Author Topic: Yamaha Hour Meter Install  (Read 728 times)

Offline Papa

Yamaha Hour Meter Install
« on: August 28, 2014, 06:15:24 PM »
Greetings all ---- Just moved my battery switch from under the aft seat where I could not use it to near the helm where it is now handy.  Also installing an hour meter to track the 2011 Yamaha 90 4-stroke.  There are four (4) wires coming off the engine control .... Red, Black, Yellow and Green.  I have been given hints that I should tap the R+ side of my new hour meter into the YELLOW (ignition on) wire.  I can find no place that is actually says that in writing though!  Does anyone know for sure?  I hate to just start snipping wires :(.  Any help will be appreciated.      Please reply to  rmp1848@aol.com

Into my second season on Lake Erie with the Sea Chaser 17 and I must say I am impressed with how well it handles this big Lake.
Rich Parilla

Offline T-Rex

Re: Yamaha Hour Meter Install
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 07:44:54 PM »
I would double check that.
If my memory is correct its the green wire.
I tapped into that on a 2012 F50 Tiller model
Sea Chaser 17, Suzuki DF90A

Offline T-Rex

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 08:13:18 PM »
Ok i did a quick search and yes i tapped into the green wire but was after rpm so i could prop my boat, somehow i ended up with engine hrs aswell, it was a royal pita, nobody could help me figure it out, talked to dealers and service techs galore, finnaly obtained a rigging guide and used that.

That might not be of much help as there are too many variables depending on which gauges, harness, motor etc.

But this color code might be of assitance

http://www.maxrules.com/fixyamahawiring.html

Offline T-Rex

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 09:24:31 PM »
99% sure your correct on the Yellow wire if all your after is hrs. Maybe you can find an extra yellow with a bullet connector coming off the main rigging harness, that would make it pretty simple, rather than cutting into one.
Good Luck

Offline Papa

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 12:54:06 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions to everyone who replied to my question.  On the Yamaha key switch wires the YELLOW is the correct wire to tap into if you want to install a key on hour meter.  there are 4 wires off the switch R, B,G, Y  .... yellow is the one.  Thanks!
Rich Parilla

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 10:38:02 PM »
Westcoaster  :beerchug:
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9