News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Does this hull crack look bad?

Started by betadog808, February 11, 2015, 01:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chasin Baitman

Quote from: StreamFixer on February 11, 2015, 12:56:06 PM
Fiberglass is "waterproof".  That being said, water moves through fiberglass, at an osmotic rate.  That is part of the reason we often find water in the wooden portion of our transoms after a decade or two, or three.  As water gets in among compromised layers of resin/fabric, it will hasten the failure of the composite as it is 'working' (moving) or as it vibrates.

Thanks.  I *think* I understand most of what you're saying :P:  So would areas of delaminated fiberglass show as "bubbled up" on the hull?

2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

StreamFixer

Quote from: Chasin Baitman on February 11, 2015, 01:39:37 PM
Thanks.  I *think* I understand most of what you're saying :P:  So would areas of delaminated fiberglass show as "bubbled up" on the hull?

I'm no expert.  There are others on here with a lot more knowledge about glass than I.  That being said, I think that is what you are seeing with bubbled gelcoat...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Diablo

Here is a excerpt from this page which is a much longer article on fiberglass blisters.
http://www.hartoftmarinesurvey.com/guide.html

"Fiberglass blisters form only when water penetrates to the laminate. This water not only damages the laminate by forming blisters causing localized delamination but also combines with uncured water soluble and hydroscopic components in the resin forming an acid solution which is highly corrosive to even the well cured polymers in the resin. As more water reaches the laminate, more corrosive solution is formed and more resin broken down. The effect is that of flushing the resin out from between the fiberglass strands. A laminate so affected is often referred to as having been hydrolyzed.

When a laminate gets hydrolyzed, a loss of strength takes place mostly in the form of increased flexibility. The hydrolysis is very layer specific and does not normally extend to the same degree through all layers. Consequently, the loss of strength can be quite high in the outer layer but the overall loss of strength in the hull itself minimal at least early on in the process. "

Blisters are common on the bottom of older larger boats.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

croaker stroker

Here' a quote from Belinda...

Quote from: BurnsieBabe on March 23, 2012, 10:28:49 PM
Turnips, It is not a structural issue and cannot damage your boat.  The boat would be perfectly fine if it was made without gelcoat at all, albeit very ugly.  Gelcoat is just the pretty coating.  That being said, over time it can get a bit worse and start chipping off, especially if water and dirt start causing it to separate more.  It still will only be a cosmetic problem.  Fix her this year, next year, or a couple of years from now.  It should make no difference, unless it bothers you when you see it.

Belinda :twocents:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

Please keep in mind that Belinda was not responding to this question, rather it was a question a couple years ago.  I don't think that issues was quite the same as this one.

While her answer was informative regarding the contribution gelcoat makes to the structural strength of these boats, this crack looks like it goes much deeper than just through the gel coat.

Let's be careful to not mislead anyone on an important issue such as this.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Qwakwak

This looks much more serious than a gel coat crack. From the looks of the scrapes and dings around the crack, my guess is its the result of an extremely hard impact. I'd take a dremel tool and bevel the edges to see how deep it is. Any repair will require that so you won't be doing any additional damage. Good luck.
Since 1958- 15' cracker box, '59 Performer, 18' Fiberform/90 merc, Sanger super jet/454 chev, 17' Seaswirl I/0, 20' Hydrosport/200 mariner, Grand Banks 36, 15' Proline, 19' Sea Ray,18' sloop, whaler/115 yamaha.
Now-1989 Arima Sea Ranger 17/90 merc

wedocq

Some duct tape should do 'er. Just be sure to wear your life vest every time out. :biggrin:
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

BetaDog....where is it exactly on your boat? Can you post a better pic that shows location?
I think we can all agree with your concern that it is serious....and we can all mentally masturbate this to death.
:twocents: If it were mine, I'd  start digging into the worst part of the crack to see how deep it is....you can't harm it as a good pro glass guy will start doing the same thing...and then likely recommend a fix.
Best of luck... Lvr
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

wedocq

Quote from: LvrWurst 21 SR Skip on February 11, 2015, 07:53:46 PM
I think we can all agree with your concern that it is serious....and we can all mentally masturbate this to death.

Ummm, I think you meant exacerbate.  :biggrin:
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Shawn...your right...Forgive me, please. I've always confused that terminology....Lvr
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Markshoreline

2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

Quote from: StreamFixer on February 11, 2015, 06:20:08 PM
Please keep in mind that Belinda was not responding to this question, rather it was a question a couple years ago.  I don't think that issues was quite the same as this one.

While her answer was informative regarding the contribution gelcoat makes to the structural strength of these boats, this crack looks like it goes much deeper than just through the gel coat.

Let's be careful to not mislead anyone on an important issue such as this.

StreamFixer

Sorry if I misled anyone.

I took her to mean that "the boat would be fine without gelcoat".   :shrug9:   ...Just pointing out that the fiberglass resin is waterproof even without gel coat. Nothing to do with the crack.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

betadog808

Thanks guys.  Well luckily the fiberglass guy was able to swing by while I was at work.  He pretty much reiterated what you said.  He wants to grind around the area to see what's really going on.  The only thing he added was that if the glass looks good and if the structural integrity is ok, he can do a patch from the outside.  It wouldn't be pretty(unless I paid more) but it would be one less thing to worry about. 

