News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

LED bulb replacement for bow light

Started by DSledgeR, June 14, 2014, 06:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSledgeR

Hey folks, I have the standard Aqua Signal bow light, and was wondering what size LED bulb replaces the one in it.  I see a bunch on line, but the original bulb only has " *12V 5WA/S1 "  stamped on it.  Try as I might, I can't even find that one to do a cross reference to get an LED match.

Any ideas?

Chuck Jones

You have to look for the snew reference.
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

fishorcrab

SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

Wyrguy

It's not as easy as just replacing the existing with an LED. The replacement must be certified and approved for navigation light use and ensure that the red/green is visible for a minimum of 1 NM. Most LED's are fairly 'directional' in their light output and are not suitable for navigation lighting. If the fixture was designed with the reflector to show properly with an incandescent vs LED... It'd be a No-Go.

Is this what your nav light and the bulb looks like?

Changing out cuddy, cabin, & deck/spreader lighting to LED is a no-brainer... Doing it to your required safety lighting... :shrug9:

Wyrguy Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

DSledgeR

FishorCrab.....thanks, I'll look there.

Rick, agree, and should have said I'm looking for the recommended one for that particular fixture, which looks exactly like the one you posted.  I'll look at the housing again to see if it has a series number on it to reference the link FishorCrab posted.

The existing one works, but the light output is pretty lame if you ask me........might just get a better fixture altogether if the LED bulb doesn't work.

Wyrguy

That bulb is a BA9 series.

Yes, there are replacement LED's for it, usually not approved for nav light use unless the fixture is certified as LED 'friendly' as well. The easy fix if your existing fixture is 'suspect' (ie: showing sign of corrosion etc) is to replace the complete unit with an LED one. If, as you say, the bulb 'appears' to not be very bright, are you sure the existing bulb hadn't been replaced at some point in the past with the same type, but a lower wattage rating? Also, check your voltage at the bulb socket and also the wiring at the helm switch... If it's anything like the 'old' stuff I've seen, it's TOAST!!! A new DP/DT switch & terminal connectors can solve a lot of issues.

Wyrguy Rick

DSledgeR

Found it......POLAR STAR 20 LED........it's a marine grade, USCG approved replacement for the Aqua Signal series 20 fixtures.  2nm visibility versus the 1nm advertised incandescent one.

Problem solved.

Wyrguy

Call me crazy, but $24.95 for an LED vs $8.80 for a 2 pack of incandescent?

I don't know how often you're running your nav lights, but at that cost difference :shrug9:

Wyrguy Rick

croaker stroker

I try to minimize drain on the battery while anchored overnight.

I can't count the number of LED's I have purchased ths year.  I replaced all in the boat, trailer, camping trailer, motion security lights at home, most of my home interior lights have been replaced (still working on it)

To replace the 12v. Bulbs, I found a brand called "Green Longlife" "warm white".  Which looks very much like an incandescent. Amazon sells them. EBAY also has them.  I buy 250-350 lumen.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Wyrguy

Croaker, I agree completely about the theory of battery drain and the use of LED's. I've also changed over every light in the house here to LED's and the power bill dropped to 1/2 over the previous month (all during the darker winter times) My payback (with buying the bulbs at my wholesale cost) will be approx one year.
The original question on this post was for the bow light, only used while running, NEVER when at anchor. My all-round/anchor light, all of my cabin, cuddy, storage areas, bilge and deck/spreader lights are LED. My bow light isn't... I may decide to change it out to LED at the time the original bulb burns out.  $0.02

Wyrguy Rick

DSCS

Quote from: Wyrguy on June 17, 2014, 11:33:16 AM
Call me crazy,

Wyrguy Rick

Now there is an offer I can't refuse!

You're crazy  -    :rimshot:

Alan
We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves,
an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style
(which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).

StreamFixer

You always get the good ones Alan   :nono:  That's probably a one time deal too......   :wink:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Wyrguy

Quote from: DSCS on June 17, 2014, 02:12:13 PM
Quote from: Wyrguy on June 17, 2014, 11:33:16 AM
Call me crazy,

Wyrguy Rick

Now there is an offer I can't refuse!

You're crazy  -    :rimshot:

Alan

Thanks Alan...!

