News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

RayMarine a78 install

Started by StreamFixer, September 30, 2014, 10:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StreamFixer

I just finished installing my new a78.  I flush mounted it this time.  The dash had two 3.5" holes and two 2"+ holes -- Speedometer, tach, fuel gauge and tilt indicator. 

The speedometer is fine for higher speeds but useless when trolling.  The GPS will tell me how fast I am going on higher speeds so the speedo is now gone.  I have never gotten the fuel gauge hooked up (wiring still there) so I did not mount it either.  However, I did leave room for it in the new dash configuration.

I used 1/4" black starboard  to cover the holes in the dash.  I knew there was one angle in the dash but discovered there are actually 2.  Heat-gun made quick work of the angles.

I think it came out pretty good.  Son-in-law went looking for the unit last night and could not find it...  "Where's the mounting bracket?"

As you can see, the horizontal area where the old bracket sat is a mess.  Several screw holes, a 1" chord hole, etc.  I am patching that with a piece of the black 1/4" starboard too.  Will be beveling the edges for appearance and use purposes.  I am stopping short of the cupholder.  Picture will come when it is in.

I replaced my old Airmar P58 triducer with the RayMarine c-100 to enable the CHIRP system.  Now I do not have a 'through the water' speed indicator.  I think I can live with that.  The Airmar is listed on e-bay for anyone interested.

During the install I discovered the old power chord will not plug into the new unit.  Minor PITA.

After hooking stuff up, I decided to put the chart chip in.  It is a SD/MicroSD.  The slot was about half the width of the SD chip.  Hmmmm..   :shrug9:

For future reference, Navionics has apparently been using the SD/MicroSD system since 2010.  The SD card is just the sleeve with the microSD chip (carrying the data) in it. 

I would admit to feeling foolish about it, but I remember being in awe over a 5 meg Winchester hard drive memory that sat on the floor, 18"x 18"x 14" and cost a couple of thousand $$...  besides, who would ever need more than 5 meg memory???   :nono: The MicroSD in hand has 4 GB and the newer ones are around 32 GB.

So, let's not hear about anyone not being able to insert their SD/MicroSD in a slot that is too small...  I have the T-shirt   :doh:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Threeweight

Looks awesome, Russ.  Now you'll have some dash space to put your sandwich when the rods go off  :fishing:
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

AlAdams

I'll take one of those t-shirts in white, xl tall.  Might as well be prepared. 

Nice job on the install.  I like the flush mount.  Doesn't Defiance sell the black matting? Once you get all the holes filled wouldn't it just be a simple matter of putting down a new piece of matting over the repaired area?
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

'04 SR 21' w/Skip Tower  '04 Honda 130' '16 Honda 9.9

StreamFixer

To fill the holes, you would need to install some kind of backing.  It would need to be stout enough to withstand drilling holes that might, or might not span into the patch.  I just figured it would be easier to put a whole piece across the whole area.  Then the previous mess would not matter.

Besides, getting that to patch nicely would be a real bear....   :nono:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Diablo

:yeahthat: Cover it don't patch it. That's what I did.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

rusty scuppers

Does the fact that the chip port door is magnetic, won't that effect your compass? I noticed its pretty close.

Threeweight

I think Russ shielded his compass... the wiper motor also outs off a big electrical field.

Russ, re: patching... if you are not worried about the patch under the black mat matching the gel coat exactly (I wasn't), a batch of Marine Tex will fill those holes quickly and easily.  It will be plenty to strong to hold future screws/bolts, and you can conceal it under the black dash sticky mat.

I used some cheap Home Depot textured contact paper to re-cover my dash last winter.  Has held up well.  I am pretty sure I have some extra laying around if you need it.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

AP

That flush mount looks really nice! 

