News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Fish Hook removal

Started by croaker stroker, September 10, 2014, 09:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

While fishing on Tuesday, Sam was wearing "flip-flops". He slipped on the fish slime on the deck and fell right on my rod. My rod broke his fall (no damage to the rod) and the fish hook dangling from the end of my rod stuck in my finger. Fortunately, the point of the hook found bone and did not penetrate past the barb. But this got me thinking that eventually one of us is going to have a freak accident like this and get stuck good.

Any ideas for a good pair of hook cutters for use around salt water ??

Oh yeah....and Sam promised not to wear flip-flops again.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Threeweight

I picked up a pair of mini-bolt cutters at Home Depot and added them to the boat tool box for just this purpose.  Tested them on big Mustad saltwater trebles and they snip them like a twig.  Sprayed them down with Corrosion block to try and protect them from saltwater.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/H-K-Porter-8-in-Wire-Cutters-PWC9W/205208608?N=5yc1vZc259

Figure they can cut the hook and make things a little more bearable until a trip to the hospital is possible (or snip the hook before pushing it through.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Jwoo 1800

Here's a horror story for you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zK1_ZVnk9Gs

That would take lots and lots of liquid courage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
93 Sea Chaser 19'
94 Merc Black Max 135
05 Honda 8 Classic

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Croaker: "OUCH!"
A freind of mine bought some Snap On compund side cutters off a Snap On vendor. Look pretty good and offer lots of leverage to cut thru heavy hooks.

I have a hardened carbon steel set of clamshell cutters that belonged to my Dad...he probably made them in metal shop 90 years ago. Have always kept them on every boat that I've owned.

Coupla "Rules" on my boat: NO FLIP FLOPS - NO BLACK SOLED SHOES!

JW
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Ko Ho

In Washington we have a ready made solution - Barbless Hooks. I had a hook go through my finger and come out the other side while releasing a wriggly Pink. The hook just pulled right out. Just be careful you don't leave a little bit sticking up when you crimp the barbs down.
2006 17 Sea Chaser, Twin Yamaha 40's

So.Cali

I saw a video on BD about this. this guy hooked his buddy with a couple different size (larger) hooks, took a length of braid line, about 2 feet or so, wrapped the line twice around the shank, wrapped the tag end around a screwriver a few times, angled down and YOINK! out it came. oh yeah, barb was in too. I would post the link if I knew how. I think it was in the "ripped" section.

croaker stroker

I saw that one. I don't think that would have worked for the guy in Jwoo's video.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Chuck Jones

Berkley makes a set of cutters specifically designed to cut the shank of hooks and other hardned wire.  I think having a set of these is dogone near mandatory.  I've only had occasion to need a set once...but that time I used the loop of leader around the curved part of the hook and yanked it out backwards.  If you do it quickly it's sort of like ripping off sticky tape from your leg....the faster the better and don't hesitate.  Not a good idea for large hooks with big barbs...pulls meat out with it.

http://www.wired2fish.com/berkley-tec-tools-hook-cutter-tool-review/
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

croaker stroker

Those look pretty good Chuck. Since my boat gets a saltwater shower practically every time we go out, the non-corrosive feature is a big plus.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

DSCS

I looked for those Berkley cutters. Couldn't find them, even on the Berkley web site.   :shrug9:

I have a Hit Tools 22-WRC75-3 7 1/2" Wire Rope Cable Cutter. I got them at Harbor Marine in Everett - they are available from Amazon. I haven't had the need to cut a fish hook, but have used them to cut the stainless snap clips like Scotty uses on their downrigger releases. That is over their rated capacity but they cut through without a whimper. They are not rust resistant though.  The ones in the pic are about four years old. I wipe them down with CorrosionX after every use.

Alan
We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves,
an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style
(which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Kahunanui

Here is a suggestion for a mini bolt cutter that I keep handy and easy to reach

Knipex 7112200 8 Inch Mini Compact Bolt Cutter

shop around lots of different pricing

you should consider a tool that can be used with one hand and be effective in cutting whatever size whatever quality hooks you have onboard - some of the advertised and 'popular' cutters will not easily or with one hand handle some saltwater big fish hooks
Stay Pono,  Lawai'a        -        U.S.C.G. -  O.U.P.V.

2001 SC 15'11" 75 hp Honda re-carbed to 90 w/ 9.9 Honda boot. Hawaii is home, currently @ USMC Camp Lejeune NC