News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Yamaha NMEA connection to Lowrance HDS

Started by Grizzle, June 23, 2011, 10:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzle

Anybody out there know this stuff well enough to share the knowhow on the parts I need to get engine data?

I have two HDS 5 units with no networking.  Thanks
Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)

Threeweight

PM Channel Cat (Tony) here.  He knows his stuff, and gave me a ton of help setting my network up. 

I might be able to help a bit.  On my boat, I basically needed one of the NMEA 2000 "starter kit" cable bundles, plus the specific adapter cable for my motor.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Channel Cat

What Year is your Yami? I would be glad to assist you in your quest for the right parts! :beerchug:
Team Arima
"07" 19'SR, 115 HP E-TEC, 9.9 Johnson 4 stk.

GregE

Wow, talk about timely.  Hope you don't mind expanding this...

With all of the temp warning and water warning issues on my Honda 200 I was thinking I should NMEA the info to my Garmin 525 plotter or HDS 5X.  I have some system sharing using NMEA 83  as the HDS is the only 2000 system  - the Honda is a 2004. 
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

StreamFixer

As far as the Garmin goes, if Channel Cat cannot help, I have found the Garmin Tech support to be excellent.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Grizzle

Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)

Channel Cat

Grizzle, Your Yami is so new, I cannot find the data on it, so I would suggest you contact your dealer to find out where the NMEA 2000 data plug is at. You will be able to obtain an engine interface cable for around $90.00, and will then require a NMEA 2000 starter kit fo around $60.00. You will find the information you'll get of the worth.
120-37 INTERFACE
CABLE
Interface between and YAMAHA engine and NMEA network to display engine data. For
use with red NMEA network ( hopefully they did not recently change the connector on you, Like Threeweight experienced)

124-55 N2K-EXP-KITRD
Network starter kit. Includes 2 terminating resistors (TR-120M-RD, TR-120F-RD), two Tconnectors
(N2K-T-RD) one 2 ft extension cable (N2KEXT-2RD), and one 15 ft extension
cable (N2KEXT-15RD). For use with red NMEA network.

That oughta keep you busy for a while (LOL)   Tony
Team Arima

Channel Cat

Greg, I do not believe that the Honda 2004 had NMEA 2000 provisions in their EMM (computer). The best you could do, is also ask a Honda tech.
You could however, Receive accurate Fuel usage data simply my adding a 120-39 EP-60R Fuel
Flow and MPG info (Fuel management data)
Fuel flow electronic probe. Includes N2K-T-RD (119-79) and 10 ft. cable.
and also establishing a NMEA 2000 network. I do believe the Garmin is capable, but I do know for sure your HDS can do it!
Sorry guy, but I do not know anything about the Hondas, other than, they are awesome!
Good luck
Team Arima

woody

Tony

3Wgt (Steve) Poo Pawed when I talked about interfacing my motor to my system. So I deceided to go to the Guru. I have a 1988 Johnson 2 stroke 90 HP.

What cables do I need????  Boy wouldn't I be the envy at the Freakers' Ball? (Dr. Hook and .........)

Woody

Threeweight

Woody, I'm not sure on the model #, but I believe the network adapter for your motor looks like this:

:jester:
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Hydro-Therapy

3WT I am sure Woody will make you pay dearly for that POO PAW  LMAO !!!!!!!
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

Grizzle

woody

Thanks Steve, very easy install.  Now I have a reason to take my son-in-law out since it's a two person operation.

Woody

SRanger

Think I need the same connector Woody.  Planning to upgrade by adding to DSC (DelMonte Soup Can) soon. 
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)