News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Kicker tie bar

Started by whale, July 29, 2014, 07:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whale

Finally figured out a bar system that work on Arima.  :party: :clap: Because of sponson, I had offset the points to the corner of the motors.
I have not tested this system yet but prototype worked. Only issue ( not really) is left turn has an inch left on the radius.
I'm waiting for a quick release connector.
2014 Sea Chaser 17, Yamaha F90, T9.9

Salmon King

Nicely done!
Looking forward tomyour perfomance report...
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Flying Arima

Very nice   :applause:
James

2015 19ft sea chaser / REEL TYME
2015 yamaha 115

Markshoreline

If you come up with a system that works please share the details here!  The setback and sponsons create a challenging engineering problem.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

whale

I'm having hard time explaining how this works.
I drew on the pictures to show the normal setup with motors sit side by side.
Red dot is the pivot point the motor swings. Bar mount points draws circle around the motor. Motor centered being the high point. This point lines up with the boat because motors sit on one plane.

2nd picture shows Arima, how I set it up.
By offsetting the bar mount, I just turned the mechanics of the whole thing by 30 degree or so.
High point is connected to the high point, just not in line with the hull.

I've seen lots of people offset the main but not the kicker, this way I do have 95% movement on the kicker.
I'm not seeing any binding. It clears the sponson.
I could give you the measurement but every setup is different, it won't do any good.

whale

Tested the system today. No issue, nice and smooth.  Full motions for the turns and with little effort I was able to use the tiller to turn both kicker and main. It's almost like having two steering.

Markshoreline

Sounds like a very creative approach to the steering issue!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

blindmonkey

Interesting for sure. What are us using for brackets and pivots? I can't see them clearly in picture and what they are mounted to.
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

whale

I took some aluminum angles I had and welded few spot to make it fit where the bracket that steering linkage connects to. I actually took the bracket and slipped the piece I made, bolted it down with the bracket.
As for the kicker, same thing just a angle with few welds. Bolted to the handle with metric screw.

I am waiting for the quick release connection. As for now, I have bolt stud sticking up. Just an aluminum pipe  with holes as connecting rod.

I will try to take few close ups.

Rokefin

Whale, that is a very nice setup. I would like to try that on the 17 ft sea Chaser with the 115 Yamaha, I am hoping I would have enough room.

Can't wait to see the close up shots.

whale

Took some close ups.
Main, the bracket is held with two nuts with control bracket.
Kicker, two screws from the bottom. Pic shows a nut on top. I just need to go buy a metric screw.

blindmonkey

Very clever, I like it.
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

alaskajh

My Uncle (original owner of my 17 SC) installed an aftermarket tie bar several years ago. I'll look at the brand name and post pictures when I get home tonight.

My tie bar mounts to the other side (back side) of both motors with a quick release and hose clamps to go around the main drive units. The tie bar itself is a two piece round tube, one half being larger diameter than the other and slips over the first. There are detents in the smaller (inner) tube and a spring loaded ball bearing in the outer tube, so if I bump the kicker the tubes will telescope down on themselves, rather than cause damage to the motors or linkage. Kind of a slick feature, if you ask me, plus it makes it easy to change the angle between the two motors if I want to for some reason.

Since the linkage is on the back side of the motors, the ponsons don't come into play. Also, since the tie bar is telescoping, it doesn't bind with my kicker when I raise it up and down.
'86 17SC, Merc 90, Merc 15

whale

I believe you are talking about EZ steer. I've never used it so I can't say good or bad but I just don't like the fact that you are not able to get to it while on the water. I just hate to rig anything that I would have to reach over that I may fall into the water.
The way I wave rigged up, so far it only cost me $10.

Chuck Jones

I never did like the EZ steer setup for the same reason....having to reach over the back to install/remove it.  On the boats with bigger motors, you have a real hard time reaching back there, so you either have to rig it so it stays onand you can still raise/lower the big motor, or go thru the drill of reaching out over the transom.  I sent one of the adjustable rods down to Davy Jones' locker.  After that, I zip tied a small dock bumper to the rod so that it floated when inadvertently dropped.

There have been a few innovative designs here on ABOG that incorporate an INboard mount similar to the one shown. A quick search thru archives should bring up the pictures of other designs.   TOM MAC had a neat idea in his post on "Kicker tie bar/F90 solution".   In my opinion, the inboard mount makes it so much more convenient to put it on/off as well as eliminates the OOPS! part of the equation.  Good thinking Whale.
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

alaskajh

I think you're right, it is the EZ Steer setup that I have. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've never had to disconnect the linkage aside from when I'm working on my motors in my driveway. Both ends have ball joints to allow the main motor to lift up, as well as the kicker motor. So, for me it's a set it and forget it deal. I admit that I do have to reach back and push on the kicker to get it parallel to the main motor once in a while. But that's only the first time for the day, then it stays where it should be.

I agree there are probably other/better solutions out there, but I've had very little issues with this one. And for me, the price was right.
'86 17SC, Merc 90, Merc 15

Chuck Jones

You're not doing anything wrong....in fact, it's set up right.  If you don't have to disconnect it when tilting up your big motor, or tilting down the kicker, then that's the optimum setup. It does have a click-set that allows the connecting rod to be extended or contracted so that you can tilt the engines .  There's a setting knob on there so you can adjust the tension in the click setting.  In my setup, I had to disconnect the linkeage and hook it up when I wanted to use the kicker, and it was difficult to hang over the end of the transom to do that....which is why I dropped the dogone thing in the lake.
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

headduck

Somebody recently recommended threading the Ez steer through an extra crab buoy to save it when the inevitable "oops" occurs..,
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

StreamFixer

I used the grey pre-formed water pipe foam insulation (for 1/2" pipe).  Used a couple of zip ties to ensure it stayed on.  Check in shallow water before you "need" it to be sure it will float the rod.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu