News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Re-Wire Project

Started by AlAdams, May 21, 2014, 04:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlAdams

After a few long days (?) of seriously hard work the re-wire on my boat is done, well all done except for... I never really ever complete a project.  I feel like I hit the lottery having Rick come down to my house and spend ____ days slaving away on my dysfunctional wiring set up.  The really good news is everything works just like it should.  In my little non-electrical thinking brain it is magic.  The other surprising part of this is I believe I actually learned a few things about how and why this stuff works.  Not really enough to consult with anyone about what they should though (that's my disclaimer).  I'll leave that to the truly knowledgable.  Anyway, that plus I learned that there are some really cool tools out there that I didn't know existed.  This will cost me dearly cause now I gotta have what Rick's got - well some of the stuff anyway.   

I do have some odds and ends to clean up - some shrink wrapping, some tying up of cables - trying to make everything look pretty, battery terminal covers to buy etc but that's pretty much grunt work I can do. 

Rick is a gentleman and a scholar - and I use those terms loosely!  Now every time I turn my navigation lights on and the anchor light comes on too I'll be thinking of you (I didn't know that was supposed to happen).  Al
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

'04 SR 21' w/Skip Tower  '04 Honda 130' '16 Honda 9.9

AlAdams

A few more photos.
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

GregE

Oh yeah!!  clean wiring is sexy!!!     :wink:

What a dedicated effort-  good blessings will follow you, Rick!    :applause:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Markshoreline

Al,
You're very fortunate to have such an expert bring your wiring to it's proper level!    :applause:  Jealous!   :bowdown:
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Wyrguy

Thanks Al, and you're right, there was a couple of loooooong days in there, but I had fun working with you and  you didn't give up. I'm proud of you !!! Just to make sure everyone understands... Al also did some work too, he wasn't just another pretty face schlepping parts to and from the workbench and then dropping the odd BonBon into my pie hole to keep me fueled up...

Ok, maybe he did take a nap (or two?) but WTH... Electrical learning is HARD!!! :doh:

Wyrguy Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

DSCS

I'm impressed! A beautiful job on a major project in a short time frame. Looks like everybody is still smiling. Bravo!!

Alan
We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves,
an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style
(which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).

Wyrguy

Quote from: DSCS on May 22, 2014, 09:14:25 AM
I'm impressed! A beautiful job on a major project in a short time frame. Looks like everybody is still smiling. Bravo!!

Alan

Thanks Alan...
I'm pretty sure the reason Al was still smiling in the picture (even though he'd just woken up from his 'snooze'...) was when I was packing up my tools yesterday morning, there was an 'empty' growler of Mac & Jacs up in the cuddy... Hmmmm, don't remember seeing that in there before... :doh:

Wyrguy Rickdickulous

GregE

Guessing that's the 'before' picture..   :bigshock:  It's hard to understand how such a good boat as Arima so often has such poor wiring...   :nono:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

AlAdams

Actually Rick is kidding about the growler of Mac & Jacks - but that's not a bad idea.  Where else can a guy get a little peace and quiet. 

It was a bit of a rats nest up in the cuddly.  I need to document the wiring - what's at each terminal, how it's fused, wire size etc.  Most of the wire is labeled but the ABYC instructor recommended that a chart be made clearly identifying everything.  He said he'd share his template but even after making a request I haven't seen anything.  I'll make my own. 

Wyrguy

Quote from: GregE on May 22, 2014, 10:52:36 AM
Guessing that's the 'before' picture..   :bigshock:  It's hard to understand how such a good boat as Arima so often has such poor wiring...   :nono:

I'm going to say over 95% of what we 'found' around the helm area was factory original... :-(  Besides the fact that it wasn't marine grade wire, switches or connectors that they used, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. The bilge pump wires were so severely corroded INTERNALLY , I thought we might have to pull the fuel tank to redo the whole thing. I was able to get to just enough 'clean' copper (not all black and 'furry') to butt splice on the new cable to it. Individual adhesive heat shrinks over both butt splices then another layer of larger diameter (D= r x 2) adhesive heat shrink over the complete connection point, then strap the whole splices piece so there is NO WAY any water will ever get in there.

On top of all those type of 'minor' setbacks, the Nav light switch had never been wired correctly right from the get go! And they had also taken the cuddy courtesy light and terminated it on the 'hot' side of the Nav light switch :doh:

Wyrguy Rick

DSCS

Quote from: Wyrguy on May 22, 2014, 11:24:21 AM

On top of all those type of 'minor' setbacks, the Nav light switch had never been wired correctly right from the get go! :doh:

Wyrguy Rick

An easy mistake to make. Every time I wire a Nav/Anchor light switch up I have to sit down and draw up a schematic to get it right. Still prefer the DP/DT switch to using diodes or two seperate switches. Less complicated and less parts to fail.

NOT easy to understand why the installer never tested it!   :hoboy:

Alan
We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves,
an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style
(which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).

Wyrguy

Alan, you should always use a DP/DT (double pole/double throw) switch for the Nav lights, don't rely on 'diodes'... And two separate switches? Really, guys do that? That's just 'lazy' IMHO.
I always 'proof out' the switch with my little AA battery tester light... Diagrams get spun around when you're already upside down and backwards in the cuddy. I think I actually got into some positions on Al's boat in the cuddy that would've made Nadia Comaneci  (sp?) proud !!!

Wyrguy Rick

AlAdams

So you were fixing the bilge pump wiring doing down there all that time.  I thought you were napping. 

Question for you:  When documenting this, what things are recommended to be documented?  Does the ABYC have recommendations? 

Wyrguy

I wasn't always laying there....

I did put on one of my 'Magic' connectors for your wash-down pump connection too... And even though you were probably looking at my 'better side' more than you care to admit... Hey, everything works!!!

Wyrguy Rick

Wyrguy

There isn't a regulatory requirement to document changes, additions or modifications. It's ALWAYS assumed that the electrical work is performed by competent certified marine electrical technicians and completed in a workman like manner. In other words, the work performed should 'speak' for its self. Having said that, look around at just about any used boat and check out the wiring... If it's looks like someone just 'puked it in' it's fair game to say that there was no logic or reason to how it was performed either. You shouldn't have to try and search all over the boat for ANY fuse holders. They should all be grouped together in a distribution panel. If you have to take out batteries, unbolt 'things', follow along a length of wire while laying on your belly like a reptile to try and find a fuse holder, grab hold of the guy that wired it that way and smack him upside the head with a shovel, hand it to him and tell him that's the only tool he should ever touch from that day forward. Electricity is very forgiving, in the beginning... If you touch the wires to the terminals, the light works or the pump runs... What's the problem... Well, you don't know what's lurking out there to 'bite you'....

Wyrguy Rick

AlAdams

Isn't the documentation suggestion just a reference for future additions, changes or to help identify problems?  Give me a couple of hours and what was fresh in my mind becomes clear as mud.  Some folks use CAD software to document their electrical system.  I thought I'd just put it on an Excel spreadsheet (cause I know how to do that...). 

Wyrguy

Ooooh, you only wanted to know about what we did on YOUR boat...!!!
Don't tell me that you 'misplaced' your clip board with the panel directory on it... :doh:
Ok, when do you want me to come back down?

Wyrguy Rick

AlAdams

Nah, I still have my clipboard.  You can come down anytime. 

I'm probably not asking the right question.  I was thinking of a chart that identified the electrical component (bilge pump), size of fuse, wire size, location of fuse on the panel, amp draw etc etc.  Not really sure what's important to note. 

Wyrguy

Quote from: AlAdams on May 22, 2014, 12:38:05 PM
Nah, I still have my clipboard.  You can come down anytime. 

I'm probably not asking the right question.  I was thinking of a chart that identified the electrical component (bilge pump), size of fuse, wire size, location of fuse on the panel, amp draw etc etc.  Not really sure what's important to note.

No, it's just me... A longish day on the I-5, over an hour sitting at the border, then a 2 hr wait at the ferry yesterday and a then to top it all off, a late night... then an early 'start' to the day as well.  ;-)

I see what you're after. For me though, marking the distribution panel correctly as to what each cct feeds is the biggest part of knowing. The size wire, that's not gonna change, making sure it isn't 'over fused' that's the most important factor. If your out on the water, that's all you need to know. Having an Excel spreadsheet at home (or on your phone or tablet) is one of those 'nice to do' not a need IMHO. Having only two places with fuse locations (stern & helm) other than the only single glass fuse left on your boat and located in the waterproof fuse holder for the ACR negative conductor right at the ACR makes for far easier troubleshooting. But also don't forget, it's all shiny and new, wire sizes increased appropriately and then fused correctly... You shouldn't have any fuses to replace !!! (But carry spares anyways) now, get out there with that label maker... I hope that helps...

Wyrguy Rick

Danno

Quote from: Wyrguy on May 22, 2014, 10:48:27 AM
Quote from: DSCS on May 22, 2014, 09:14:25 AM

Alan

Thanks Alan...
I'm pretty sure the reason Al was still smiling in the picture (even though he'd just woken up from his 'snooze'...) was when I was packing up my tools yesterday morning, there was an 'empty' growler of Mac & Jacs up in the cuddy... Hmmmm, don't remember seeing that in there before... :doh:

Wyrguy Rickdickulous

Where's the picture of the Mac & Jacks?   :doh:
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

SRanger

Not sure if Al allows smokin and drinkin in his shop.   Beer photo at Milton Tavern here...http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=6705.50;topicseen
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

AlAdams

Drinkin' - I almost consider it mandatory unless working around dangerous substances or objects (in my case that can be a screwdriver...).  Smoking - not such a big fan of that anymore but I've got large garage doors with flo-through ventilation so if someone must, I understand. 

Wyrguy

Quote from: SRanger on May 23, 2014, 10:31:00 AM
Not sure if Al allows smokin and drinkin in his shop.

Todd, Yup, he allows drinkin in his shop (except for the Wyrguy?) Wait, actually that was my choice... Didn't want to 'fuzz' my head while wiring... :doh: I thinking that it must almost be mandatory as I do know that when his neighbours come over to visit and/or check out the 'Canadian', they go to the fridge, then say 'Hi' to whomever is there. :shrug9:

Wyrguy Rickdickulous

SRanger

Rick,  at least the man has a shop.  You would have to lay on the concrete and work outside if you did my boat.  So just for future reference....how do you find the fridge?  It should have a pathway clearly marked with red and yellow safety tape on the floor.  Anything inside the taped area is suppose to be safe zone.  That was the rule way back when I worked in the truck shop.

SR
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

AlAdams

I tried to set it up like a kitchen - you know, like applying Kaizen principles. So the boat, fridge, urinal and tv are all within steps of each other. No wasted movements.