News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

is 90 hp 2012 honda has enough power for 19' SR?

Started by ericsearanger, September 18, 2014, 10:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericsearanger

I want to install 2012 90hp honda on 19' SR . Am I have enough power to push this boat with 4 fishermans and gears or sell 90hp buy 115hp- 135hp honda , yamaha . I need your advices captain.
1989 19' SR . 2016 140hp suzuki . 2016  9.9  Yamaha

Hydro-Therapy

Eric some will say that the 90 is OK. In my opinion it is if you just plan on using your boat in the upper river and some lakes. If you plan on crossing bars and using it in the Buoy 10 area of the Columbia I would go for more power. I was actually the mouth of the Columbia in August with much the same load as you described and got into a situation where I was at full throttle with a 115 on my 19SR and the boat was not making any forward progress . This left me wishing for more power in a big way.In most cases the 115 is plenty,but with a heavy load you need to think accordingly.  I would vote to sell the 90. IMHO.  :twocents:

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

ericsearanger

Thanks for your experiences . I will look to 135hp honda after I done restoring this boat. Hopefully get in time for  hood canal spot shrimp in May 

Threeweight

I would add a 140 Suzuki to your list to consider.  Lighter and much less expensive than the Honda.  In the Portland-area, Siglers Marine and Sportcraft Marine are both dealers.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

wedocq

It's doable. I have a fishing buddy with a 99 SR that has run the 90 Honda for a long time. He fishes offshore almost exclusively.  So it's possible, but it's not a speed demon.
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Markshoreline

If you're regularly going to run with 4 guys and their gear a 115 or more would be better- not saying you couldn't run the boat, though.  It is always best to save as much weight as possible on the motor so the Suzis are probably the weight leaders right now.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

amazing grace

I had four adult males (no heavy weights) and one child plus a fairly light load of gear on my 19SR with a Yamaha 115hp two stroke and kicker. I am pretty sure I would not of wanted less hp. Add in less than ideal conditions or factors and you are asking for trouble or at least have no margin for error.  :twocents: Think bigger.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

billsarima

I can't speak about the 19' but I think the 90hp Honda was a great match for my 17 chaser.  I run it with the 15 pitch four blade prop and have plenty of hole shot power.
High Hopes a 1987 Sea Chaser 17', Honda 8hp and 90 vtec, with scotty 1106's, Lowrance HDS5

Flying Arima

Where do you fish? If you are fishing in the ocean I would say get the 115.  The 90 will do the job it is just a little under powered. Some people run 90's and are happy with the performance
James

2015 19ft sea chaser / REEL TYME
2015 yamaha 115

Kingfish

I have a 2003 Honda BF115 which is pretty much the base 4 cyl. engine the Accord has.  I was once told that the only thing that separates the 115 from the 135 Honda is the throttle bodies and a computer chip.  I have never researched this but I can buy into it just a little bit.  So, I don't know if it would be worth it or even doable to upgrade a 115 to a 135 by making these changes.

Steve.

2003 19SR, Honda 115, Baystar Hydraulic Steering, Lewmar Pro-Fish 700 Windlass with enlarged anchor locker.
Retired IT Manager who loves Salmon Fishing on the Sacramento River!

ericsearanger

I mostly fish at tillamook bay  and crossed  Barview jetty, I used in on 19' crestliner a lighter aluminum boat , I will check out the price between honda 135ph and suzuki 140ph. thanks all.

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

I agree with 3 Wt on the Suzi.........compare the weight differences of the Honda 135 & Suzi 140. Think it will be lighter and give you more HP at the prop. Lake or ocean...nothin beats havin more horses. Most important criteria for either choice is getting good local qualified repair service and parts availability. Just my 2 cents.  J W
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!