News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Conditioning for Colorado

Started by GregE, August 24, 2014, 10:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregE

I'm trying to get ready for 8500' ELK bowhunting camp in CO in 3 weeks and have not been able to work out as much as needed. 
Schedule, fishing, projects, slow recovery from my knee replacement, lack of initiative.......    :redface:

My 25 y/o mountain bike top bar was too high to get off safely with my fused back and that can be dangerous on several levels..
Judy found a used KHS bike in Portland and we drove down there last week and brought it back.

Nice bike with great gear shifters and 27 gears.  It has hydraulic disc brakes, a front shock and well maintined bearings- the seller was a bike Tech in a large store.  A great improvement in ride and performance and coming back up our steep hill ( without stopping    :wink:) is nearly accomplished.  5 miles today and getting stronger.

Shot a 3" group at 40 yards with both broadheads and field tips.   

ELK, ya better be wary!!     :party:

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Markshoreline

Late start but you're on the way!  Keep at it, those elk aren't flatlanders!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

GoodDays

It's going to be an awesome hunt !! Your drive and motivation is inspiring !!
Have fun. I am looking forward to the pictures and stories !

GoodDays Greg

Kimbrey

Holy Cow (in this case cow elk) a 3" group.   :applause:
Of course I know nothing about bow hunting but that grouping sounds tight to me.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

BruceL2_Fish

Greg, I can hear the Rocky theme playing in the back ground you are getting ready to rumble in the mountains.  You go!   :party:

Bruce

2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Markshoreline

Greg,
Give us an update on the training!
How's it going?

GregE

Spent Thurs - Sunday prepping  fishing and cleaning -Tuna Friday and Salmon Sunday.  Taking the bikes out today for some exercise and will be hiking hills with my bow in hand now that deer/ ELK are open in W WA.

Need to pick up the pace, CO is going to kick my butt......  :bigshock:
Greg
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Markshoreline

And there ain't much air up there in CO!

GregE

True that!!

Hiked hills 6 miles tis morning then rode my bike back up the hill.  Should practice breathing thru a straw...
Greg

SRanger

Very cool you are out there training on the new knee.  Not to mention fishing on it as well.

SR
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

Markshoreline

Greg you need to bring some of our sorry a$$es along with you!  Way to go!

GregE

So........  you're gonna help pack my ELK down from 9000'?!?!?!?    :applause:
Greg

Hydro-Therapy

For a free trip to an Elk Camp such as you are going to I would sure try to help. I am a good cook and can bring a good bottle of whiskey for a kill bottle !! But with my bad heart you may have to pack me off of the mountain instead of the elk.   :hoboy: There is nothing like going to elk camp no matter where it may be. My wife even gets real moody around November on years that I am not going to camp. As she notices how unwound I am on return.  Good Luck a bring back a good eating one. You know you can't eat the Horns.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

GregE

Camp cook duties

I pass this vista on the way to my CO elk area. 
The mixture of aspen, oak brush and fir over the cotton woods and valley ranch lands is typical of the area . 
Taken in mid September, the aspens are already turning in some places. Camp is in a place similar to this about ' right there'.    :wink:

Love those aspens.    :biggrin:

Greg

GregE

BTW, the new knee is a challenge but I'll get by taking it easy.

The larger issue is back packing an ELK quarter..  The back was fused 4 1/2 years ago and is my weak link.

Here's a side view to show how the rods are connected to the vertebrae.   the 4" screws tie in the hip ilium.

Greg

Markshoreline

What an XRay!
Camp sounds great but I was thinking the conditioning exercises would be helpful!

Wyrguy

That's a scary looking X-Ray Greg....! [emoji27]

This one of my son Mike after crashing his mountain bike and destroying his helmet a few years ago was bad enough... :doh:

Now I know why he likes fishing so much though... :shrug9:

Just take it easy...

Wyrguy Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

Danno

That is one great xray there Rick!   :clap:
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.