News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Making or shortening a coaxial cable

Started by Chuck Jones, October 21, 2014, 10:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Jones

I am trying to find a way to shorten the coaxial cables that go to the Lowrance  HDS  head units.  I find that due to the length of the boat, the standard 20 foot coax cables that come with the unit....are just not quite long enough to reach the head unit where it's located on the dash.  The only solution seems to be buying an extension...but they only come in 15 or 20 foot lengths.

Is there a way to cut and resplice in the end connectors? Or is there someone who sells shorter lengths of the coax? I only need a foot of extra length, and dont' want to have to coil up and stash 15 or 20 feet of extra cable.
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

Wyrguy

Chuckster... IMO, don't!!! If you can get the right ends (not sure what cable it is you're talking about) but any 'splice' will end up possibly corrupting the data, making your unit useless. If you can find the ends AND a friendly electrical contractor that does high end data wiring you may be ok... The right tools, the knowledge to do it.

$0.02
If we were closer I know just the guys to do it for you!

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

Chuck

As with so much of today's equipment, you are dealing with Radio Frequencies (phase waves) here.  How they move on the coax cable creates electronic inter-relationships (signal phases), such as occurs in antenna cables on your radio. 

The cables that come with the unit are most often 'designed' to accommodate those relationships and keep everything in sync.  Shortening or lengthening the cable will alter how those phases interact and give you diminished or altered readings (in the case of a radio you will lose transmission power).

I can make the cut and splices for you, I do it regularly with my radio gear, however:

With my HAM radio gear I have a tuner with a HUGE variable capacitor and an adjustable coil, both of which must be adjusted each time I change frequencies to obtain maximum transmission power and 'best' reception.  The newer units (that means more expensive) have elements that will do that automatically if the antenna is 'close' to being correctly trimmed (resonant).  Your equipment does not have those elements.

My advice to you is to buy the correct extensions, coil the coax (which actually helps protect the more delicate electronics from stray signals that could cause harm) and get on with life.

Let us know what you decide to do.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

fishmiester

Also being a Ham Operator, i strongly agree with S.F :yeahthat:
If it swims, Ill  chase it
84 17' Seachaser, 2010 90hp Tohatsu tldi, BF15 Honda Custom welded kicker bracket.#lovethisboat

Hydro-Therapy

Chuck you are just going to have to bite the bullet on this one !!!! :hoboy:

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

whale

How long of extension do you need? If it's only 2 ft , you could buy something like paddle wheel. It comes with little cable that adds on. At least you get some other option out of it.
2014 Sea Chaser 17, Yamaha F90, T9.9

fishorcrab

Are you sure the cable is a coax?  The connector looks like it may have as many as 9 pins.  They may be twisted pairs within a shield.

Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

AlAdams

Chuck - I had the same issue with the length of the Lowrance cable.  Two more feet would have been perfect.  I've got the cable coiled up inside the electrical compartment in the cuddly.  The same thing happened with my old Bottomline.  The good news is when I knicked the cable with my dremel (don't ask...) it turns out it was the extension, not the main cable.  Living a charmed life, sort of... 

For those of you that have read this all the way to the end, if you need an older fish finder that works well, I'll make you a good deal on a Bottomline Sidewinder.  Guess I should put it in the classified section.   :shrug9:
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

'04 SR 21' w/Skip Tower  '04 Honda 130' '16 Honda 9.9

Salmon King

Quote from: AlAdams on October 22, 2014, 03:52:42 PM
Chuck - I had the same issue with the length of the Lowrance cable.  Two more feet would have been perfect.  I've got the cable coiled up inside the electrical compartment in the cuddly.  The same thing happened with my old Bottomline.  The good news is when I knicked the cable with my dremel (don't ask...) it turns out it was the extension, not the main cable.  Living a charmed life, sort of... 

For those of you that have read this all the way to the end, if you need an older fish finder that works well, I'll make you a good deal on a Bottomline Sidewinder.  Guess I should put it in the classified section.   :shrug9:

PM SENT !
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Chucker-Doo...back when you had your 19 SR HT, we hauled it up to a guy in Loomis....remember? He was an expert at electronic rigging and worked off his small ranch.....Can't remember his name, but maybe you can find him thru Bill, the Lowrance Pro Staff connection.  J W
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

StreamFixer

And in the process you have spent more time and $$$ than just buying the extension and being done with it....  And no electronic worries about the cobbled together wire.

Bueno setre Chuck   :hoboy:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Chuck Jones

Oh yeah JW...I forgot about that fellow....he did work with co-ax....but I think at this point I'll just get the shortest Lowrance extension I can find and coil up the excess.  It's just a bit disconcerting to have to put in a 20 foot extension for a 6 inch shortfall.  (no follow-up comments JW!!!)

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

CJ.....they make pills for that shortfall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Edog64

W7CTU
Proud Owner:
1990 Arima Sea Hunter
48 HP Johnson
7.5 HP Mercury

Chuck Jones

Markshoreline

Chuck,
That's not an acronym like wtf or something...
It's his ham radio call letters, like "Adam12" or "Dragnet" or something....   :jester:
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

StreamFixer

W7CTU is not a valid HAM license...  Anybody know what he is trying to imply (I hate acronyms)

W7SFR
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

fishmiester

I noticed that also when I ran it on qrz. maybe a typo? :shrug9:
If it swims, Ill  chase it
84 17' Seachaser, 2010 90hp Tohatsu tldi, BF15 Honda Custom welded kicker bracket.#lovethisboat

Chuck Jones

I've seen some acronyms like this that you hold in front of a mirror and read it  upside down or backwards and the numbers/letters spell out some word.

StreamFixer

OK Edog64 --  time to fess up...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Edog64

StreamFixer, ya got me!  :nono:  Those were my fathers call letters back in the day. He was an avid Ham but I never got into it just remembered the call letters. When I saw that a couple of the other posters were Hams I just couldnt resist.
Proud Owner:
1990 Arima Sea Hunter
48 HP Johnson
7.5 HP Mercury

strokersquid

If your extension remains straight for more than 4 hours call your Dr.