News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Quick Shimano Convergence Question

Started by polarbill1999, November 19, 2014, 08:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polarbill1999

My wife is asking for Christmas present ideas.  I think I want to get a new downrigger rod that I could use mooching.  In the downrigger rod thread a few people mentioned the 10'6" Convergence as a great option.  They have a mooching version and salmon/stealhead casting option.  It appears the biggest difference is the reargrip and foregrip length.  Which one is better for running down riggers?

Also, if you were pairing a solid level wind real what would you pair with it?  I am thinking something in the $50-$100 range for the reel.  I know I have bought a couple Penn GT or GT2's for my pops that have had some troubles and would probably like to try something else.  Any recommendations?  I have never tried a lever drag.  Is that a nice feature I should look for?

Your wisdom is much appreciated
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

blindmonkey

Get a single action reel and you will never  look back  :biggrin:   Seriously the fun factor is definitely increased.
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Salmon King

Quote from: blindmonkey on November 19, 2014, 09:02:16 PM
Get a single action reel and you will never  look back  :biggrin:   Seriously the fun factor is definitely increased.

I'd love to get a center pin set up but they seem so over-priced everywhere I look.
USED ones are running 150 - 300!!
For that money I can buy 2 standard DR rods...
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

BayWolf

I've used covergence rods for about four seasons now and love them. Last season I started using a Shimano 2000GT reel on them and it was a blast. The only down side is the direct drive 1/1 ratio. It makes it really tough if you need to try to bring a fish away from a seal.

I've got penn Fathom's and have not had any problems. I'm going to try a Penn Squall w/lever drag this season. Been hearing really good things about it.

"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

polarbill1999

Quote from: BayWolf on November 19, 2014, 11:00:26 PM
I've used covergence rods for about four seasons now and love them. Last season I started using a Shimano 2000GT reel on them and it was a blast. The only down side is the direct drive 1/1 ratio. It makes it really tough if you need to try to bring a fish away from a seal.

I've got penn Fathom's and have not had any problems. I'm going to try a Penn Squall w/lever drag this season. Been hearing really good things about it.

Baywolf, are you using the mooching or casting version of the convergence.  The mooching only has 8.5" of reargrip with a long foregrip.  Is that enough to work in a pole holder and down rigger?
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

GutZ

It's always good to have a plan.
It's always better to have a good plan.

GutZ

That one originally came with the adjustable reel seat.
I wore out the end pulling it out of  rod holders and had it redone by a friend.
If you keep the spool full you can keep up with coffee grinders.

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

BayWolf

Quote from: polarbill1999 on November 20, 2014, 07:14:30 AM
Quote from: BayWolf on November 19, 2014, 11:00:26 PM

Baywolf, are you using the mooching or casting version of the convergence.  The mooching only has 8.5" of reargrip with a long foregrip.  Is that enough to work in a pole holder and down rigger?

I use FOLBE Rod holders ( lost a nice set-up trying to free a loaded Rod out of a slide in Rod holder and went to Folbe's after that.) so planting length on the rear stock is not an issue.  But, I opted for the longer butt for better leverage and to reduce wrist fatigue. 

"If you keep the spool full you can keep up with coffee grinders."   :biggrin:  Haven't heard that term in a long while!

First Sergeant

blindmonkey

Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

AlAdams

I'll second (or third) on the direct drive aka knuckle buster reel.  I was coerced into using one when up at Hakai Pass in BC a bunch of years ago.  Both my buddy and I came home and bought 10.5ft rods with knuckle busters. That's really all I use anymore when fishing salmon. 
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

'04 SR 21' w/Skip Tower  '04 Honda 130' '16 Honda 9.9

T-Rex

Polarbill
Yes there is a huge difference between the two rods, the blanks are the same but the grips are for two completely different applications.
If you troll downriggers with a levelwind/baitcaster then get the index trigger rod with the small foregrip.
The Convergence model #'s will all start with "CVC" the next letter indicates Mooching or Casting.
CVC-M is Moocher (Knucklebuster)
CVC-L is Levelwind (the one for your Baitcaster)

I would suggest slapping reels on them in the store if thats an option to get an idea of the balance.
The 10-20lb & 12-25lb line rated  rods balance nicely with an ambassaduer 6000/6500, now i know thats not a good choice for a downrigger reel i'm just saying its a good match weight wise, i would guess your reel is going to be heavier  so maybe the 12-25 lb rod is gonna work better for you.
I think the new rods are now rated 15-25lb's vs my 12-25lb from a few yrs ago ( same rod they just changed the line rating). I recommend getting Slow Action and Medium-Medium Heavy Power rods for downrigging. If you can find a "Made In Sweden" ambassaduer 7000 from ebay (not the new 7000i) it would pair up nicely with the 15-25 lb Rod i'm pretty sure of it.
I hope that helps.

Now as for this....
QuoteI'd love to get a center pin set up but they seem so over-priced everywhere I look.
USED ones are running 150 - 300!!
For that money I can buy 2 standard DR rods...
Center Pin and Mooching reels are 2 different types of reels all together, i can see how one could get confused though as they are both "single action" and the spools sit on a single pin centered in the backplate.
Center pins are for drift/float fishing rivers, they have no drags whatsoever and could never be used for downrigging unless you were to hang onto the spool the whole time  :jester:
The spools spin on finely tuned bearings or bushings with precise tolerances, the spool will spin and spin and spin with very little pressure either direction.
They have a clicker which stops the spool from spinning while you hike from spot to spot.
So if you google "center pin" your going to end up seing these and not a mooching reel, maybe thats why moochers seem so expensive ??

