News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Batteries are moved forward, but what gauge cable?

Started by HemiGTX, April 30, 2014, 09:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

I'm just saying, if you have an E-tec, you should be aware that you need all the cranking Amps that you can get.  I assume you will loose a bit with a long run up to the bow.  :shrug9:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

HemiGTX

Wyrguy,  here's where I am with this project:
A remote T8 kicker is wired to a blue sea dual powerpost connector.  Then I'm running 2AWG cable to the house battery (roughly 20' of cable).  I'll be wiring downriggers and a wash down pump into this circuit as well.

The main engine will be wired the same exact way but will use 2/0 AWG and will run to the starting battery.  I also have a mini "add a battery kit that I am going to install to allow the house battery to be charged by the main engine. 

I have mounted two new sealed AGM batteries forward.

It sounds like the 2AWG cable will be adequate for the kicker.  The blue sea calculator indicates that 2/0 SHOULD be adequate for a 115 yamaha based on the "one amp per cubic inch displacement" rule of thumb, but that may or may not be accurate?

You surely noticed that I didn't mention any fuses.  Any advice will be implemented.  I'm not 'half-assing' anything, at least not intentionally.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

HemiGTX

To clarify, I'm running separate circuits for each engine.  I like redundancy.
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Threeweight

Quite a few folks have done this on 17's.  I'd do a search of their posts, then PM a couple and ask their experiences.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson