Author Topic: Best transducer position mounting  (Read 5056 times)

Offline Im Grumpy

Best transducer position mounting
« on: November 30, 2014, 06:40:48 PM »
Just bought bought a Lowrance elite 7HDI. Where is best mount position for transducer? Johnson 115 hp motor. Thanks for any input.

Offline T-Rex

Re: Best transducer position mounting
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 10:00:04 PM »
Away from the keel, as far away from the outside swing radius of prop as you can ( 6" or more) so it doesn't cause ventilation, also keep away from any chines, you want it in line with a smooth part of the hull bottom, you should have mounting instructions with your unit, for right hand (standard) engines put the transducer on the starboard side, less chance of prop wash, line everything up so you have room for adjustment up or down, use the paper template or make one to drill pilot holes first.

Another way is to mount a piece of starboard the the transom first then you can pretty well scrap the template and no sealing over and over if you have to adjust the ducer .

If you want depth at speed then angle the stern of the ducer down slightly.

Sea Chaser 17, Suzuki DF90A

Offline wedocq

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 10:24:21 PM »
Before you start drilling, plan on installing it in such a way that if you decide add trim tabs, it won't be in the way.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki DF175 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Offline rasslingref

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 10:57:42 PM »
Any pictures to share of where the transducer is with the trim tabs installed?

David
1998 19' SR HT 1999 Honda 90 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

Offline Hydro-Therapy

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 11:09:02 PM »

:yeahthat: on WEDOCQ

I actually put mine out on the starboard sponson. You will have to fashion some wedges to accommodate the reverse angles. But by being there you are out of the way of the trim tabs and out of the prop wash. I  mounted mine 3 years ago and have had no problems losing signal or excessive spray and have never had problem of rubbing a dock with it or catching  a fishing line on it.

H-T 
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 10:14:23 AM »
Re: trim tabs, here's my solution.  No issues with this location (other than in reverse).

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline AlAdams

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 10:37:08 AM »
Here's mine. 
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

'88 SR w/Skip Tower  '02 Honda 90,'02 Honda 15
Electrical by R. Wyrguy.

Offline Hydro-Therapy

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 10:48:14 AM »
 Threeweight your smart tabs are much narrower than the 12x9 trim tabs many of us use. They would put the transducer directly behind the motor. That is why many have gone to in hull  or though hull type transducers instead of transom mount. For myself I wanted to have the speed and temp that are not available going with a in hull. Thus going out on the sponson for  a clean pickup location. ( no motor or trim tab interference at high speed or reverse )

H-T

Offline wedocq

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 10:53:49 AM »

:yeahthat: on WEDOCQ

I actually put mine out on the starboard sponson. You will have to fashion some wedges to accommodate the reverse angles. But by being there you are out of the way of the trim tabs and out of the prop wash. I  mounted mine 3 years ago and have had no problems losing signal or excessive spray and have never had problem of rubbing a dock with it or catching  a fishing line on it.

H-T
That's a great idea! Before I installed my thru hull transducer,  my setup looked like Al's.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki DF175 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Offline rasslingref

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 11:01:11 AM »
Threeweight your smart tabs are much narrower than the 12x9 trim tabs many of us use. They would put the transducer directly behind the motor. That is why many have gone to in hull  or though hull type transducers instead of transom mount. For myself I wanted to have the speed and temp that are not available going with a in hull. Thus going out on the sponson for  a clean pickup location. ( no motor or trim tab interference at high speed or reverse )

H-T

H-T
Pictures of yours?

David
Kitsap County, WA

Offline Hydro-Therapy

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 11:52:10 AM »

Rasslingref here you go :

H-T

Offline rasslingref

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 01:13:51 PM »
H-T
Thanks for the quick post.  You don't have any issues with the transducer reading?  Have you broke any transducers off being mounted there?  I've just got the Lowrance HDS7 and Airmar P66 Transducer and want to mount it soon, but am looking for the Insta Trim Hydraulic Tabs so I don't have to move anything.

David
Kitsap County, WA

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 02:41:19 PM »
My backup sonar (Lowrance HDS, used mostly for chartplotter and NMEA 2000 duties) has it's transducer on the port side sponson, where it is protected by the kicker motor.  I keep this transducer disabled so it does not interfere w/ the Airmar on the Raymarine.  Works ok here, but it will occasionally "catch air" when the boat is bobbing in big boat wakes or rough seas.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Hydro-Therapy

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 03:10:29 PM »

Rass have never hit anything with it there and those are the insta-trim tabs on my boat. And no problems with readings at all. Shown is the airmar P-58 very similar to the 66. 

Online First Cabin

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 03:31:29 PM »
Here's mine.

As these are mounted so close, I'm curious if the trim tabs ever cause problems with the water flow over the transducers.  When you have your trim tabs full down, do you ever have problems?
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Offline AlAdams

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 02:11:45 PM »
I'm not sure I can answer that question.  I do lose some clarity when I'm at speed but I typically don't have my tabs lowered when I'm running. I didn't want to put the transducer on the transom so the position its in was my only choice.  I suppose a thru hull would be best.  Maybe some day...
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

Electrical by R. Wyrguy.

Offline LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

• Fisherman
  • 17 SC Sold Currently Arimaless
  • View Gallery
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 06:49:34 PM »

Whoops...my memory is failing me. I thought it was within 6". Westcoaster nailed it by posting the instructions.....within in 12"  Thank you..

So question... :anyone: what do you lose if the Lowrance Structure Scan is not mounted within 1 Ft of the Transducer????

""""""Al....looks like you have the Lowrance down/side scan LS bundle. I see in the installation directions, the LS ducer is to be mounted within 6" of the Std. Ducer. I know on my 17 SR I had ample room inboard of the Starboard Trim Tab and the my main motor. I am wondering what the solution is for you .....????? Might be worth a call to Lowrance Tech to discuss how necessary that 6" is.......J W"""""
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:03:15 AM by LvrWurst 21 SR Skip »
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Offline T-Rex

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 07:49:28 PM »

:biggrin:

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 09:47:34 PM »
Through hull transducers avoid most of the problems with transom mounts and in many cases are more powerful!  It's easy to find 1k through hulls.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline T-Rex

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 10:26:54 PM »
Tell me about it...i have been trying to stop myself from picking up a airmar B75M, if i actually ever click the "purchase " button that is, i will be drilling through my hull, i really don't like the idea at all but the benefits will make it worth doing i bet, i already knocked my p66 flying once from a chunk of driftwood, also considering the transom mount TM150M but i wouldn't wanna hit any wood with that one. Sonar Hub is going in pretty soon so something has to give.

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 05:22:44 AM »
I installed a b175m through my hull with the encouragement and assistance of Alan (dscs), after having the opportunity to "help" with his installation.  It's really a straightforward job but it is scary to see just how big that hole is!

Offline BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 05:32:05 AM »
After seeing how well Shawns monster through hull worked it is temping.  I am running a Airimar P58 for my Raymarine E7D on the starboard side like Al's.   It works fine at speed, couple of times have lost signal in big boat water. 
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Offline AlAdams

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 06:46:30 PM »
Just measured - mine are 15" apart.  The structure scan ducer is as close to the lower unit as I could get it without it being whacked on a sharp turn.    I don't think the distance is compromising anything but I haven't been on anyone else's boat with the same equipment to compare.

Electrical by R. Wyrguy.

Offline T-Rex

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 09:34:41 PM »
Well if your happy then there is no sense in worrying or changing anything.
Being only 3" farther apart is no biggy, like the manual says just expect the "overlay" function to be off slightly, and if you don't use overlay then who cares right ?

Mark
I will be bugging you later about your install location etc.
How do you like that transducer ? I see airmar has a few new "wide" 25° fixed cone transducers, that B175H-W looks super sweet but its almost twice the price of the b75 & b175's
I don't think i would spend $1200 on just a transducer, its gonna cost me around $600-700 just to get chirp (sonar bub) getting it through an evo2 is more expensive.  I'm happy with the p66 but its not as good as i would like, especially when jigging, i like to putt around looking for bait and salmon, stop and jig when i see something.

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 07:08:13 AM »
Since I bought the 710xs along with the 175 I had no way to compare.  However, it's everything I'd hoped for with great detail and definition.  Just haven't tested it at 3,000 feet yet :  )