News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Thru hull water pick up and bait tank pump.

Started by wedocq, August 15, 2014, 10:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedocq

So I did a ton of research on the right way and wrong way to install a thru hull water pick up. One of the big things I came away with is to use a backing plate to add stiffness. Rather than using a block of wood, I used a 1" block of GPO3. This stuff is incredibly strong, and was very difficult to drill thru. I used 3M 5200 to seal everything up. My bait pump I am using is an 800 gph tournament series Rule. Prior to this project, I cut an access hole in my fish box. Along with the thru hull water pick up and bait pump, I have the 2 bilge pumps and thru hull transducer. Hopefully this hasn't significantly weakened the area.[emoji12]

2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Seattleflyfisher

Very interesting product. I think the only real difference with the way arima did mine was they glassed mine in. Yours is not going anywhere either!

Good job.

SFF

Markshoreline

I like the backing plate idea to add strength to the hull.  Do you have a shut off valve in the system?
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

StreamFixer

That would be the blue handle you see...  Sea cock ball valve... 

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

headduck

One hell of an access portal .. Do you cover it somehow or does the lid to the fix box do the job?

Great additions...you guys always inspire and reinforce the absolute utility of these boats and how customizable they are...

iPhone wanted to autocorrect "additions" to "adictions"....not far of huh...?
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

wedocq

Quote from: Seattleflyfisher on August 16, 2014, 04:01:25 AM
Very interesting product. I think the only real difference with the way arima did mine was they glassed mine in. Yours is not going anywhere either!

Good job.

SFF

From my research, the reason it's been traditionally glassed in is because the wood would eventually get soggy and lose it's stiffness. The GPO3 will never rot, so that step would have been overkill. And yes, I have a bronze seacock attached to the water p/u so I can shut the water off.
-Shawn

wedocq

Quote from: headduck on August 16, 2014, 07:25:34 AM
One hell of an access portal .. Do you cover it somehow or does the lid to the fix box do the job?

Great additions...you guys always inspire and reinforce the absolute utility of these boats and how customizable they are...

iPhone wanted to autocorrect "additions" to "adictions"....not far of huh...?
Yes the fish box lid still fits over the top. Plus, the best part is my fish tray still fits in the box. I just need to add something to keep it from sliding forward and breaking my bait pump off.

Peddler

This is installed at the forward end of the fish box?  If-so, I think you put the sea-strainer on backwards.  Shouldn't the fins be toward the front, so-as to create a "scoop" to catch the water when you're running? 
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Markshoreline

It's really hard to see anything on phone pics!  You've done a great job to make the boat even better!

wedocq

Quote from: The Peddler on August 16, 2014, 09:02:06 AM
This is installed at the forward end of the fish box?  If-so, I think you put the sea-strainer on backwards.  Shouldn't the fins be toward the front, so-as to create a "scoop" to catch the water when you're running?
Oh man you scared me! I had to go back and look.  :biggrin: It's hard to tell the orientation,  but it is set up correctly. It's set up at the rear end of the fish box. Near the gas tanks and where the original bilge pump sat.
Shawn

Wyrguy

Please tell me that you didn't use galvanized bolts in a bronze fitting with brass nuts... :doh:

Wyrguy Rick
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

wedocq

Sheesh, give me a little credit Rick!  :biggrin: I don't use galvanized anything on my boat. I used silicon bronze machine screws and nuts. I can see how you got that impression though. The 5200 on the screws makes it look a little grey in the pics.
-Shawn

Kimbrey

Ok next question.
Is the high speed pickup inline with your transducer?  That is if you have a transom mount ducer.
They welded my scoop over the boats intake hole which happens to be in line with the ducer. I think I have seen a performance loss with my sounder at speed.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Kimbrey

Oh yeah if you haven't already. Go buy a couple spare cartridges and figure out some quick disconnect with the wiring so you aren't trying to crimp & heat shrink out in the ocean when you have a cartridge fail. Just have the connectors pre-wired on your spares.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

wedocq

Quote from: Kimbrey on August 16, 2014, 10:37:45 AM
Ok next question.
Is the high speed pickup inline with your transducer?  That is if you have a transom mount ducer.
They welded my scoop over the boats intake hole that which happens to be in line with the ducer. I think I have seen a performance loss with my sounder at speed.

