News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Columbia Springers Mar 1 - Apr 10

Started by GregE, January 29, 2015, 04:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregE

300,000 fish forecast... Season opens March 1-April 10.  I've not fished this on my boat and haven't been out in about 20 years.  Need to learn the Big C-  :arms:

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/reelt...f-more-than-300000-fish/#.VMqsCPRf5f0.twitter
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

BruceL2_Fish

Greg, I am right there with you.  I would like to learn it but I think I will have to wait a couple of years until I retire so I can come down and learn during the week when it is not so busy.

Bruce
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

First Cabin

Learn the big C for Springers?

Don't burn yourself out in March!  I wonder what the number of rod hours per fish is in March.  It must be a scary number.

First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

BigMac

The springer run seems to be getting later every year.
Like ejthomp says, keep your powder dry.  I plan to put the boat in the water the last week of March (unless good catch reports).
The season closes just when the dam counts go way up and the fishing gets good.  Happens every year.
As I recall, last spring the season was extended because the catch had been so poor.
Oh, and BTW, when the bite finally picks up, they let more water out of Bonny and that kills the bite. 
But-----the springers sure are yummy!

(Dave)

Peddler

For learning this fishery, I recommend guides Eric Linde and Kyle Hall. I've fished Spring and Fall Chinook on the Columbia with both, and will do it again. Both are outstanding guides. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Threeweight

River has been high and cold during springer season the last few years, which seems to delay the runs.  Unless something changes dramatically with snow in the Northwest, we may not get that this year (not a good thing, we need it to get juvenile salmon down the river and past the dams).

I am probably going to take April 6-10 off and fish that week hard. 
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

BigMac

Peddler,

You are so right!  Eric Linde ,my neighbor, is an excellent guide and a class act.

(Dave)

BruceL2_Fish

Thanks for the name of the guides to hook up with.  I know that is the way I learn rivers I have never drifted before.  I will have to look into booking a trip.  Won't be this spring, looking at the calendar and it is full.  How the heck did that happen.. :shrug9:
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

StreamFixer

I doubt you will learn much about drifting the Columbia.  It is pretty much either an anchor (which guides seldom do) or troll show...

Most folks troll

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

BruceL2_Fish

Russ, I understood that to be the case.  I was just reflecting that the tip to go with a guide is a great way to learn a new fishery, like I have done on smaller rivers accessing with my drift boat. 

When I first built my drift boat I watched videos and read books about how to operate it, but going out with someone that knows what's happening sure speeds things up. 

My hope is to do the same so I can so putting my Arima on the river will be more enjoyable because I will have some clue about what to do.

:beerchug:
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

AlAdams

I go out with a guide on the Cathlamet for springers every year.  It is pretty simple fishing but it's nice to go with someone who knows all the little things that help catch fish.  The guides call the guys that anchor up "rope-a-dopers".  They actually like those guys because they stay out of the guides way.  All the years I've gone down there the guide has never anchored up. 
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

'04 SR 21' w/Skip Tower  '04 Honda 130' '16 Honda 9.9

StreamFixer

Guys

One of the PDX Rats can usually break free to enjoy a day fishing when you want to come down.  WA license works anywhere on the Columbia, Willamette R or Multnomah channel, not so much.  Drop a PM or give a call...  If I don't have a Honey Due I have to do or (shudder) actually working on a job, I am usually available as a last resort.. :biggrin:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Vancouvertechie

Yes, don't anchor up.  It is just a waste of your time.  I would troll, troll, and when in doubt.  Do some more trolling.

VT
2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)
1992 Zodiac Hurricane Honda 135HP
1987 44' Tollycraft Motoryacht

StreamFixer

Spoken by the man who seems to ace anchoring and tying into lots of fish --- while anchored...   :whistle:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

BigMac

SF,

You're right.  I've seen VT land a few and cracker a few.  He's one serious fisherman! 

One memorable day while on the hook, he was an innocent bystander--er--fisherman next to a yelling, swearing, cannon ball throwing, gun brandishing episode.  Stayed cool through it all.  What a guy!!

(Dave)

Threeweight

Going with a guide is very good advice.  Springer fishing looks simple, but it most certainly isn't.

Springers travel in very specific lanes, depending on river level, tide, temperature, and current.  The guys who catch 90% of the fish are the ones who have a sense of where to target them.

If you watch the Ifish web site, there will be lots and lots of posts about how much the fishing sucks in March and April.  Same thing every year.  90% of the fish that are caught are caught by the 10% of anglers who have mastered the fishery.  Everyone else complains about the sea lions, the quality of the herring this year, river levels, etc...

