News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Boston Chaser kicker info

Started by 58Johnson, December 17, 2014, 06:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58Johnson

Questions for you guys on a kicker for my Sea Chaser 15 11...

The Yamaha F8 seems to come in a tiller only. Am I right that I can connect a remote steer like a Panther t5 with no problem on a tiller motor? I am also looking at the iTroll for speed/steering control.
Is there another option for forward control I should consider? I want to be able to hide in the cockpit out of the rain and cold.

The F8 does not come in a high thrust. I read somewhere you can put a high thrust prop on it..Am I right about that?

Also I read that the new kicker/portable models have a redesigned look to them. I hope they are not going the direction of the big eTecs!!!!

2002 Sea Chaser 15 11
Yamaha F70 Yamaha F8

Peddler

The "High Thrust" version of the F8 is the Yamaha T8, which is no longer available, but can occasionally be found on the used market.  They were very close in price to the T9.9, which has now become the "Gold Standard" for kicker motors.  Overkill for your Chaser, but not an impractical choice.  The T9.9 is available with or without a tiller.  To my knowledge you can only use a forward control option on a motor without a tiller, but I could be wrong on that.

I was not impressed with the Panther steering unit my buddy had on his North River, and he wasn't either... he eventually deep-sixed it, and went back to a tiller extension instead.  I have a Troll Master throttle control on my kicker, and think it's the cats meow.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

First Cabin

Quote from: 58Johnson on December 17, 2014, 06:42:58 PM

The F8 does not come in a high thrust. I read somewhere you can put a high thrust prop on it..Am I right about that?

Yes.  There is a special high thrust prop made for the F8.  Look on the Yamaha website.  It does not make a F8 into a T8, but it works well and improves the torque available at trolling speeds.  I used a F8 with high thrust prop for a couple years and I can highly recommend it. 

There are a number of ways to connect your kicker to your main so you can control steering from the front.  I use a simple connecting rod and a Pro-troll.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

blindmonkey

I had a F8 on my Sea Explorer that is now on my 17' Chaser. I bought a prop that has less pitch  which really improves the thrust it is 9" x 5 pitch rather than 9 x7.5 pitch, part number I think is 6g1-w4592-00 el.  Note that you can not use a high thrust prop from  T8 or T9.9 the diameter is too large. It works very well with an easy steer and iTroll throttle control. I have a tiller for when I want to control from rear-, for me it gives added versatility.
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

First Cabin

http://www.saltbossmarine.com/YamahaF8DualThrust.html

Good picture there!

Pitch   Name   Application   Spd Rng   SKU   Perf.
Bull.   
9   7   Dual Thrustâ„¢   Auminum   -   6G1-W4591-01-EL   --
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

blindmonkey

Looks same as mine except mine is 5 pitch not 7. 
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Chief of the Boat

When I was kicker shopping and deciding between tiller or remote  the Yamaha dealer talked me out of the remote setup.  The shift and throttle cables make some pretty radical bends on the smaller boats and the cables are always connected on starboard side of the motor and scrapping the cowling of the main motor.   I am glad I went with the F-8, I finally got my EZ-Steer right by looking at the customers boats at Defiance Marine.    There is a zillion different ways folks had installed their EZ-Steers and after installing half dozen myself the tech support and instructions are very vague.  For throttle the Trollmaster Pro 2 is the cats pajamas for throttle control after replacing the weak servo.  What I really like is when you need to turn the boat real sharp grab the tiller handle steer past the EZ-Steer detent and gun it.

58Johnson

Chief,
I was just writing up a response that mirrored your thoughts. Then it mysteriously vanished  :shrug9:.

The iTroll looks good for speed control.
I have Cannon Digitrolls. I could give the fish headaches combining their features with the variable speed controls of an iTroll!

I would skip the steering feature of the iTroll (Making it a hopped up version of your Troll Master 2). The EZ-Steer looks like a much better choice in terms of responsiveness.
2002 Sea Chaser 15 11
Yamaha F70 Yamaha F8