Author Topic: New folding radar arches/rocket launchers...  (Read 6944 times)

Offline Threeweight

New folding radar arches/rocket launchers...
« on: June 01, 2011, 10:35:35 AM »
Just saw this over on Ifish... not my boat, but I have admired the fabricator's work at various shows I have seen him at.  At 60 pounds this is a nice option on a 17.

Link to the thread here:

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?p=3691604#post3691604
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:00:33 PM by Danno »
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline mypursuit

Re: New folding radar arches/rocket launchers...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 12:35:22 PM »
That's my boat and arch. Next is to mount the radar, GPS antenna, allaround/anchor light and a rear facing deck light. Maybe outriggers next year  :biggrin:. Robin does great work. It was his idea to mount them so that they did not take all of the walkaround space out. (I have saddle tanks so this was also easier)

You may notice the seats are also modified, $99.00 tractor spring fired tractor seats that do a great job at knocking down the "arima" ride.

Seattleflyfisher

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 12:45:13 PM »
Great idea! Very nice......

Can you get them to add a advertisement in our commercial area?

Offline Danno

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 12:58:45 PM »
Hey Jim, thanks for posting over here. Can I post pictures from Robin's post on ifish or should we get his permission?

Hmm. Interesting. I couldn't see the photo in Google Chrome but I can in IE.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:03:51 PM by Danno »
Previously owned a 1998 19' SR

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Offline Secret Spot

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 01:10:20 PM »
I wasn't able to see any pricing???  Might be my old eyes...

Larry - Secret Spot

Offline Vancouvertechie

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 01:14:20 PM »
Holy smokes... I see one in my future!  Any ideas on the price range?  That is usually a bad sign when the prices are not listed.

VT
Boats owned:

2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)

Seattleflyfisher

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 01:19:52 PM »
I singed up on that user group and now I can not see the picture with the folding rocket launcher :shrug9: I guess I have to be activated by the admin.

I really like the idea, but it would not be able to fold down if you mounted a radar to it due to the cable. I know the cable in my top is tight. Maybe the cable is real loose and you could feed it more length when you folded it down?  Still very nice idea and I would think the cost would be under a grand?

Offline Vancouvertechie

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 01:28:44 PM »
I singed up on that user group and now I can not see the picture with the folding rocket launcher :shrug9: I guess I have to be activated by the admin.

I really like the idea, but it would not be able to fold down if you mounted a radar to it due to the cable. I know the cable in my top is tight. Maybe the cable is real loose and you could feed it more length when you folded it down?  Still very nice idea and I would think the cost would be under a grand?

If you route the cable through the mount towards the stern there really is no difference in cable length at the pivot point.  Since the forward mounts raise up the rear are stationary.  As long as you run the cable through them, I would not see the need for that much slack if any at all.
Boats owned:

2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)

Seattleflyfisher

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 01:37:19 PM »
Good eye :bowdown:

When I was looking for something on my boat I could not understand why somebody local was not going after this kind of business. The Arima's are a good target for something like this.

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 02:30:54 PM »
MyPursuit is one of the guys who inspired me to buy an Arima.  Reading about him fishing off the Oregon coast, including TUNA! on good days, from his 17' made me a believer in these boats.  :bowdown:

MyPursuit, any chance we could get you to post some photos on those shock absorbing seats, and how you modified them?
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Secret Spot

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 03:12:21 PM »
Anyone know the price for the Arch? 

I had a swing down radar arch on my Blackman and I fished the rigging down through on of the hinged legs.  It required very little slack.  I just put a drip loop in the rigging cable where it came out of tubing leg prior to going through the cuddy and into the helm area. 

Larry - Secret Spot

Offline mypursuit

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 04:33:02 PM »
OK, ok, ok...the price of these arches vary. I had a cadillac version built because I'm that way about my boat and safety gear.  The cost of the arch is dependent upon bends, number of rod holders, radar/antenna/light platforms, powdercoating etc. Mine came in over $2,500.00 the cost of the radar etc is above that. You can spend less by foregoing powdercoating, and less gadgets on the tower. There are others that may build them cheaper, but I have looked at Robin's work for several years and I don't think you will find anyone building them better.

I debated this for 3 years and almost sold my boat to go bigger. I realized how much I love my boat and justified the purchase as it was 10% of what I was thinking about spending for a used Grady. The wiring is to be routed through the stern legs and thus the cable will have slack and movement to drop the tower. Anyone interested should talk to Robin, "metalmanipulator" on the ifish board.

My tractor seats were ordered straight from Tractor supply. They are mounted on the original seat mounts. They place me above the windshield so on crappy days I'm looking through the plastic windshield. I'm ok with being above the windshield because I was always looking over or under the windshield frame and it bugged me. They do not ride as well as hydraulic seats but they are much cheaper and everyone that has ridden with me says they make a world of difference on their kidneys. I also mounted stainless steel/mahogony insert footrests on the boxes as the seats' height leave anyone under 6'1" with their feet dangling. (This photo shows the seats.

Seattleflyfisher

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 06:53:17 PM »
Thats about the same price as my top. Not sure why I thought it would be around a grand :doh:

Offline Grizzle

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
That tower looks very cool Jim, that is something to be proud of.  I'm sure you grin every time you see it.

Part of the cost driver is how much material costs of have gone up.  Since he powder coated it I assume Jim's tower is aluminum, the plate aluminum he has on the top is wicked expensive, maybe a few hundred bucks depending on thickness.  I considered having my tower built with aluminum but they recommended to use 1 5/8 and that stuff is way more money then the smaller sizes, and more then stainless steel.  The launchers, radar mount, powder coating, and hinged vertical mounts are fancy, and expensive.  I think powder coated aluminum looks the nicest!

Having just gone through this, I think the least expensive you could have a tower built (by a professional welder you hired) and installed would be a fixed tower, deck mounted, "non chromed" stainless steel, minimal plating on the top, with launchers would be $850.  A basic Radar mount and lights could be done for as little as $100 to as much as you want to spend.  Adding folding capability ups the jacks considerably but I debated and opted out of a design which would have been about $300 more.   So factoring all the "budget" minded choices you could make, I think the cheapest you could possibly build a folding tower you'd be proud of that had all these features is $1250. 

Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)

Offline Grizzle

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 12:26:52 PM »
One Tip:  If you opt for powder coated aluminum, you might consider fishing several times with the tower on before you coat it.   

I've had my tower back 2 times for little "add ons" that I came up with after the fact, and I have a few more (an instrument post over the bimini to mount an HDS 5, a hook for a fish scale, a running light (both ideas thanks to Russ), a crab pot bouy retainer).  Lucky my tower is stainless so I can keep tweaking it.
Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)

Seattleflyfisher

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 01:13:41 PM »
Mr Grizzle is right about waiting before you add paint. Not that I painted my top but I added the radar, light mount and rocket launcher AFTER the top was mounted. I wasted around $500 because I did not have it all together when the top was mounted. It is an energy rush to see the boat come home with the new top or rocket launcher. Can you believe the cost of everything today!!!!!!!!

My girlfriend on a couple of occations has rasied the thought of how much have you spent :arms:   It takes me about a 1/2 second to say YOU never, never add up a boat project :hoboy:

I wish we could get these company's to post an ad in our commercial area.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 01:27:05 PM by Seattleflyfisher »

Offline Bryan S.

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 09:21:38 PM »
Man that boat looks so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna steal your idea bout the tractor seats.
1989 Sea Chaser 17'
2011 Honda 90
2005 Merc 9.9