News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

WTB used entry level radar

Started by headduck, January 13, 2015, 05:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headduck

Hey All,

Trying to convince the better half to head to Neah Bay for the Hali opener. She is scared to death of fog and says the opener is a no go unless we have radar.

So with the boat show upcoming...is anybody stepping up to a new radar system and getting rid of the old?

If so...hit me up.

Thanks.
ed
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

wedocq

This place always has decent deal on used radar systems. http://columbiamarineexchange.com/new_page_3.htm I have an older Furuno system I bought off Ebay for $600, so these prices seem reasonable.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

headduck

croaker stroker

A used 1622 Furuno is cheap, small, and works well.

($350 on Wedocq's link)
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

headduck

I saw that. It seems very reasonable, and about what I am looking for...would be a great solution.

wedocq

They have been around for a long time. So I would guess they don't make a habit of selling junk. It might be less of a risk than a craigslist find.

Threeweight

Columbia Marine Exchange is awesome.  They are local to us here in Portland, and basically sell a mix of used gear/equipment on consignment, and stock good quality affordable new stuff in the basic boat essentials category (wire, bilge pumps, chain, hose, fittings, radios, etc...)  They are geared more towards the sailing/yachting crowd than fishing, but good people.

I'm half tempted to buy it myself, but then I'd also have to buy a radar arch  :doh:
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

StreamFixer

You could put it on my boat if that helps any Steve.  My top has a space for it...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Salmon King

[quote author]
I'm half tempted to buy it myself, but then I'd also have to buy a radar arch  :doh:
[/quote]

I said the same thing and look what happened to me TW...
It has lead me to making a new top, a rewire of the boat, relocating all of the electronics, AND making an arch!
Just so I could have radar onboard... :facepalm:

Not to mention it has been 6 months now and it's still not completed...but I'm getting VERY close! :clap:
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

headduck

The shop is a consignment shop. The end that connects to the display unit has been cut and the end is missing. 7 day garauntee, as the items have not been tested.

I am handy with a soldering iron, but am not sure where to procure the needed connector. A new cable is about $300.
They said to feel free to call occasionally to see updated stock.

Threeweight

Rather than trying to solder-splice it back together, probably more effective to just wire a new plug on to the main section.  Wonder if the old plug can be taken apart and re-used for this?

In any event, it might be worth a call to a marine electronics place (like Rogers Marine just up the road from the Exchange) and see if they could install a new plug, and what they would charge.  You might be able to find a new one a little cheaper than that as well (Google says Hamilton Marine has them for $180 or so plus shipping).

For reference, the Furuno 1623 (the current version of that unit) goes for $1280:

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Furuno-1623-22-kw-Radar-P125.aspx?gclid=CMeRpsa9lMMCFZSIfgodfZkAXw

Most used radar units under $800 or so are going to have some issue like this, or a cracked screen, missing bracket, etc...
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

headduck

Thanks for the options. Will do a bit more poking around.

wedocq

Did you ask about that Raytheon R70? Looks to be about the same vintage. Good units as well.

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

polarbill1999

Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

headduck

I did ask about the Raytheon. The Cable had been cut as well. All of them in stock had cut ends...he said it was common.

Thanks. I did see the unit in west seattle and woder about the "cranking up the gain" comment...pretty sure Google will help understand that one...