These are Center Pins

Mooching reels have a much larger arbor, they are quite a bit heavier and do have drags with freespool and clicker levers etc.
These are Mooching/Knucklebuster Reels

Here you can see the difference between the two

Sea Chaser 17, Suzuki DF90A

polarbill1999

Thanks Westcoaster.  That is one of the main things that had me worried about picking the right rod.  I just remembered my father had an old knucklebuster reel he brought home from the sportman's show probably 20 years ago.  If he he does still have that is it worth throwing on the "mooching" version of the convergence to use off a rigger? 

If I am going go stick with a level wind I think I would want one of these 2 part numbers of rod then:
CVCL106M2B-10-20lb Medium
CVCL106MH2B-15-25lb-medium/heavy

Do those "casting" versions above with the long reargrip have the trigger tab?  Would that need to be cut off or can you just leave the trigger?
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

T-Rex

Yes those part #'s are perfect trigger rods and are the two i mentioned.
I have never used one as a rigger rod, i used mine with the ambassaduers for drift fishing river salmon , but it should be fine because my moocher's fit and the rear grip is way shorter. Just get your gear down and stick the butt in about 10" or so and let the line tension do the rest, it should never come out. If the trigger ever bothers you then cut it off with a good saw then sand it down.

And yes having a moocher version for that old reel is a good idea, i will say though most of the older reels have whimpy drags and are bard to tune, if the reel doesn't work out it could spoil the whole experience for yourself, but you could get yourself a new $100 shimano gt or something like Gutz and others have..which are great bang for the buck, i don't like the modern Diawa moochers, they don't last like the shimano's do.
And if your still not satisfied you would still have a perfect set up for throwing a live herring over the side while anchored or drifting, after all thats what these rods & reels were originally used for  :wink:

T-Rex

I just found this video and thought i would share
Its almost 5 yrs old but a couple laughs for sure.
For anyone who is already a fan of the convergence and wouldn't mind upgrading to a nicer rod the "Dave" the guy in this video is using the rod you want. The Shimano Technium.
I already have 3 of them lol, one drift rod and Two moochers.
Awsome rods, but oh ya this video is about a reel, i got distracted by the Techniums sorry ..

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ypuFdsy3Cb4

polarbill1999

I had seen that video.  Pretty dang cheesy.

Thanks for your help everybody.  I think I found a Convergence 10'6" moocher on craigslist.  I am going to try and get that for ~30-35 to pair with a knucklebuster.  Hopefully I can talk my wife into getting me the Casting version to pair with one of our current Penns. 

Westcoaster, I can't find anything current on the Techniums.  Have they been discontinued?
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

T-Rex

The Technium's seem to be built specifically for and advertised here in B.C. only  :shrug9:
They are still making them and gaining popularity as far as i can tell, i picked up two at the anuall Sportsman's show from the Army & Navy booth, i'm sure shimano would send some to Sportsman's show south of the border if there was a demand.
Originally they retailed for $129 but now listed at $189.
I picked up mine at the sportsman's show for $ 109, then paid $129 for the trigger rod some time later, not sure why the big price jump ?

BayWolf

Quote from: Westcoaster on November 21, 2014, 09:25:20 AM
I picked up mine at the sportsman's show for $ 109, then paid $129 for the trigger rod some time later, not sure why the big price jump ?

Because you keep increasing demand!   :jester:

First Sergeant

Salmon King

WC...
Thank you for educating me.
I was of the thought they were one and the same.
Now I know to look for a SCREAMIN' DEAL on a MOOCHING setup.
Is there anything else I should look for when I buy?

PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

GutZ

50# braid, but that's a whole nother thread ;)

T-Rex

No Problem SK, my pleasure.
As for things to look for, you already know the rods so nothing to add there.
As for reels, having a Free spool lever makes things much quicker/simpler, otherwise you have to loosen and re tighten the drag every time you set your gear. Its a personal preference thing like everything else, my nicest mooching reel does not have one.

First Cabin

You guys are talking right up my alley.  This year I really fell in love with the mooching rods and reels.  I found them to be excellent for trolling herring in the Columbia.  Here's one outfit I use.

Found this reel in the bargain bin at Cabelas.  Was marked down to $74.99 minus 20% so I paid $59.99 plus tax.

The Shimano Convergence was very reasonable and a good rod.

Seems that since the Canucks use this style of rod and reel, but few Yankees do, we can find bargains from time to time.  I just purchased a G Loomis SAR 1265 BC for a song...  Now I'm saving my pennies for an Islander to go with it.  Hoping Santa will be good to me.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

2Steelhead

The setup that Thomp has is the exact same setup as I have. I used to use a short Okuma rod/reel combo for downrigger fishing but after a few trips to Campbell River I am a knuckle buster/mooching rod convert. It is so much more fun to play an 8 lb fish on a Convergence 10'6" rod rather than those meat sticks I used to use. It requires a little more skill as well (see picture of GUTZ).... :twocents:
2002 19' Sea Ranger Hardtop
Yamaha F115TLRA
Yamaha 9.9

T-Rex

Glad you guys are happy
That's Awsome !!
:party:

First Cabin

Quote from: Westcoaster on November 21, 2014, 01:57:48 PM
Glad you guys are happy
That's Awsome !!
:party:

Westcoaster,

Any reports on the new Islander?  http://www.islander.com/reels/mr2la

It has the size and drag of the MR3, but the free spool design of the MR2.  I've got my eyes on getting one to put on that G Loomis.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8