However, if there is damage to the glass/waterlogged, etc.  he suggested that maybe the boat should be scrapped.  He said you would need to remove the cap to get to the see what's really going on.  At that point, the cost wouldn't be worth it. 

He also suggested I fill the bilge to see if water exits via the crack. 

We hope to get together in a few days to grind around the area to really see what's up.

No matter how it goes, thank you so much for all the help and suggestions!

Chasin Baitman

Definitely keep us posted. Take some pics when you grind out the area if you can. I think we're all quite interested to see what you find. And good luck!
2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

betadog808

Well, filled the bilge up...no drips from the crack so that's at least a little good news...If there was a leak, it's pretty much game over right there....

FINREAPER

These boats are tough! I'm willing to bet streamfixers money that it will be a fixable repair, and she'll be ready for the water soon enough. :flag:
17 SR Chicken Hawk of The Sea

Old Chaser

Too me it looks like it might have been dumped on the boat ramp or on the pavement at one time? Is the crack on the keel? Just curious-what is the location of the crack- where does it start and where does it end and how long is the crack?   

StreamFixer

Quote from: FINREAPER on February 12, 2015, 04:27:35 AM
I'm willing to bet streamfixers money

WOW   :bigshock:  You have made it BIG time   :arms:  Just to be sure I have enough for you to bet, would you be interested in purchasing some guaranteed winning lottery numbers???   :biggrin:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

First Cabin

Quote from: betadog808 on February 12, 2015, 12:24:43 AM
Well, filled the bilge up...no drips from the crack so that's at least a little good news...If there was a leak, it's pretty much game over right there....

Certainly not game over even with the crack no matter how deep.  A good fiberglass man will make quick work of that and it will be good as new.

I had Arima do a few fiberglas repairs on my old Sea Ranger and they made it look so darn easy.  Reminded me of a good drywall guy.  Better to pay an expert.  You can do yourself but it will take many times longer and not look as good.

I think it is important to take a grinder to that and reveal just how serious, or not, that ugly crack is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

betadog808

Quote from: Old Chaser on February 12, 2015, 06:16:28 AM
Too me it looks like it might have been dumped on the boat ramp or on the pavement at one time? Is the crack on the keel? Just curious-what is the location of the crack- where does it start and where does it end and how long is the crack?

It's cracked on the port side of the keel.  A little to the side of the keel point.  The crack is about 2 feet.

I'm just hoping when we expose the crack the glass looks ok...

croaker stroker

....or the keel roller came off of the trailer and the supports gaffed the hull.  (Hopefully not all the way thru)

Looks like there's a thick layer of MarineTex/Bondo goop to grind through.

I actually had something like that happen on a roller trailer. The rollers turned upside down. Lucky I was going really slow and was able to avoid damage.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

betadog808

Quote from: ejthomp on February 12, 2015, 07:30:44 AM

Quote from: betadog808 on February 12, 2015, 12:24:43 AM

Certainly not game over even with the crack no matter how deep.  A good fiberglass man will make quick work of that and it will be good as new.

I had Arima do a few fiberglas repairs on my old Sea Ranger and they made it look so darn easy.  Reminded me of a good drywall guy.  Better to pay an expert.  You can do yourself but it will take many times longer and not look as good.

I think it is important to take a grinder to that and reveal just how serious, or not, that ugly crack is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thomp, I hope you're right.  But my glass guy was saying that if it comes down to having to do a repair from the inside, the money spent wouldn't be worth the boat's worth.  I guess I'm not going to worry about it too much until we see what's going on in there.

Qwakwak

I agree with Old Chaser. I'm thinking it was dropped off a hoist. Seems if it was dropped off a trailer the gouges would be parallel with the crack. It looks like the previous owner threw some bondo on it hoping the buyer wouldn't notice.
Since 1958- 15' cracker box, '59 Performer, 18' Fiberform/90 merc, Sanger super jet/454 chev, 17' Seaswirl I/0, 20' Hydrosport/200 mariner, Grand Banks 36, 15' Proline, 19' Sea Ray,18' sloop, whaler/115 yamaha.
Now-1989 Arima Sea Ranger 17/90 merc

Old Chaser

I don't think there is any stringer or reinforcement on the other side(inside in the bilge area) with the damage being so close to the keel. The way I see it you're only dealing with the one thickness of hull in that area. Some one please correct me if I'm wrong! I think next I would check the area for soundness in and around the damaged area by pushing(carefully) against the fiberglass to see if there is any give or weakness. When your testing the area use something that wont puncture or damage the hull any more- maybe the blunt end of a hammer handle or rubber end of a hammer handle -- be careful. After doing this test --and you find no areas that spring or bend or move excessively in and out, I think you could say that the damaged area is structurally sound. Then al l you need to do is fix the damaged area (a little bit of fiberglass and some gel coat) and you would be back in business. Something like that for a little bit of piece-of-mind. I remember Don saying those hulls are very very strong.

betadog808

Update...so the glass guy came by today and did some grinding.  He said the damage isn't as bad as it could have looked.  It looks like the crack goes along the hull more than into the hull, so that was good.  He wanted to do a good job, so he ended cutting out the affected area and will fill it.  Then he will put a layer of glass, hence why he sanded off gelcoat around the area.  The large area will also allow him to feather the repair so it doesn't have a huge bump.  We both agreed that the look is secondary, safety is much more important.  Here's some pics, more to come as he works on it.  Thanks again for all the help!