Author Topic: Smart Tabs - Goodness Reaffirmed  (Read 774 times)

Offline Grizzle

Smart Tabs - Goodness Reaffirmed
« on: June 24, 2011, 04:22:26 PM »
After having them on the boat for 3 years I temporarily "disabled" them today to see if they were scrubbing speed off the boat.  They do take .3 mph off of the top end, but the bigger story was I had forgotten how much of an improvement dynamic trim tabs make to the ride of the boat.   With the smart tabs the boat rides "bigger", feels heavier and less reactive to waves and chop.   When I cross over a set of waves, the smart tabs dampen out bow bounce in 2/3 of the time it takes without them, and the amplitude of the bow rise is 1/2.   It was funny to bust over little waves today and have the bow rising up and down when normally it wouldnt.

I was thinking of taking them off and putting fin on the motor (trying to get a better trim angle at higher speeds), but after today I think I'll stick with the smart tabs.

Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)