News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Anyone fishing Mid Channel Bank?

Started by AlAdams, July 06, 2014, 04:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlAdams

I'm headed up to Port Townsend this Wednesday evening to fish the Mid Channel Bank.  Will be out Thursday morning and will likely stay the weekend.  Anyone been out there?  I haven't heard any reports at all. 
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

'04 SR 21' w/Skip Tower  '04 Honda 130' '16 Honda 9.9

E-TEC Pacer

Look's like it's only open for silvers, release kings for MA 9.
17' '05 Pacer
2014 E TEC 90
I'd get rid of my wife before I'd get rid of my
E TEC and I really love my wife.

AlAdams

Looks like you're right. It opens for chinook on the 15th. Now I need to make another decision. Maybe Westport. Maybe area 6 - but I've never fished that area for kings.
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

E-TEC Pacer

17' '05 Pacer
2014 E TEC 90
I'd get rid of my wife before I'd get rid of my
E TEC and I really love my wife.

Chasin Baitman

If you want to bonk kings, definitely go west!  But IIRC july1-15 is a special "C&R" season in MA9/10 that Seattle guide Keith Robbins helped create.  Of course, it helps his business because he can run trips, but it also lets people pre-fish the king season.  You can also keep coho, of which there are a few residents around.  I think it's a good time to get out and mooch or jig (trolling isn't that fun for C&R)!  point-no-point is a great mooching spot on the outgoing.  Of course point wilson is good for jigging, thus the name of the famous jig :)

MA7 is open but is dead, dead, dead.  Goose eggs on 3 trips out.  Only good king reports I've heard are from western strait.
2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Diablo

Quote from: Chasin Baitman on July 07, 2014, 08:27:59 AM
MA7 is open but is dead, dead, dead.  Goose eggs on 3 trips out.  Only good king reports I've heard are from western strait.

I fished MA11 Saturday and it was also dead, dead, dead. I asked the checker at Don Arimei ramp and he said someone caught one on last Thursday! That's pretty bad when they tell you the last day a fish was caught.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

AlAdams

I think I'll just head to PT.  I've got family up there so that makes it an easy choice.  Crabbing is open too.  Area 6 starts west of the Pt Wilson line - you would think there would be Chinook opportunities right there but I've never fished there - always just inside the point (at the salmon hole) or the mid channel. 

Growing up we could always tell the "out-of-towners" because they were trolling with down riggers or meat lines.  All the locals jigged at slack tide then went in when currents wouldn't allow the jig to stay down. 

AlAdams

That is weird - lots of kings in the ocean but they're not coming in yet.  I wonder what they're waiting for?  Maybe there's just too much food in the ocean for them to come in. 

StreamFixer

They are just adding the # so you guys will have a tussle when they hook-up   :clap:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Chasin Baitman

Quote from: AlAdams on July 07, 2014, 09:37:57 AM
That is weird - lots of kings in the ocean but they're not coming in yet.  I wonder what they're waiting for?  Maybe there's just too much food in the ocean for them to come in.

looking at the counts for 4th of july weekend...they are not good.  The only bright spot is, predictably, Sekiu. 

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/reeltimenorthwest/2014/07/07/state-fish-and-wildlife-saltwater-fish-checks-63/

Other interesting notes:
- fishing wasn't bad in MA7 for the opener.  I guess they cleaned out all the salmon that day!
- 2 dogfish were kept at solo point (????????)
- 2 sockeye recorded at sekiu!
2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"