Wyrguy Rick

DSledgeR

Rick,

You might be right, but it is a relative PITA to change, and reseal, so life of the bulb is a variable too.  Also, it is much brighter, and in the morning fog might help. 

Will likely change out the anchor bulb too, but at a later time, before going on a trip where I anchor somewhere.

Wyrguy

Quote from: DSledgeR on June 18, 2014, 12:31:14 PM
Rick,

You might be right, but it is a relative PITA to change, and reseal, so life of the bulb is a variable too.  Also, it is much brighter, and in the morning fog might help. 

Will likely change out the anchor bulb too, but at a later time, before going on a trip where I anchor somewhere.

I never said to not change it out... for me, the $$$ didn't justify it. All I did was just some quick searching to find the correct bulb for you to use on that fixture and to still maintain the proper approvals... Some aren't aware that there are regulations to comply with. The worst time to realize that is when your insurance investigator asks all the 'hard questions' after the fact.  :twocents:

Wyrguy Rick

ps: IMHO, I'd change out the anchor light/all round at the same time (or even instead of my bow light) That's the light that gets attention before the red/green. (and its on every time the running lights are on, or, SHOULD be on at the same time) When I helped Al Adams re-wire his boat, we found the original nav light DP/DT switch wired incorrectly, from the factory ( :bigshock: ???)

AlAdams

Just a note of interest (to me anyway) - I was working on my new hydraulic steering last night and turned on the lights (nav and anchor) and THEY BOTH CAME ON!  Even after sitting idle for what, a month or more?  I believe that is a first!  I'm not all that concerned with the type of bulb as long as they work.  LED's are probably a little more reliable, I'm guessing. 
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

'04 SR 21' w/Skip Tower  '04 Honda 130' '16 Honda 9.9

Wyrguy

Quote from: AlAdams on June 18, 2014, 02:05:05 PM
Just a note of interest (to me anyway) - I was working on my new hydraulic steering last night and turned on the lights (nav and anchor) and THEY BOTH CAME ON!  Even after sitting idle for what, a month or more?  I believe that is a first!  I'm not all that concerned with the type of bulb as long as they work.  LED's are probably a little more reliable, I'm guessing.

WHAT, they still work??? Wow, that's been a whole month Al... there's still hope for your completed projects.

Wyrguy Rick

GoodDays

I need a Nav light fixture like that one (I kicked mine climbing in off the trailer)

I glued mine back together but it's Fugly !
A black one would be really usefull if anyone has one gathering dust in a parts box ?

GoodDays Greg

Hydro-Therapy

PM Streamfixer he was trying give one away a couple of weeks ago.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

StreamFixer

I have a spare Stern/anchor light on the tall mount (bayonet connection) needing a new home not the red/green bow light..

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Nordski

Hi all.  I am new to this group and just bought my second Arima. This one is a new to me Sea Explorer.  It's a 1995 with aqua signal series 20 anchor light.  There was no bulb when I got it and as is well documented the original ain't available.  I researched and found an LED replacement.

Here's my problem: the polarity of the fixture is backwards as far as the new LED is concerned. However when I transpose the wires feeding the fixture I blow the fuse.

I am sweltering here at my place in the Methow I my brain

Nordski

Oops hit the wrong button.

That last sentence should finish...

Methow and my brain can't comprehend why reversing the wires blows the fuse.

Any advice would be appreciated.

fishorcrab

Offhand, I'd think you found another path from positive to negative.  Where are you swapping the wires?  In the socket fixture or in the light fixture?  Check for a path to common from the various parts of the fixture. And be happy there is a fuse present.

Good luck.
Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

Wyrguy

Quote from: Nordski on August 03, 2014, 04:07:35 PM
Hi all.  I am new to this group and just bought my second Arima. This one is a new to me Sea Explorer.  It's a 1995 with aqua signal series 20 anchor light.  There was no bulb when I got it and as is well documented the original ain't available.  I researched and found an LED replacement.

Here's my problem: the polarity of the fixture is backwards as far as the new LED is concerned. However when I transpose the wires feeding the fixture I blow the fuse.

I am sweltering here at my place in the Methow I my brain

You might wanna read thru this:

http://arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=7054

Wyrguy Rick

Nordski

Already did.  Doesn't answer my question. Thanx.