News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

when to change gas water spin on filter?

Started by CanvasGuy, June 27, 2011, 02:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanvasGuy

as the topic states....I just finally changed mine after 300 hrs... :hoboy:

how often do you guys change yours...?

thanks
CG
Gary Smart
boatless  now
http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

Hydro-Therapy

I do it at least once a year and carry an extra all the time.I use the raycor with the see though bottom and drain . I may be overly cautious,but keeping clean fuel and oil have always be a priority.

Hydro-Therapy
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

Danno

:yeahthat:

Although I wouldn't change it yearly if I had one with the drainable bowl but I always change the standard type yearly.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

CanvasGuy

OK thanks.

. now.. does anybody have a newer Honda 90 or that they have a water separator  bowl mounted by the engine that needs inspecting?..cleaning?.. how often and does it have to be  cleaned and is it suppose to have fluid in the clear bowl?or is that water?...

CG
Gary Smart
boatless  now
http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

Threeweight

Mine gets a new fuel filter every year, usually in the spring.  More worried about rust forming on the inside of the filter over the winter, then ending up in the engine, than I am about the filter element itself going bad.

I started using filters w/ a clear plastic bowl this spring (they fit my standard Moeller filter head).  I have yet to see water in my fuel, but if they work like a diesel filter, the clear bowl should show water in clear bubbles floating around inside the dark yellow gasoline.  It should always have fuel in it.

The clear plastic bowl is nice because you can drain the filter before you take it off the head, with less of a mess than the standard kind.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Old No7

Quote"I do it at least once a year and carry an extra all the time.I use the raycor with the see though bottom and drain . I may be overly cautious,but keeping clean fuel and oil have always be a priority."

Amen to that!

In my mind -- regardless of the brand of outboard on the back -- it's a small cost when amortized over the year, and is cheap insurance.  Just one less thing to worry about when you're 10 miles out...

The confidence and peace of mind it brings, like for most things preventive maintenance-wide, is priceless.

Old No7
"A bad day on an Arima, is better than a good day at work!"

croaker stroker

My experience with Racor filters is....if the filter gets wet, the boat stops running. That's how I know I need to change it.   :jester:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Yachter Yat

Like Threeweight, I change water separator and engine fuel filter every spring.  Do that, use a good fuel stabilizer and tape your tank vent when boat is not in use and you can probably kiss most of your fuel problems goodbye.

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Markshoreline

I frequently purchase fuel in marinas and have learned to watch the filter bowl closely.  For some reason I've picked up lots of water from them.  Always carry a spare filter and bowl plus a strap wrench to assist with the removal!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

ishan

i think the fuel/water seperator on the hondas does not have a filter in it,
it is a plastic cup that you dump out. mine had some pretty yellow looking shelack in it this year.

"red fish blue fish"
'06 19' SR
honda 135 & yammy f8

Threeweight

That filter on the engine itself is the last-line of defense.  The fuel-water separators most of us are talking about is a much bigger unit installed between the fuel tank and the hoses to your motors.

If you don't have one, it is a really, really good investment!
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson