at Bi Mart in Aberdeen to get a Little Buddy.  PM if you need me to grab another....
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Markshoreline

At the lead pour there was a discussion about refilling the quart size containers that work in the Buddies.  Apparently you can refill the small containers from the larger 5 gallon tanks...

CanvasGuy

Quote from: Zarn on March 02, 2015, 11:28:43 AM
Well not the hi-jack the thread... well I guess I really am.... :wink:  I don't care specifically about warming the cabin as I hardly run with rear cover on. I just want too keep a couple of windows from constantly fogging over most mornings. Has anyone used the electric plug in defrosters available at harbor freight to keep the windows clear on the smaller sr/sc's?

Any feedback on how they work besides the battery drain?

I use a cheep 12 volt clip on fan..clipped to my window supports facing the driver side above the heater. Works great..
Gary Smart
boatless  now
http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

StreamFixer

Refilling 1 qt propane bottles

Yes, there is an adapter to connect the little bottles to the big tanks (5 & 75. gallon), BUT (always a but isn't there???) you have to be a bit crafty to get a real 'refill'

Back Story:  Propane is a gas at atmospheric pressure and normal temperatures.  We transport and store it under pressure as a liquid (I forget the expansion rate, but it is a bunch).  In order to get a full bottle refill you must somehow get liquid into the smaller bottle.

You do this, initially, by inverting the big tank before opening the valve (after tightly connecting the bottle of course).  That will allow a small amount of liquid into the bottle before the liquid vaporizes and the pressures are equalized.  You might get a couple of ounces of liquid into the bottle but not much more.

The way you 'fill' the bottle is to leave it on the inverted tank (valve open) for a period of time (couple of days) to allow the gas to bubble out and liquid to drain into the bottle.  The hole is very small (as you can see when looking at the bottle) and it takes some time.  I usually find a solid combination of blocks, etc. to be able to tilt the big tank so I get more than a half bottle of liquid.  You want to be careful to not fill the bottle more than 90% full.  Doing so will force liquid through your torch, burner, whatever making things very scary if you are near it, lit or not.  The liquid is expanding outside of the bottle through your appliance....  VERY DANGEROUS...

When you are satisfied the bottle is as full as you want it, shut off the main valve and unscrew the bottle.  You will have a pfft of gas when you do this. 

Remember propane is heavier than air, therefore it will accumulate in low places.  It burns really fast (compared to natural gas) and you will not outrun it if it is following an accumulation up a low area to a leaking source.  If you see a propane flash coming at your, Curl up, close your eyes and hold your breath.  You might be a little singed and not need a haircut for a while maybe a little 'sunburned', but otherwise you should be fine.  BUT (there's that but again) The best way to survive a propane flash fire is to not let yourself get into such a situation in the first place...   :doh:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Markshoreline

I guess if you buy the small bottles in the 3 packs they're not so expensive after all!  :jester:

Diablo

Quote from: StreamFixer on March 08, 2015, 08:09:52 AM
  If you see a propane flash coming at your, Curl up, close your eyes and hold your breath.  You might be a little singed and not need a haircut for a while maybe a little 'sunburned', but otherwise you should be fine. 

StreamFixer

You make it sound like the most ordinary thing to have a "propane flash coming at you".
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

StreamFixer

Seldom happens.  However, if you mess around and allow sufficient propane to accumulated in the bottom of your boat or in your shop, to reach ignitable concentrations, it is probably not something you need to worry about.  You are not likely to be around long enough to worry about that, or much of anything else for that matter ... :whistle:

The take away lesson here is, if you can smell it, get the hell out of there for a while (at least 30 minutes) and let it all dissipate...  Then, don't do what you did just before you smelled it, again when you go back...   :doh:

"Hey, hold my beer and watch this" is not an appropriate sentiment when dealing with propane...   :biggrin:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade