News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Mop-N-Glo

Started by croaker stroker, January 23, 2011, 08:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

Back by popular demand !!!

"I came up with a "brilliant" idea. (pardon the pun)  -- "Mop-N-Glo"  I know. I know. It's for floors. But I decided to try it on my old oxidized gel coat. It is Sooo easy.  Just dampen a towel with the wax and wipe it around...that's it. My boat shines like a new penny.

Gel coated floors are nice, but once they are oxidized, they stain very easily.  Blood, Squid Squirt, etc.  So I also wiped down my floor.  It takes several coats but yesterday, the fish blood just rinsed right off.

If you have an older boat, try it... It's cheap and easy....By the way my floor is not slipery."

:applause:      :whistle:      :hoboy:      :doh:      :facepalm:      :shrug9:      :beerchug:      :anyone:  :anyone:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

Croaker

How about settling on one avatar.  You keep changing making previous jabs irrelevant.  It's confusing.    :bigshock:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

croaker stroker

Now that is confusing.  I had completely forgotton about those jabs.  :shrug9:

wait...i think i just found more pictures of bigger fish.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

woody

This is from Book 3  Refinishing (Fiberglassic) by Jamil Mehdi. (Search Fibergassic, then go to Jamil Mehdi's Book Part 3 - Refinishing).

" ..... Shiny is often the result of adding a glossy coating to the surface that fills in the imperfections and simulates polish.  But a few weeks ... will evaporate.       .....   what'sa even worse .... these products increase the rate of UV absorption ... accelerating rate of gelcoat deterioration"

"Never use a solvent to shine up your boat.  Penetrol, WD-40 or other similar products are solvenys.  They are designed to emulsify solids. The reason they look good is because they are oils.  You can get the same results by going to the kitchen and poiring a bottle of Wesson oil on your boat.   .....   when they evapotate  they will take emulsified particles with them. The result will be a surface in far worse condition then before.  .... Solvents actually increase the level of UV absorption and the rate of oxidation by leeching out residual waxes and sealants from the porous gelcoat as they evaporate.

Of course where you live there's not much UV light is there?

Woody

croaker stroker

No solvents or oils in Mop-N-Glo....just wax (polymers).

No, not much UV here. Most of it is absorbed by all the Orange County babes out tanning their half naked bodies.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

woody

Croaker

I've a list of the ingredients of Mop and Glo and can not pronounce any of them with the exception of water.  Could not even chase them down on the web.

However a call to Reckitt Benckiser supported your claim.  Lots of stuff including fragrance and waxes but NO solvents, oils or emulsifiers.

Woody

SRanger

Am going to give the mop-n-glo a test one of these days soon.  Looks to me as if my boat hull may have a yellowish base color to it...with the topside a lighter almost white color.  Might need a paint job with a two-part polyurethane marine paint like Interlux Perfection.  Any comments on this would be appreciated.  A lot of prep work would be required for painting.  But it would be so sweet if some floor care product could rejuvenate her again!!
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

croaker stroker

I would never buy a fiberglass boat with a painted hull. (there is usually hidden damage underneith)

Better to remove the oxidation with abrasives and polish. Around here, they charge around $150 to do that. Check with your local boat dealer.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Danno

Somewhere in the Arima notes I am compiling, it was noted that the liner color is just a tad darker that the top piece.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

woody

SRanger

Go to FiberGlassics and they have a section Book Part 3 - Refinishing by Jamil Mehdi. 

This is about the care and feeding of fibergass boats.  Restore or Refinish? Polishing Gelcoats, Wet Sanding, Compounding, big and small fiberglass and gel coat repair, and to address your inquiry Gel Coat vs. Paint.  You can oprint it (around 20 pages of great info/guidence and file for reference or just scan it.

Recommend highly.

Woody

croaker stroker

You can see the two colors in this photo of my boat before I replaced the panels....

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

SRanger

Thanks for the link Woody.  Jamil is local...even better.  Every time I post seems I end up with 3 more to-do's.  Still fighting to get the pdf downloaded and read it over closer.   The online font was horrible to read...maybe a computer issue.  But I like this guy already:

QuoteMaybe your boat, like most, is showing its age with fine patina of scars, nicks, and gouges. Regardless, repairing the finish you have will always be easier than refinishing.

Repairing gel coat is as easy as filling a hole, sanding it flush, and polishing it. The hard part about repairing gelcoat is color matching.  Men are seven time more likely to be color blind than women. Men are also seven times more likely to own a boat than women.  This can be interpreted two ways: First, you've got a pretty good shot that no one's going to notice you screwed up on the color matching. Second, you're pretty damned likely to screw up on the color matching.

BTW Woody....you have a "Keith"  too;)

Croaker...the floor in your boat looks cleaner than an operating room.  Great job posting photos.  You and Fishing Eagle make me jealous.

Just to be clear my issue is the outside not the inside.  I can not find any cracking or blistering.  Something tells me when the boat was manufactured or "layed up" the original color may have been darker than they use today.  My photos are tough to see but this is the best example I have.  Did your floor look anything like this photo before you started  Croaker?   Hope this photo post okay....Thxs again for the info guys!

99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

croaker stroker

That hull would shine like a new penny with a little wet sanding, some polishing with a 7" makita angle grinder, wool bonnet, fiberglass rubbing compound..... a good coat of wax.

Do what Woody says. It just takes a little elbow grease.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