Flying Arima

Very nice and clean looking install!!!
James

2015 19ft sea chaser / REEL TYME
2015 yamaha 115

StreamFixer

Thank you for the offer Steve, but I am done....  I patched with starboard as stated.  I am happy with it and, as you noted, have a place to put my sandwich during fish strikes   :biggrin:

Here's the picture of the finished product.  Need to get the wiring back into hiding under the gunnels, trimmings and dust vacuumed up and all put back together as I am going fishing Friday and need to prepare a paper to be given at a stream restoration conference next week.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

GregE

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

croaker stroker

Postus incompletus.

lackapää picellefteå
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Hydro-Therapy

Russ are you going to be able to install the sea talk to your motor for all the other info??

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

StreamFixer

Postus Finiti   :redface:

This version of the RayMarine a78 runs SeaTALKng.  I had to purchase a converter ($75 +/- w/ shipping) to be able to talk with my radio DCS (NMEA 0183).  This only allows one way communication for DCS.  The alternative would have involved getting a newer radio (NMEA 2000 compliant) (around a couple of hundred $ and allows 2 way DCS) and a different SeaTALKng backbone system (about same cost) that would have allowed several different elements to be added. 

Right now all I have to add to the system is the radio so I am done for a while.  My financial advisor has advised me of this in a meaningful manner  :hoboy: Someday, when my lottery numbers get drawn (where is Woody when you need him   :whistle:) I'll look into adding a radar.  In the mean time ----

As far a hooking up my motor, Yamaha dealer tells me the 2003 is not NMEA compliant so no need to try to hook all that up.  I would love to have the electronic gauges....  Oh Well   :beerchug:

Compass:  Yes, the unit is close to the compass, however, it is apparently far enough away as the compass heading sitting in the shop does no change when I energize the unit.  I was prepared to put a patch there too and move the compass, but it does not seem to be necessary.  I will be watching closely to see if that changes on the water.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Wyrguy

Looks nice and clean Russ...! I would've liked to flush mount my Raymarine E120w, but the dash layout is completely different for the SL vs the others. Having to pay 'extra' ($49 US) for the surface mount bracket and two thumb screws kinda 'hurt' on top of already paying for the FF/Chartplotter, P66, and external GPS mushroom.

Is that the cup holder location I've heard so many complain about letting 'liquids' drip/drain onto the helm electrical panel?
As far as lottery tickets and collecting 'winnings' I'm in that same line-up... :doh:

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

StreamFixer

I won $10 on a $2 ticket in the 1987 BC lottery.  Still have the $10 around here somewhere...

I am about to junk the free-standing bracket and thumb screws unless somebody wants it???

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

AlAdams

I have that same cup holder.  Only mine doesn't drain into the electrical compartment in the cuddly anymore.  I taped up the holes in the bottom of the cup.  Now I just need to remember to pull the cup to empty it after I wash the boat. 
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

'04 SR 21' w/Skip Tower  '04 Honda 130' '16 Honda 9.9

croaker stroker

It is a beautiful thing to behold.  I think I need one of those "sandwich bars" on my boat.  :bowdown:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

Croaker

You can use mine any time you wish ...  BUT... 

A. none of your 'special' fish lifting techniques before you handle the sandwich  :hoboy: and

B. you have to provide the sandwiches   :clap:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

croaker stroker

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a sandwich today.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

pedeboy

:arms: streamfixer
you are SOOOOO awesome....just joined the forum this evening and there I found your post. Just put the transducer on my new (to me) 19' sea ranger  this afternoonand planned on figuring out where to mount my new raymarine 78A  fish finder tomorrow...... never would have thought of flush mounting it till I saw your post.thanks so much. off to a good start on the forum.
19' sea ranger..115 hp Yamaha..9.9 Yamaha kicker   northern ca coast and delta, sac river

StreamFixer

Pedeboy

I sure like having the screen out of the way...

Remember the rules on here---  no pictures, IT DID NOT HAPPEN (we should not be that way, however, once you get to know some of the these nefarious characters you will understand why we are   :whistle:)...

Picture posting process can be found here

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=130.0

Take your time getting the hole right, and remember, no matter how many times you cut off 'just a little bit' the board will still be too short   :doh:

Looking forward to seeing steps and the end result.
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

croaker stroker

Streamfixer......XYZ

(You forgot something)

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

Croaker

And what might that be???  I just checked my post and it looks complete to me    :wink:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade