News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Trip to Nootka Sound

Started by Markshoreline, July 22, 2014, 08:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amazing grace

I would love to be part of the flotilla for next year. Wonder what a reasonable budget would be a for trip for two? Please post  or pm me with some of your figures for past trips.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Markshoreline

The Critter cabins run about $175/night including tax and easily hold two people, so three nights is about $500 or $250/per person.
Bring your own camp stove and food and $0 travel expense there.
Fill your fuel tanks at Costco in the USA and you can fish close by and never put Canadian fuel in the boat.
We get about 12 mpg towing so have to buy fuel for the truck in Canada- that was $135 Canadian for a 20 gallon fill up.
We brought 3 ice chests- one with our cold food and two big ones that were packed with blocks and bags of USA ice.  The big ones' ice lasted the 8 days.
I've heard that Cougar Creek is $10/night plus a launch fee and possibly moorage.

If you're serious, you need to make reservations for next year very soon!  It may be possible to get a spot at Critter Cover this year if there is a cancellation...
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

amazing grace

Thanks Mark, so approx $250 per nite. Plus Food, ice,  gas, secured parking for the rig and fishing license. Curious about the ferry cost's involved?.

The other thing would be camping if one wanted to take a camper and boat? Where would you do that and how far are you going to be from the fishing grounds?

Thanks.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Markshoreline

I'd previously mentioned the $10/day launch/security fee and for our 4Runner + 21' Sea Ranger (45 feet) the ferry was $250 each way.
The camper could go to Cougar Creek (perhaps someone can confirm this) or, I understand that Moutchka Bay resort has a campground that is very nice but I haven't seen it.  Brook (Grizzle) has stayed there for an extended time so he knows it very well.  It's not as centrally located as Critter but I think it's probably a 10 minute boat ride from there.
The license is so cheap- $31 for 5 days!

GoodDays

Cougar creek campground. It a provincial site managed by Nootka watershed society. 12 bucks a night includes moorage. Can get really crowded at peak times.

Moutcha bay resort - camping is more expensive but has full services

There are other sites and resorts in Nootka sound

Google away

Good Days greg

Sea Bear

Thanks for such a trip report, Mark.  I appreciate the details.  It looks like a great trip.  I haven't been to Nootka in about 10 years, but I hope to soon.  Such a beautiful location.  Can't wait to be there again!
1981 Arima Sea Chaser 17'
Evinrude 70hp 2 stroke & Evinrude 9.5 Sportwin

www.americanbroomshop.com

Tom Mac

Looks like you had a great trip on our west coast Mark. You got some nice springs in your photos how big was the biggest ?
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

Markshoreline

Magnificent trip, and we're still tired from it!
We didn't catch any monsters by your standards, but 18-25 covers the ones we caught.  Compared to our normal fare in Puget Sound, they were all mountable!  Plus, they absolutely filled up our freezers!
You have to get after the lings up there.  Such a healthy population and when the salmon slow down it is a really fun jigging scene.  You just never know what you will be pulling up next!  My wife's favorite fishing is for lings!

blindmonkey

I need to meet someone with a larger boat to get to the outside to fish the bottom lings etc  :wink:
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Markshoreline

Not really!

Head toward the ocean from Critter and on the left there's the Villaverde group of islands.  Around there are some underwater islands- position your boat on top of one and let the current pull you down the side and jig as you travel across it.  You'll catch everything!

blindmonkey

Cool thanks for info! I fished the lighthouse a few times so must have gone by that area .
Lorne

GoodDays

Blind Monkey, you don't need a larger boat !! Any Arima is capable if fishing out there !  Grizzle has a 16.  Look up some of his posts

GoodDays Greg

blindmonkey

Thanks Greg, we were all over the inside however did not venture outside, maybe next week :smile1: Hope to see some of you folks out there.
Lorne

Foxsea

Mark, Good to meet you and your wife at Critter Cove dock.  We did well also the week we met you, the next weekend we went back for 3 days and had a hard time, storm came through and fish quit biting.
Nootka is a great place to relax, fish and visit with new friends you meet.  It would be nice to do a group gathering on Nootka but not sure where you would have it as it is usually pretty busy.
And yes, we do stay on our boat for 7 nights moorage at Critter Cove.  19 ft SR Hardtop Alaskan Bulkhead.  We have a removable camper back in case the weather gets bad, that gives us another room if needed.

Tom and Sherry
Foxsea
Foxsea

2015 21ft Sea Explorer
2016 150 Etec

Markshoreline

Thanks for the note, Tom and hope to see more of you here.  It really is impressive that you and wife can share the quarters of an Arima hardtop for 7 nights- you must be very much in love!!!
And have your systems worked out.  I'd be curious how you managed food and all the gear you would require for cooking and sleeping and how you handled all of it.
I'm sure others would be interested as well, would you mind posting how you lived dockside in a 19 hardtop for over a week???  You can either start a new topic or just tag it onto this one....
Mark

jamaica

Did you fab that roller on your bait table? How and how's it work? Looks like a paint roller. Thx
1994 19' Sea Ranger 150hp Merc 2stk 9.9hp Yam

Markshoreline

Actually it looks a LOT like a paint roller because it is!

It works great but looks funky.  Gray (the fellow I towed in Canada) has his table lifted up at least 6 additional inches so he was able to mount a skate roller under the table and the height allows it to ride up onto the cowling.

Funny, though, the paint roller actually works as good as it looks bad!  If I know how to load a video I'd post it here.

Hammer head

I was up there at critter during the same time as you but with 3 day trip and coming from Spokane was little gassed and did not socialize much. Next year I will make sure to go over to the Arima side of the Marina. I have the 21sr with the custom wood hard top Great post and pictures

Markshoreline

Just hang out here and you'll know the other Arima owners' names by next year!

Hammer head

I am going back sept 5 through 9 th hope to be able to send some pictures. Will be staying at Mootcha Bay only place that is still open in that area. Silvers should be still going strong hopefully some springs will to.

Markshoreline

You are quite the traveler!  I thought those were long days just from north Seattle.  You must have left your boat up there?

Hammer head

My son will get 2weeks off from North Dakota he will help drive. It is 612 miles to gold river on the odometer from my house, add in the ferry ride and border  it's like 17 to 19 hour trip. It's worth for 5 days of fishing 3 days you never get caught up with sleep and you are like a zombie. I do need to learn to fish Washington waters but only have so much time off a year and want to go where you know there fish and it guaranteed to be open every year.

Markshoreline

What dedication!  Nootka is the place to go.  Good luck with the fishies.

nordstrom101

T-minus 12hrs tell its time to start the journey to Critter Cove, buddy just got back yesterday and said the big fish have arrived in ungodly numbers. 3 of 4 on Thur were over 25# he was done by 10am. Will share report when i get back next weekend.

pescadore

We use a place near Bligh Island that usually caters to Kayakers but fits us in on the 3rd week in July. We send a down payment by January. It has a kitchen, several bedrooms, fireplace and moorage for 6 boats. Critter is about 15 min. away.

It is rather rustic but inexpensive.

I'm not sure what his 2015 looks like but I can ask if there's interest.