News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

19 and 21 owners- where is your full size fuel filter?

Started by Markshoreline, April 02, 2014, 05:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markshoreline

I have the racor r12 which is a smaller filter and it fits nicely here..

Also. A pair of plairs is a convenient to to open sticky deck plates.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

StreamFixer

Mark

You definitely need more fish scales, blood and dirt on that deck plate's threads....

My full fuel filter is just in front of the master on off switch between the fuel tank and wall, starboard side (behind the starboard. panel in front of the fuel tank).

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Lingripper

Mark I just mounted my fuel filter in the same place did you really need an access plate or is it behind something on the port panel. I like it a lot and considered it I can reach it ok.
Greg
1990 Ranger 19 Ht
2009 140 Suzuki
2008 Yamaha 8 HT

Markshoreline

The plate made it easy to reach without removing the panel which requires tools

Lingripper

I see its behind the side panel not the removable one got it, looks good.
1990 Ranger 19 Ht
2009 140 Suzuki
2008 Yamaha 8 HT

2Steelhead

Mark-

Easy to get to in there...

Josh
2002 19' Sea Ranger Hardtop
Yamaha F115TLRA
Yamaha 9.9

Diablo

Mine is in the same place only it look like Arima modified the motor well to allow more room on later models. :arms: it is a much tighter fit on mine.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

I just mounted a new one to the angled small width panel on the inside next to the fuel tank. Easy peasey to change out by my removing the larger panel in front of fuel tank. Also moving the fuel squeeze bulb from the interior above the fuel tank to the exterior exposed top of the wet/splash well.

I will then add a 4" Deck Plate on the panel in front of the battery compartment for easy access to Perko Battery Switch.
J W
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

finfinn

Mine was in the same place as 2Steelhead and Diablo. Real handy and protected. Both main and kicker lines came off the same filter - not optimal but workable.
Had a glorious SR19 Finnesse.
You can not change the length of your life, but boating does increase its width and depth.

AP

Mine is in the same spot as 2Steelhead, Diabol, and finfinn.

-AP

Hydro-Therapy

Had to move mine over to the starboard sponson. Moved for 2 reasons 1) when using the Racor filters with plastic bottom ,there is not enough clearance to get them on and off 2) wanted it as far from the batteries as possible.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

FishAddict

Mine is in the same spot as 2Steelhead's.  It's a bit of a pain to change out.  I would like to find a spot to accommodate the longer Yamaha or racor filter just haven't decided.  Currently using the Mercury 10 micron filters with good success so far.
21ft Sea Ranger w/Yamaha F150

Markshoreline

I'm thinking Port side, away from the batteries/electronics.  I still like the spot on my boat, I just open that deck plate and there it is!  No screws, no jam up with hoses or wiring, no fuel spills on the electronics.
Anyone think otherwise???

ishan

another ditto for 2steelhead filter placement.....

what i'm curious about... is that i have not seemed to be able to use that filter for the main and kicker...
seems that when i hook up the kicker the main sucks fuel too hard and the kicker is wanting more gas....

any one else have this issue?

"red fish blue fish"
'06 19' SR
honda 135 & yammy f8

Markshoreline

Make sure your kicker line doesn't have a kink, the bulb is perfect and the line is as large as the big motor.  Do you have your kicker line on an outlet rather than an inlet?????  Does your fuel fitting on the kicker for sure work?
Let us know what your situation is, and good luck!

ishan

thanks for the pointers/questions mark....
i tried everything last year to get fuel to the kicker with the water seperator... with no luck.
so at this point i just bring a separate 3 gal fuel tank for the kicker that sits under the stern bunk seat...

but then again my ez steer was a humbugger last year so i almost never trolled on my kicker.
i'm hoping to rig the stainless steel tube extention on the panther linkage for this season...
too much gas $ trolling on the main!
i'd hope the little 8 horse would be fine with 3 gallons for as day?
"red fish blue fish"
'06 19' SR
honda 135 & yammy f8

Threeweight

Ishan, you need anti-siphon valves on the filter head. 

These are basically barbed fuel fittings that screw into the filter head with a one-way valve in them that only lets fuel flow in one direction (to the motor it feeds).  It prevents the fuel pump from one motor starving the other motor.

http://www.iboats.com/ANTI-SYPHON-VALVE-1-4NPTX3-8-Seachoice/dm/view_id.927961?cm_mmc=Google_Main-_-Mall+Product+Listings%3AGoogle-_-+%3AMall+Product+Listings%3AGoogle-_-Seachoice&kw={keyword}&gclid=CK66v5je6L0CFcqUfgodrg0A7Q

Mark, since you are starting fresh with your new motors I would invest in a full-size Racor unit, or a stainless Moeller/Sierra/Tempo/etc... filter head + Racor filters.  I would think it would be easier and less messy to drain and swap filters by accessing them through that rear port panel than a small access plate.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Markshoreline

I bought 3 anti-siphon (also called check valves) at West Marine today for $20 each.  I'll mount them at each fuel tank fitting since that worked well for me on the 19.

Steve, I ordered the stainless steel filter head with the full size filters.  Would you mount it in the corner by the battery???

ishan

cool 3weight!

now why didnt my marine mechanic tell me about this!?!?! :jester:
"red fish blue fish"
'06 19' SR
honda 135 & yammy f8

Threeweight

Are both your batteries in one side of the boat, Mark?

I'd probably do batteries on the starboard side, fuel filter and washdown pump on the port side.  That way if either springs a leak you keep fuel and saltwater off the electrical stuff.

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Markshoreline

Where on the port side?  The fuel filler is in the port front corner.

Threeweight

Hey Mark,

I couldn't find a good photo of that port compartment on the Arima site, so I snagged one of VXHatch's photo from his project 19 (hope he doesn't mind!)  Here are my ideas:

My preference would be the area I have circled.  If needed maybe add a piece of Starboard behind the filter bracket to reinforce it, and back it off a bit from the side of the fuel tank.

My second choice would be against the back wall or side wall of the compartment.  Not ideal, given the potential weakness of the glass.

Anyway, some thoughts.  I haven't gotten to play around in the 19 and 21's much.

--- Hunter S. Thompson