News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Lowrance HDS-7 with a CHIRP transducer?

Started by BayWolf, November 13, 2014, 07:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BayWolf

I was originally going to add this to my post gathering Intel and input, but I thought a new thread would be better.

After playing and reading and digging into info., and factoring in how and where I fish, I'm leaning toward a Lowrance HDS-7 with a CHIRP transducer. Sooooo...

Do any of you guys run a set up like that?

Pros?

Cons?

Any other input is much appreciated.

I did receive a tip from a member on who and where to go for the best pricing. But I want as much user input as I can get before I commit.  After all, it is a good chunk of change.

As always,  thanks to all of you and to this great board!
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

AlAdams

I picked my 9" up after the Sportsman show in Puyallup. They were selling the demo units at a decent discount.
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

'04 SR 21' w/Skip Tower  '04 Honda 130' '16 Honda 9.9

Andre Morin

You are probably talking about the Elite7 with the 83/200/455/800 transducer. The HDS require the sonar hub (+$500).

If you fish shallow water (less then 50ft.) you wont get much more with CHIRP.

BayWolf

Quote from: wallyandre on November 13, 2014, 07:24:09 PM
You are probably talking about the Elite7 with the 83/200/455/800 transducer. The HDS require the sonar hub (+$500).

If you fish shallow water (less then 50ft.) you wont get much more with CHIRP.

I rarely fish shallow. Mostly south Puget, Sekiu, neah. Salmon, black bass, lings and want to start halibut.

I looked at the Elite 7 with CHIRP. Had a dealer tell me they are having real problems with it freezing on the boot screen. Also, the maps are not near as good as the HDS. Not expandable either.

I wish the came out with a HDS/CHIRP unit.

First Sergeant

Andre Morin

In you're title it was HDS7.

The freezing problem has been cure with the latest update V4. For the mapping it takes the same has a HDS except the Platinium.

The processor is slower . It's a excellent unit for the price but if you got the budget for a HDS go for it.

BayWolf

Quote from: wallyandre on November 13, 2014, 07:58:40 PM
In you're title it was HDS7.

The freezing problem has been cure with the latest update V4. For the mapping it takes the same has a HDS except the Platinium.

The processor is slower . It's a excellent unit for the price but if you got the budget for a HDS go for it.

Thanks.  Yes, I'm talking about a HDS platform.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I went through the units again tonight at Cabela's and was told that the pre-loaded maps on the HDS units (and what I saw) are much better and include tide and current informational points.  The Elit-7 does come with CHIRP now, but Lowrance HDS platform doesn't come bundled with a CHIRP transducer (sonar hub) but it does support CHIRP.

First Sergeant

DSCS

I have to agree with wallyandre on this one. I did a lot of CHIRP research last winter. Even as much as I love all the electronic toys on my boat, there is no way I could justify the expense of going CHIRP. If you are doing a lot of deep halibut fishing CHIRP may be beneficial. For salmon fishing conventional sonar is just as good and arguably better than CHIRP with a lot less fuss dialing in frequencies and such.

That said...  if you gotta have CHIRP then you gotta have it. Like me with my auto pilot and E/H trailer brakes. Most people say I don't need 'em. I would not want to live without them.

Alan
We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves,
an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style
(which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).

Lingripper

Perry just received my HDS7 with lss2 transducer and 83-200 transducer for my bass boat the whole package $860 at oasis electronics if you want he 50-200 only $60 more. Go with the HDS the Elite has no engine data and wont network to other units.  Think if I was redoing my Arima that is the way I would go.
1990 Ranger 19 Ht
2009 140 Suzuki
2008 Yamaha 8 HT

BayWolf

Quote from: Lingripper on November 13, 2014, 10:14:15 PM
Perry just received my HDS7 with lss2 transducer and 83-200 transducer for my bass boat the whole package $860 at oasis electronics if you want he 50-200 only $60 more. Go with the HDS the Elite has no engine data and wont network to other units.  Think if I was redoing my Arima that is the way I would go.

Hey Gregg, yup, pretty locked into the HDS-7.  Just going back and forth between a standard 50/200 transducer or (since its supported) going with CHIRP with the HDS-7.

First Sergeant

Lingripper

Think they only had a few left at that price if you do decide to go that way about 450 off regular
1990 Ranger 19 Ht
2009 140 Suzuki
2008 Yamaha 8 HT

BayWolf

Quote from: Lingripper on November 13, 2014, 10:34:48 PM
Think they only had a few left at that price if you do decide to go that way about 450 off regular

Can you provided the URL for the site? I googled oasis electronics but just got crap.

Tnx

First Sergeant

Lingripper

1990 Ranger 19 Ht
2009 140 Suzuki
2008 Yamaha 8 HT