Author Topic: HDI vs HDS vs CHIRP  (Read 12283 times)

Offline Markshoreline

Re: HDI vs HDS vs CHIRP
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 08:01:12 PM »
I went with the Garmin 741XS which is on the small side but fits perfectly in the center of my dash and it is large enough, especially having my old Garmin 546s that can provide chartplotter or sonar services when needed.  I understand your preference for something easy to use and I also wanted a high performing unit.  The tech experts here such as 3wt understand the nuances that make certain brands better but after doing in store trials with all the units I came out wanting the Garmin because I could make it work.  Coupled with the xHD radar which overlays onto GPS maps I can find a tiny entrance in a heavy fog.  The Airmar B175m 1k transducer is chirp compatible and has a remarkable bottom picture similar to EJ's post pics.  Those three components make an outstanding package that could only be improved by going to a larger display, judging from my fishing experiences with the unit.  That being said, you probably can't go wrong with any of the recommendations in this posting.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline Rangerman

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
I have the 5" Dragonfly, a very nice unit with not a lot of adjustments, this is a GPS/sonar combo but I just use it as a fishfinder.
 I also have an older 5"color chart plotter.
I like having separate units, in case one unit goes out you can still fish. Also you end up with 10" of screen. 

Offline Qwakwak

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 08:18:01 PM »
I run a Garmin GPSMAP 740S. It's about 1 1/2 years old. Cost with transducer and ball mount was about $1250 plus professional installation. Some areas we fish drop off to 600' deep and it works great at that depth. Lots of features. Worth every penny. I'd suggest increasing your budget about $500 and get a full featured unit with at least a 7" screen.
Since 1958- 15' cracker box, '59 Performer, 18' Fiberform/90 merc, Sanger super jet/454 chev, 17' Seaswirl I/0, 20' Hydrosport/200 mariner, Grand Banks 36, 15' Proline, 19' Sea Ray,18' sloop, whaler/115 yamaha.
Now-1989 Arima Sea Ranger 17/90 merc

Offline rusty scuppers

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 09:41:48 PM »
Don't forget the warranty, Raymarine has 3 yrs. Most of the others only 1. Warranties are usually a good indicator of how much a manufacturer stands behind their product.