News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Halibut Reel Driver Adapter

Started by BruceL2_Fish, November 30, 2014, 05:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceL2_Fish

Went out to the shop this weekend and started to prototype a driver to mount on the Penn Fathom 60LW.  My intent is to make it so it can stay attached to the reel and use a standard 18V drill / driver to power.  I am not quite finished.  Still need to cut a 1/2" drive hex on the spud sticking out and counter bore the fasteners.  It will be assembled with SS cap screws when finished.  The way I have it built I believe I can leave it on and use the reel manually without any interference with normal operation.  Here are some pics.
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

BruceL2_Fish

My plan is to drive with a 1/2" deep socket mounted on the drill driver. 
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

wedocq

Wow, that looks really nice Bruce! Once you have a working prototype, how much time will it take to make duplicates?
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

BruceL2_Fish

Once I am set up if the reels are the same I am thinking a couple of hours per unit.  My problem is I don't have all the same reels.   
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Markshoreline

QuoteOnce I am set up if the reels are the same I am thinking a couple of hours per unit.  My problem is I don't have all the same reels.

Hey, that's a good thing!  I was actually thinking about your metal craftsmanship this afternoon when I was looking at the hose end mounted to my Penn 309- which slips a bit, plus the hole I drilled in the male hose end is just a little off center so there's a bit of a wobble...

So I'll offer use of my 309 if you'd like to develop an adapter for this popular reel!   :jester:
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

BruceL2_Fish

Mark not sure if the 309 is the same as my 330 GTI but that is the next one up for getting an adapter made. I think I will make up some extra blanks on the lathe when I do the next one just so I will have some started.  I still need to do a functional test of the unit I built.   

Bruce
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Threeweight

re: Penn 320/330 electric drill adapters, here's one:

http://elec-tra-mate.com/store/store.php?crn=229&rn=468&action=show_detail

You might consider a cheap 12 volt drill motor (or two) rather than the 18... take it apart and re-wire it to work off a Scotty downrigger plug, and you don't have to worry about bring spare batteries along.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

BruceL2_Fish

Well there you go, you can find anything on the internet.   Simple solution. 

Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

wedocq

Bruce, that driver that Threeweight posted only works with a few reels. The threads for most other reels are different. :shrug9:

BruceL2_Fish

Looks like they cover several Penn models as well as Diawa's. Good price for a stainless adapter.   3WT, you are right about looking into a 12V drill, I'm sure it will be almost impossible to protect them from salt intrusion.
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

wedocq

Bruce,
they must have added a few models to the list since I last checked. I should see if my Daiwa's are covered!

BigMac

Poor man's electric reel for the 1-2 times per year deep water fishing:

Go to a large nuts and bolts store (like Tacoma Screw) in N. Portland.
Have them match the diameter and threads to the reel handle nut and affix a hex nut (3/8 in my case)
Attach the suitable nut driver to a 12 or 18V cordless drill and use to retrieve your terminal tackle from the depths.
Have 2 drills set up to use simultaneously when fishing several rods with an extra drill in reserve.  Use your cheaper drills (and have your fishing partners bring theirs!) and/or buy a couple cheap ones from Harbor Freight. 
Have extra batteries and the chargers. Charge batteries at night when in port.  Note--I was surprised how long the batteries lasted.
When fishing, have a tether on each drill in use.
Position the rods/reels so the drill when in use is inside the boat.
(Don't know how much heavy rain would affect drill operation but you should be give them some protection.)

It sure wasn't as slick as the one Raimo had when fishing with us at NB last May, but they got the job done.  Must admit I was a bit envious when watching him push a couple buttons while we were reeling in using our set up.

(Dave)

Markshoreline

That sounds a lot better than the hose fittings I installed! 

BruceL2_Fish

Mark, looks like they got you covered and the price is right. 
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

BruceL2_Fish

Thought I would post a couple of pictures of the completed adapter, it is ready for Neah Bay.   Oh Yeah!!

Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Markshoreline

That is really gorgeous machining- nice job!  Will you give it a test run prior to Neah?

BruceL2_Fish

Mark, I am planning to test it out before Neah Bay.   I will be taking Michelle out to get used to her new electric Tanacom 1000 so I will try this out at the same time.  I did a functional test in the shop and it rotates very true around the center line of the real spindle. 

Bruce
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

wedocq

Here's another option. Kind of pricey though. Hey Bruce, do you think we could make something similar?
http://www.innovativefishingtackle.com/

BruceL2_Fish

That is one pretty cool little adapter.  I could build it something similar but that design does lend itself to making one offs.  There would be a fair amount of time to get to what they have got going on.  I like it, all anodized aluminum and 303 stainless should work pretty good.  It is pricey, but several machined components so, don't know they are too far off the mark.

I might have to try making one just to see how it works.  Gee thanks Shawn, another project to add to the list. 

Bruce
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

StreamFixer

Gee Bruce, I guess I could loan you my 'But reel to work with if you are just going to make one just to see how it works   :whistle:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

wedocq

Bruce,
I was thinking more along the line of the concept, rather than machining all the parts up. I went out into the garage and came up with something similar last night for Jacob's new Okuma Soltera reel. I took an 8 point 24mm socket (the 24 mm fit the handle perfect), and cut a slot for the handle. I then filled the rest of the socket with epoxy putty. I am going to file the epoxy down so everything fits like a glove. The 24mm socket appears to be centered fairly well over the handle. If it is slightly off center, I can add a wobble to the socket.

-Shawn

BruceL2_Fish

Shawn, at simplified version would be pretty easy.  We will have to give it a try.   Russ, are you coming to the lead pour?   I we could see what we could make for yours as well. 
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

GregE

Good idea,  but the Reel Crankie ( sounds like one of my fishing crew   :wink: )  isn't designed to work under load for fish.

don't you already have something that uses an electric drill?  Who was that?

How long does it take to bring a 3# weight up from 400'?
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

croaker stroker

I use to have a couple of Electa-mates. They work great !

The depth restriction for rockfish in California is now 300', so they are not used much down here anymore.  :shrug9:

Occasionally, I see them on Craigslist.

Sometimes you can even get them with the reel....(some are 24 volt)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elec-Tra-Mate-612H-Fishing-Motor-W-Penn-Senator-Reel-12-Volt-Saltwater-/271767726046?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f469e67de
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

GregE

Here's one like mine ( not received yet)- getting some new drag washers, power cord, etc

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait