News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

"New" Boat Purchase. 22 Sea Legend?

Started by Hunter, August 24, 2014, 06:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter

My Boat Purchase Journey.

Being that my wife and I are about to embark on boat buying journey,  we've narrowed it down to a few strong contenders.  Arima is among those and that's how I've landed on this site as a new member..  I'm also seeing that there are a lot of Northwest folks as members here so hoping to gain and also share some local knowledge.

I figure that I'll just update this thread as I go through this journey.

Here's where we are right now.

Wife and I are experienced boaters, divers and fishers.  We both just turned 59 and we're looking to buy our next boat.  We recently sold our 1802 Trophy to move up to something better and bigger.   I'd say that 80 to 90% of our trips are launched out of Everett, WA  and inside Sound but we still take trips to Sekiu, Neah Bay and a haul up to Ucluelet is always a fun adventure.   

I'm basically approaching this with the mindset of getting the best bang for my buck that will fit into my shop.  Right now we're looking at Hardtop / Pilot house options including Seasport 22's, Arima Sea Legend 22's, and possibly even an all aluminum Raider 22.   Our preference is for outboard power and we're finding that most of the Seasports are I/O.   We also are attracted to the better MPG's that it appears will be the case with the Arima SL 22. 

My shop gives me exactly 30ft (Grand TOTAL with about 2 inches to spare) length with the door closed...   My doors are 12ft wide with a clear height of exactly 10ft, 11in.   I also know that I might have on option to go with a pivot/swing trailer tongue if needed.   

Anyway......a couple of questions.

1)    Can someone with a 22 Sea Legend tell me what the clear height and total length with trailer is?  (keep in mind that I  can tilt down the outboard down to a few inches off the slab while stored in the shop.

2)    For those of you that have experience with both the Arima SL 22 and an aluminum pilot house such as the 22 Raider or North River provide any opinion on overall performance compared to glass boats?

Thanks... sincerely appreciated..

PS... Just to see if I can post pics I'll try to attach some pics of our shop and the 1802 recently sold..

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Peddler

Regarding SeaSport, if you're able to find a 22-footer with an outboard, it's not going to fit in your 30-ft shop.  The motor would be hanging out on a transom bracket that adds a little more than 2-feet to the length of the boat.  My 24-ft SeaSport with outboards is 35-feet on the trailer, with the outboards tilted down.  I wouldn't feel comfortable with a swing tongue on a boat as heavy as a 22-ft SeaSport.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Markshoreline

Are you willing to put a boat in the garage on a diagonal?
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

wedocq

Personally,  I would add the 21' Sea Ranger to your "look at/consideration" list. It would do everything you are looking at doing.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Hunter

Thanks for the reply's.   

Quote from: markshoreline on August 25, 2014, 07:34:29 AM
Are you willing to put a boat in the garage on a diagonal?

Sure... a slight angle would be ok if the situation call for it, but 've got too much other stuff in my shop  to go full on angle.

Quote from: wedocq on August 25, 2014, 07:57:56 AM
Personally,  I would add the 21' Sea Ranger to your "look at/consideration" list. It would do everything you are looking at doing.
-Shawn

I've thought of that but the two things that are important two me on the SL are the self bailing deck and better rough water transport..  Even in Puget Sound, we've had some days where it's been a long slow uncomfortable haul to get home and I want to improve rough water ride as much as possible..  But still a good idea and I might change my mind once I see one.

Quote from: The Peddler on August 25, 2014, 07:27:39 AM
Regarding SeaSport, if you're able to find a 22-footer with an outboard, it's not going to fit in your 30-ft shop.  The motor would be hanging out on a transom bracket that adds a little more than 2-feet to the length of the boat.  My 24-ft SeaSport with outboards is 35-feet on the trailer, with the outboards tilted down.  I wouldn't feel comfortable with a swing tongue on a boat as heavy as a 22-ft SeaSport.

I would not be one bit uncomfortable using an adequately rated swing tongue if that's what it takes...  I've found good USA made products that are rated up to 10,000lbs load capacity...  here's an example.   I also checked with my insurance co.. and it won't change my premium one bit as long as everything is rated for the load and the installation is done to spec.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Coupler/Fulton/FHDPB350101.html

So from that point I just pay the insurance bill and don't worry about it.   I hate paying insurance so I at least give myself the bonus of letting it take away any worries.   

Also, if it really came down to it, I could always build a bump out onto the back of my shop to accommodate a longer boat.  It's the gable end so not load bearing..

As for the boat fitting in the shop, I'm really starting to be a bit more concerned about height.  Right now I have  10ft, 11in clear to get in the shop door......  Really hoping that someone out there with a 22 SL can tell me their height on trailer.

So that also leaves a new question....   Has anyone ever heard of or used some kind of quick detach option for radar? 
All Garmin Electronics

Markshoreline

There are hinged radar mounts, but they ain't cheap!
Check in with Wedocq, he's probably got more ocean miles on a 21 than anyone else here.

wedocq

Joe,
I hear ya on the more comfortable ride. I have not ridden in the 22' to compare it my 21'. As far as handling big water, the 21' does fairly well. My HDS says I have logged over 2600 miles since installation 2 years ago. 95% of those miles have been Neah Bay or Westport.
-Shawn

Hunter

Quote from: wedocq on August 25, 2014, 05:46:23 PM
Joe,
I hear ya on the more comfortable ride. I have not ridden in the 22' to compare it my 21'. As far as handling big water, the 21' does fairly well. My HDS says I have logged over 2600 miles since installation 2 years ago. 95% of those miles have been Neah Bay or Westport.
-Shawn

Thanks for the reply Shawn...   

I'd love to see some pics of your 21...   

Being that you are logging that amount of miles on your 21, and the fact that there appear to be some nice trade-offs on overall weight, OB HP needed,  GPH, etc... I think I need to take a harder look at the 21 as a viable option. 

Questions:   Are you running radar and if yes..... what is your clear height on the trailer?   How about total length when it's bedded down in the shop? 

PS..... On a bit off topic and speaking of Neah Bay..... My all time favorite dive on the planet is Duncan Rock. 
All Garmin Electronics

wedocq

Joe,
I have a Furuno radar mounted on top of a 10" pedestal on top of my hard top. Total height is right at 10'. Total overall length from the tongue to the kicker prop (it sticks out farther than the main because it's on a fixed bracket) is about 29'5". I have heard from a few people Duncan is pretty cool!

Hunter

WOW!!!   Great pics and thanks for the measurments.   Sounds like this could be a serious contender and would require zero modifications to the trailer or to my shop.    Plus.... easier launching, towing, better MPG.... and most likey lower upfront cost. 

We had that same Suzi DF140 on our Trophy and it was hands down the best and most trouble free outboard I've ever had. 

I still want to at least see a 22 SL......but now you've really got me thinking a bit further outside the box! 

All Garmin Electronics

Threeweight

As a die-hard Arima rat, I am going to speak heresy here... but... you might also want to take a look at the 21' and 23' Parkers.  Comparable in space and fuel economy to the 22' Arima, better ride, are often on the used market for less $$.

The 21' Arima is one sweet boat.  Very stable, very fuel efficient (a 140 or 150 hp motor is perfect), and rides reasonably well for such a light boat.  I would love to see what kind of fuel economy one of the new pilot house models with the latest Suzi DF140A could get. 
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

wedocq

Joe,
I agree with Threeweight, the Parker's are a nice boat. I really, really want the Parker 2520. :biggrin:

BigMac

Joe,

I have a SL 22 HT that is garaged during the winter.

My garage door height is 9'11"; width--9'10"; length of garage from front to back is about 35'.

The 18" Garmin radome is in the center and to the back of the hard top.  It's mounted on a two piece hinge (which is bolted to the hard top) that allows the radome to be almost flush with the top of the hard top when "folded" back.  The all around light is mounted just forward of the radome and is hinged so it can be folded forward.

When loaded on the EZ Loader, dual axle trailer, the boat fits through the garage opening with about 6" clearance on each side and about 4" clearance on top (with the radome and light folded).  The length of the boat/trailer/big motor in down position/kicker is 30' so that isn't an issue  for me. 

Based on these measurements, it looks like your might be able to mount a small radome without the hinge, perhaps a hinged light, and parking diagonally might not require a swing tongue.  It would be nice to have enough length to raise the big motor for maintenance, etc., but not absolutely necessary.

I've had the 22' since 2007 and would be happy to discuss pros/cons from my experience.  PM me if you want more information.

Good luck with you quest.

(Dave)

Hunter

All I can think of to say is "Wow" again... 

Joining this forum is literally giving me a "boatload" of knowledge and experience from a bunch of nice folks..   

As a dive instructor here in Puget Sound for many years I've come to know that most people who have saltwater in their veins are generally just good folks.   Maybe it because the ocean is a constant reminder that in the whole scheme of things.....we all ain't half the bad-asses we think we are.    Anyway... thanks again for taking the time to help out and I'm actually looking forward to staying on here after my wife and I complete this boat buying journey..

Anyway..back on topic. 

Shawn & Threeweight....  Thanks for the reference to Parker, but to be honest, I'm at the point here where I'm already pretty much sold on the Arimas and most importantly...my wife really is digging the Arimas.  As a matter of fact, I'm having to keep her "reeled" in from the excitement.   I think it's just mainly the overall layouts and some of the niceties of the Arimas that have her hooked.  Me....I'm a bit more practical and willing to wait for that right deal.  We scored huge in Ucluelet three weeks ago and our freezer is full! 

Dave....  Thanks so much for the measurements and info on the radar.  That's exactly what I was looking for.  "You-da-Man"  I figure that I'll just ask other questions here so the answers can be helpful to others...which is the whole point of this forum, right?

1)    Any pics of your 22 would be great.   What main power are you running?

2)    Is your trailer bunks or rollers?

3)    What vehicle are you using for towing? 

FYI.... I have a 2007 Chevy 1/2 Ton  5.3 LTR V8 - 4 x 4 .

THANKS!       

All Garmin Electronics

Wyrguy

Joe, my 2012 22' SL HT is exactly 10' from grade to the top of my factory rocket launcher/radar pad. I took it off when I had my boat in my buddy's shop as his door is a 10'x10' at the one end. Fit fine for height after that.

My shop plans are for a 30'x20' with a 12'x12' door. With the Raymarine HD24 I'm at 11'6" (I'm using a separate mount & not using the radar mounting pad on my rocket launcher) My trailer is an EZ Loader (aluminum) bunk and with the motors down (Yamaha 250 hp O/S and my 9.9 Yamaha HT kicker on a fixed bracket, my tip to tip length is exactly 29'11" and that's to the back end of the kicker. The inside open deck space (dance floor!) is 87"x 55" from the back end of the seat base (where the drop curtain comes down) to the forward edge of the motor well. I have 28" of height from the deck to the top of the gunnels. With the factory combing pads and that gunnel height, hard to get 'over centered' in rough water. For more info, send me a PM and also have a look at the pictures in my gallery.
I'm pulling mine with a 1993 3500 Chev ext cab 2 wd P/U with the 5.7 V8 and it's not a problem.
I've been on Parkers, Grady's, and Boston Whalers. Other than a friends 33' and 10'6" beam Pursuit, I'd take the ARIMA any day for comfort while trolling, crabbing or mooching. It's not the fastest boat in heavy seas but it's the most comfortable once you get to where you want to be, and waaaaay more fuel efficient doing it too. 

Wyrguy Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

Markshoreline

Hunter

Thanks for the great info Rick..   so.... did I understand right that your boat WITH the rocket launchers in the up position as pictured here will clear my 10ft - 11in clear height shop doors? 

All Garmin Electronics

Wyrguy

Quote from: Joe Cabezon on August 26, 2014, 08:17:08 PM
Thanks for the great info Rick..   so.... did I understand right that your boat WITH the rocket launchers in the up position as pictured here will clear my 10ft - 11in clear height shop doors? 

That's right... We only had right on 10' clearance at my friends shop on the door opening and also a transition from rocky gravel to the slab floor and I didn't want to chance it hitting. It also gave me the opportunity to REMOVE all the 'fugly' silicone sealant the factory had used for bedding the rocket bases to the hardtop... :doh:

Sure wish I had it back in the shop...

Wyrguy Rick

Kimbrey

Rick I like your SL better than the one that I had.  Without the Alaska bulkhead it opens the deck up a lot.
Just one question regarding your boat...has it ever been in the water?? :biggrin: :biggrin:  Sure looks purty.

I haven't been on any of the other Arima's except the SL. One thing I can say is the boat is very stable on the side to side. You can put a couple of large guys on one side and won't experience much lean. The previous owner was a diver and had a removable dive type ladder that was side mounted. I only used it when the boat was in the driveway but it seemed sturdy.

Kim
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

strokersquid

Wow your pics really bring out the difference between a SR21 like I have and the 22. The sides are up much higher than the 21 and the interior looks bigger. That outboard looks HUGE. Good thing nobody has one around here. My little 21 would run away with its tail between its legs and hide. I second the open look without the Alaskan bulkhead. Looks like an airplane hanger without the bulkhead

Markshoreline

Kim,
Of COURSE it's been in the water.  It rains in Victoria, eh?

:jester:

Wyrguy

Kim, I really did think long and hard about the pros & cons of the Alaska bulkhead. I came to the conclusion that I really wanted that interior layout (#10) and with the Alaska bulkhead, it compromised the seating options.

Has it been on the water... Yup, just not lately due to personal medical issues.

After tomorrow's Dr appt, I'll know better when I'll be able to get her wet again!

http://youtu.be/i7gAMUTps8U

ps: the engine noise on the video is from the kicker of my friends boat

Wyrguy Rick

AlAdams

I'm hoping your Dr has good news for you Rick!  It's been a long haul for you.
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

'04 SR 21' w/Skip Tower  '04 Honda 130' '16 Honda 9.9

Kimbrey

Rick,
Hoping and praying everything goes well with the doctor.
My boat hasn't seen much water either with me being up North this past two months.  On a slow trip right at the minute which is killing me as I get to rotate home when we are done.  Oh well I'll get there when I get there.

I do think you did that SL right from the layout to color.  I had the same layout option but with the bulkhead.  I like yours better. 
Hope you are fishing soon.
Kim
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Chief of the Boat