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Vancouvertechie

Quote from: Threeweight on January 30, 2015, 10:33:39 AM
River has been high and cold during springer season the last few years, which seems to delay the runs.  Unless something changes dramatically with snow in the Northwest, we may not get that this year (not a good thing, we need it to get juvenile salmon down the river and past the dams).

I am probably going to take April 6-10 off and fish that week hard.

BUT on the good side it means the fish will be in on time.  PLUS with the low water like in 2008, if you know the lanes it is like shooting fish in a barrel.  Because it is so low there is only a very few paths for the fish to run.

As for IFISH, and most online web forums you can take what people say with some skepticism.  Lonely men that have nothing to live for sometimes embellish their fishing success and some men find that fishing is all they live for.  Which to me is sad.  Probably explains why there are so many strip clubs in Oregon. 

I may sound bitter, but the truth hurt sometimes.  And I am hurting from that loss, but more importantly from the constant hematuria and pain I am experiencing. 

VT

Zarn

Our family of 7 fisher persons decided not to support WA state in any angling licensing once again (year 8) and will not support the Willy tax (CR endorsement) imposed in all rivers to their headwaters that drain into the CR in the state of Oregon. Our annual fishing budget alone is a modest 5 figures which is now spread around elsewhere on both coasts. Unfortunately this amounts to a big loss for local retailers who used to benefit widely from our local angling participation.

The controlling agencies have designed the annual CR springer open dates historically to not be anywhere around the "peak" run dates. Water temps (below 47.5 degrees) an large flow rates have really put the kibosh on the CR springer run to a large degree as well. Therefore, increasing the cost to you in days spent chasing very little. The CR or its tribs. are no longer my cup of tea. I do however miss fishing the lower Klick. But I am not gonna run 150 miles r/t for one spring chinook.

I much prefer the taste of ocean fresh salmon anyway and that is right around the corner. My wife won't eat a "river" fish even if it is a springer. 
SOLD... 87'SR, Blue Stripe/Top & ETEC 90, Honda 8, Arima owner... 11 years. Gonna miss her but I'll still be around here.

Remember....when attacked by a clown posse always go for the juggler first.

Vancouvertechie

Zarn,

That is what I like about you.  You are a straight shooter!  With the low snow amounts the flow rates and water temps might be ideal for this year's run to be on time.  But we have another month of rainy weather.  The guys at Bonny don't give a rats a$$ about the fish and tend to dump water when they see fit. 

Salmon in the salt to me are a lot better than those in the river.  When comparing coho from the Columbia and coho from the sound, in my humble opinion the fish in the sound are brighter red and better tasting.  My wife and friends also notice a difference in color and texture.  But that might be my Seattle bias.

VT

Threeweight

When snow starts melting in the spring and the rain falls, that water has to go somewhere. :shrug9:

I don't think it's a conspiracy, I think it's dam operators 1) trying to avoid flooding agricultural land in the upper Columbia Basin in March/April, and 2) trying to meet the flows legally required to get juvenile salmon down river past the dams in late spring.

Lots of guys do really, really well in high flow conditions, it just requires fishing different areas and becoming familiar with travel lanes in high flow years.  If my wife can do it, you guys can!

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Hydro-Therapy

3WT you may add she does have the advantage of using a "PINK" fishing pole when catching those nice beauties. I don't know what it is about those poles but they are notorious for catching fish.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

Vancouvertechie

Quote from: Threeweight on February 05, 2015, 10:04:05 AM
When snow starts melting in the spring and the rain falls, that water has to go somewhere. :shrug9:

I don't think it's a conspiracy, I think it's dam operators 1) trying to avoid flooding agricultural land in the upper Columbia Basin in March/April, and 2) trying to meet the flows legally required to get juvenile salmon down river past the dams in late spring.

Lots of guys do really, really well in high flow conditions, it just requires fishing different areas and becoming familiar with travel lanes in high flow years.  If my wife can do it, you guys can!

Perhaps we should have an Arima Spring Chinook Derby?  Anyone? 

VT

BigMac

VT,

Thanks for showing a pic of the Maddy A. with the usual suspects and a salmon we intercepted before it got to your lure.  Wish you would not show it again, however, as it's painful to see that blue thing on the radome. 
Hope we have the same luck in the same place this year.  That was sure fun!

(Dave)

TheDoctor

Finally hooked up today for the first fish of the season. In my buddy's tin-can Fish Rite boat off Kalama.  Let the games begin!

Actually, it the river was mostly dead.  This is one of only four fished checked at the Kalama Marina.  I felt very fortunate.  K14 "double-trouble" with sardine wrap. 24 inch drop and 54 inch leader.  Procure Salmon Slammer, which, by the way, is a delicious  dipping sauce for toasted French bread!
2008 SR19 : '08 Honda BF135/BF8

GregE

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait