Author Topic: LED light bars  (Read 1954 times)

Offline BestBoats

LED light bars
« on: December 03, 2014, 08:54:03 PM »
Looking at lighting options for outfitting the boat. Is anyone running LED light bars? If so what brand, size, and level of satisfaction? Other setups? Thanks
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
Re: LED light bars
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 07:41:52 AM »
I have red LED's mounted about 3' apart under the gunnels, and in the overhead light.  Only time I have needed them was during 0 dark thirty departure, during which time I sure as hell didn't need what night vision I had messed up with bright white lights.

They are quite bright..

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline BestBoats

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 05:40:29 PM »
Sorry not for in the boat was thinking forward flood/spot for returning in the dark. More for emergency type use. Was looking at a 50" light bar to mount on the front of the hardtop that is around 30,000 lumens . Just curious if anyone was running them.
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

Offline Wyrguy

• Fisherman
  • Intellectuals solve problems,geniuses prevent them
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 05:51:40 PM »
IMO, you'll be wasting your money on any thought of getting a light bar to 'light your way'. As Russ says, you'll be night blinded and the light reflection off the foredeck will make it almost impossible to see anything. A spot light with a narrow piercing beam that you use to find bouys, markers, pilings, etc while going dead slow, maybe. Specialty lighting for SAR purposes too but even then, not so good. If you think it's going to be like the 4x4 guys barreling down a dirt/mud road with the trees all around... It's not.
A lot of money, but better yours than mine.

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250 O/S & T9.9 Yamahas c/w iTroll
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer c/w stainless disc brakes
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Scotty HP 2106 DR's c/w 15 lb glow ballzzzz!

Online polarbill1999

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 06:00:17 PM »
We aren't running them but my family's business has sold a few different brands of LED spot and flood lights.  The business never really focused on marine usage but we ran across them.  The best looking "marine" LED bars I have seen (just on the showroom floor) are those by Rigid.  They look overbuilt and of excellent quality.  I also noticed a lot of the commercial fishing supply companies carried them.  I am not sure they actually are any better than anything else but they look high quality.

Something to consider when looking at lights.  Unless something has changed in the rating system you can basically write off the "lumens" rating when comparing one brand to another.  Some measure the raw lumens with no lenses and some measure a true lumen of output after the lens.  There is another rating that measures the color of the light.  With the higher ratings being closer to that of natural sunlight I think.  You really almost have to compare the lights right next to each other to really see the difference and sometimes the one that looks the brightest from close range doesn't actually project the light the best. 

We carry Ecco which is more of a "value" type light but are pretty good for the price.  We also carry Grote which makes really good quality stuff but you pay for it.  Both are geared more for industrial though and I don't know how they would hold up and/or work in a marine environment.
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

Online polarbill1999

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 06:01:27 PM »
IMO, you'll be wasting your money on any thought of getting a light bar to 'light your way'. As Russ says, you'll be night blinded and the light reflection off the foredeck will make it almost impossible to see anything. A spot light with a narrow piercing beam that you use to find bouys, markers, pilings, etc while going dead slow, maybe. Specialty lighting for SAR purposes too but even then, not so good. If you think it's going to be like the 4x4 guys barreling down a dirt/mud road with the trees all around... It's not.
A lot of money, but better yours than mine.

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this.
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

Offline BestBoats

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
Thanks Rick...that's what I was wondering. Will stick to radar/plotter and a handheld spot.
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 09:47:22 PM »
Those things also blind everyone else on the water!  I hate them and it seems the owners forget and leave them on...
Get a hand held spotlight that plugs into the power plug and just use it when you need it.  I've never needed mine
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline Peddler

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 08:38:59 AM »
Those things also blind everyone else on the water!   

There's some question of legality as well, if the bright white light out shines your red/green navigation lights.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Tunacious

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 02:58:17 PM »
Best boats,  I purchased some LED Rigid lights to mount above my boat for the same reason you are thinking.  After some discussion on this site I returned  them without ever installing them.  I never looked back and am not sorry.  You can read the comments below.
I hope this helps.
Tunacious

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=7251.msg83012#msg83012
2003 Sea Ranger 21' HT
2003 130 Honda

Offline redbaronace

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 09:02:53 PM »
Definitely helpful for spotting someone in the water (rescue), and for finding the dock when approaching in the darkness.

We once stayed out way too long on our 19 Ranger on Lake Washington and came back to a pitch black dock.  I actually couldn't make out the launch in darkness (magneson) and were it not for the chart plotter crumb trail, I would have had to sleep on the boat till dawn.  It would have been nice to have that spot light in that instance.

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 10:19:25 PM »
Would a hand held have worked for you?
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline AlAdams

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 11:47:55 AM »
Same thing happened to me - not able to find the opening in a log boom. We eventually found it but I was a little nervous.  I picked up a rechargeable spotlight - $25 at Walmart. Good enough for me.
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

'88 SR w/Skip Tower  '02 Honda 90,'02 Honda 15
Electrical by R. Wyrguy.