Kimbrey,
The pick up is on the port side. Directly across from it is my monster Airmar B-258 1 Kw thru hull transducer. My little 21'er is going to be all set up for tuna! Yes, I agree after reading some of the reviews about these pumps, I better get a backup or 2. Before I do, I wanted to see how the 800 gph Rule did as far as flow rate. If it has problems keeping up, I was going to upgrade to the 1100 gph.

Airmar B258 thru hull transducer inside the high speed fairing.

wedocq

This is the view from under the bow. It's kind of hard to see with the bright reflection off the shiny hull.

croaker stroker

Nice looking install.  :clap: :bowdown:  you da man !
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Wyrguy

Shawn et al, IMO the ONLY water tight reusable connector to use for anything you might ever need to connect/reconnect is the Weatherpak ones.

Russ has used some I believe...

Best thing to use, even if you don't have the 'magic' crimp tool...!

Wyrguy Rick

wedocq

SWEET! Nice call Rick. Is this all I would need? one male and one female for each connection?
http://www.delcity.net/store/Weather-Pack-Sealed-Connectors-&-Components/p_797635.h_797637.t_1

Wyrguy

Quote from: wedocq on August 16, 2014, 11:48:58 AM
SWEET! Nice call Rick. Is this all I would need? one male and one female for each connection?
http://www.delcity.net/store/Weather-Pack-Sealed-Connectors-&-Components/p_797635.h_797637.t_1

One shroud (female) connector on the wire to the pump then every pump lead would need a mating tower (male) connector. as you were talking about multiple pumps but one feed. The 'outgoing' end of any wiring must be female with the load end (pump, light, etc) being the male end.
I've used these connectors for all my bilge, washdown, & bait well pumps as well as some lights. I even 'donated' one to the cause for Al Adams on his washdown pump. (couldn't get the gas tank out or we would've put one on his bilge pump too!!!

I don't like having to lay on my belly like a reptile trying to unsplice/resplice any wiring to those types of things so now I can reach in, unhook it, pull it out to work on it if I ever need to.
Those pumps, like mine are two wire so just make sure that every pump you wire up with connectors is of the same polarity as the end on the wire feeding it  :doh:

Wyrguy Rick

Kimbrey

Quote from: Wyrguy on August 16, 2014, 11:26:54 AM
Shawn et al, IMO the ONLY water tight reusable connector to use for anything you might ever need to connect/reconnect is the Weatherpak ones.

Russ has used some I believe...

Best thing to use, even if you don't have the 'magic' crimp tool...!

Wyrguy Rick
Ohhhhh I like the looks of those Rick!!  Thanks for posting that.

StreamFixer

Shawn -- Don't buy the crimper, I have one.  I am setting up my bilge pump for a similar quick replacement procedure.

Russ
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Peddler

Quote from: wedocq on August 16, 2014, 09:08:22 AM
Oh man you scared me! I had to go back and look.  :biggrin: It's hard to tell the orientation,  but it is set up correctly. It's set up at the rear end of the fish box. Near the gas tanks and where the original bilge pump sat.
Shawn

Whew! :) - I was using the triangle of mounting screws to judge the orientation.  Thought it was at the forward end of the fish box, since you mentioned something was needed to keep the liner-box from sliding "Forward" and breaking off the pump.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

wedocq

Quote from: The Peddler on August 16, 2014, 05:24:18 PM

Quote from: wedocq on August 16, 2014, 09:08:22 AM
Shawn

Whew! :) - I was using the triangle of mounting screws to judge the orientation.  Thought it was at the forward end of the fish box, since you mentioned something was needed to keep the liner-box from sliding "Forward" and breaking off the pump.

Well if I did install it backwards, I guess I could go with Russ's excuse and say I did it on purpose! :berry: I had such a pang of adrenalin rush thru me, I jumped up and ran out to the boat to check!  :doh:
-Shawn

Markshoreline

So Shawn,
Are you the leader in the most large holes in the bottom of your boat?  I know Alan is up there, but he has to be number 2!