Author Topic: Fixed Bracket Help!  (Read 2017 times)

Offline BayWolf

Fixed Bracket Help!
« on: January 22, 2015, 05:11:31 PM »
I found a fixed bracket. But when I look at the bolt placement on my boat (19 SR) it seems really low. on top of that, there is that chine "ridge" on the transom the runs right through the middle of the pattern.  Is this location too low to use for a fixed bracket?  I want to be able to use the tiller.

Also, the area where the motor mounts sits back 15" from the mounting plate for the transom.  Is that too far back.

Here's a picture of my bolt pattern.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:

Offline Markshoreline

Fixed Bracket Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 05:32:31 PM »
With that bolt pattern your bracket will need to have some up lift to it so that you can accomplish the usability that you desire.  That's why you'll also need the XL (25") so the prop will have sufficient depth in the water.  I'll see if I can find a pic of mine to post here.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:36:20 PM by markshoreline »
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline BayWolf

Re: Fixed Bracket Help!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 05:53:56 PM »
That's exactly what I was afraid of! Is that type of bracket hard (and expensive) to locate?

It this a typical bolt location or something that only a few boats have?  Also, since this is a 99 and there are no cut outs under the port side, what kind of backing on the bolt mounts can I expect. Will they be strong enough to hang a 4 stroke 9.9 on or do I  need to reinforce them?

First Sergeant

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 06:03:04 PM »
It may be hard to locate- it was perhaps the last Salt Boss... But it wasn't expensive, around $400 installed.

I'd run your pattern by the Arima folks.  They must deal with this issue, so would know what needs to be done here.  They now have two bolt patterns drilled into their kicker brackets and they have the best bracket for the money now a days.  Make sure they know the length of your kicker shaft.

My boat is a 2002, but I believe the bolt pattern was one of a few that Arima would install based on dealer preference.

The transom is very thick and has a fiberglass plate sandwiched in the middle so it's plenty strong for a 9.9.  There's already nuts behind there that are anchoring your bolts- you can probably see/feel them if you remove a bolt.

Offline Markshoreline

Fixed Bracket Help!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 06:09:28 PM »
Baywolf,
I have the Canadian fabricated bracket that came with my boat that I replaced with the SaltBoss.  It's made of galvanized steel but you could bolt it right up and it would work.  You could also get an aluminum fabricator to copy it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:17:34 PM by markshoreline »

Offline blindmonkey

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 06:12:01 PM »
My bolt pattern on my 17' is like that. I am mounting a Bite Me bracket. Tom Mac has it on his 17' and it works with a long shaft 8hp Yamaha from what he posted. His is a tiller I believe. 
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Offline BayWolf

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 06:31:28 PM »
Thanks guys!

Great to have this board.  I'd be lost without it!

First Sergeant

Offline Hunter

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 08:05:39 PM »
These two threads (see links below) might provide some additional info that might help answer some of your questions....including that there is a stainless plate with welded nuts already installed on the inside of your sponson.   

My  opinion is that whatever you decide...it'll be best to utilize your existing bolt locations rather than drilling new holes in your boat..  Personally, I think the Arima aluminum bracket a $449 is the currently best option now that Salt Boss is out of the game.   It will bolt right up to your current bolt pattern...and... if you do need to raise the height of your kicker for any reason, it would be a simple modification to add your own jack plate to the bracket. 

As for the chine transition, seems like a piece of starboard below the chine will easily flush out the mount.

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=8458.0

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=8489.0
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:14:38 PM by Hunter »
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Offline BayWolf

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 08:32:53 PM »
thanks to all the guys on this board! It is, by far, the best board I've ever been on!  I think I got a solution.  (Thanks again!  :wink:)

First Sergeant

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 08:54:08 PM »
I used a timber falling wedge.  They are long, slender & plastic.  Split it in half length wise, then cut the pieces you need to fill in the angles.

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline BayWolf

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 09:47:45 PM »
Great Idea!  No need to re-invent the wheel!   :applause:

First Sergeant