Author Topic: Tides  (Read 3479 times)

Offline Croaker Stroker

Tides
« on: June 01, 2011, 05:10:46 PM »
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline La-Z-Buoy

Re: Tides
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 05:26:19 PM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause:

Thank you, I just put that on my favorites. Will be in Reedsport in a couple of weeks and will use it. :gone_fishing:

Richard
Richard

1991 19' Sea Ranger HT
DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 09:32:40 PM »
There are also several tide apps for your smart phone.  It is really handy to have one for planning and on the boat, esp. because they are much more specific to your location than any tide chart can be.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

So.Cali

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 07:38:53 AM »
Mark, that's tooo cool! I'll be a regular to that site.  :smile1:

Offline redbaronace

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 12:08:39 PM »
There are also several tide apps for your smart phone.  It is really handy to have one for planning and on the boat, esp. because they are much more specific to your location than any tide chart can be.

Went to the link and checked for Edmonds. 
They listed the high and low tides as well as a time for peak fishing during the day.

Can anybody vouch as to whether the times in these charts is accurate from your experience?  If this is truly a good indicator of good times to fish, I will modify my departures to correspond more closely to the tides.

Also, how do I use this information to determine when the slack tides occur?

Hopefully answers to my naive questions may help others as well.
Thanks,

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 01:57:23 PM »
Slack tide is when the tide is not moving.  In other words, when it stops and changes direction. That would be at either extreme high or low.

Those tide tables are predictions. Just like weather predictions, they can have a degree of error.  :shrug9:

"Tide Graph HD" is a good App for the IPad or IPhone.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 02:01:56 PM by Croaker Stroker »

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

• Fisherman
  • 17 SC Sold Currently Arimaless
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 12:59:21 PM »
Croaker....thanks for the link.
My middle name is "ying yang"....at "slack" bottom or "slack" top of the tide....although more difficult to fish when on the hook....expect the unexpected. Ying Yangin around, we often catch our best fish. Plus, using drift socks or sea anchors off the stern make it easier as the flows slow. j doo w
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Offline DSCS

Tide Apps
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
I like AyeTides, but it is only for IPhone/Pod/Pad. The data is all self contained so you don't need an internet connection. You can choose to see the data in tabular or graph form.

AyeTides has both tide and current tables.

Check it out
http://www.ayetides.com/

Slack is not necessarily or even usually at High or Low tide.  I C and Pd  this explanation from AyeTides web site:

"A reoccurring question is the difference between tide stations and current (tidal stream) stations. AyeTides does display data from current stations, but the two station types are distinct. Tide stations do not show currents, and current stations do not show tides.

Think of the difference this way. Tide stations measure the depth of the water at a location, irrespective of how fast the water is moving past that point. All the tide station cares about is the depth. A current station, on the other hand, is only concerned with the speed and direction of the movement of the water. Measurements can be taken at different depths, but for our purposes the one closest to the surface is the one we are using.

You can have a tide station measuring a large change in the depth of the water, even while a current station next door measures no current at all. Alternatively, a tide station can have no change in depth while the nearby current is running hard. It all depends on where the water is coming from and where it’s going to.

In AyeTides current stations are shown in the lists in italics, and you can use the Alphabetical list to search on just the word “Current” to see them all.

And at all times remember, the two station types are separate and distinct.
"

The time difference is often small in the 10-15 minute range. I would imagine that at the mouth of the Columbia during the winter with a lot of river flow there would be a rather large time difference.
We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves,
an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style
(which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 11:59:09 PM »
Croaker....thanks for the link.
My middle name is "ying yang"....at "slack" bottom or "slack" top of the tide....although more difficult to fish when on the hook....expect the unexpected. Ying Yangin around, we often catch our best fish. Plus, using drift socks or sea anchors off the stern make it easier as the flows slow. j doo w

Liver,

Sea anchor...good idea.  I used to have one. Now I just drift up (Ying)...and then...drift back...(Yang)  I have not yet determined if we catch more fish on the Ying or on the Yang.   :shrug9:  I agree that Yinging and Yanging is much better than just sitting there twiddling your thumbs. My Gps track from last week looked something like your signature when you signed for your belongings.  (sorry you didn't get your shoes back)