News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Snap fasteners on a skip tower question

Started by AlAdams, April 02, 2014, 04:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlAdams

I've got several snap fasteners on my skip tower that have fallen off over the years.  I thought I'd replace them so I bought a kit and have been trying to rivet the snaps onto the skip tower.  Seems the rivets with the 1/4" heads are too short - the rivets with the 1/2" heads are too long.  Any ideas on what works?  Do they make 3/8" headed rivets?  If those are correct, where do I find them?  This is a job that should be simple yet, it isn't.  Has anybody done this job successfully? 
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

'04 SR 21' w/Skip Tower  '04 Honda 130' '16 Honda 9.9

Salmon King

Yes you can get an intermediate sized rivet but you'll most likely have to special order them.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

CanvasGuy

Al,
have you actually tried to rivet the 1/2 " ones..
even if it looks too large it may work as it smashed down..
just a thought.. :shrug9:
Gary Smart
boatless  now
http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

AlAdams

I did try them. Thought they would work after the 1/4" headed rivets didn't.  Maybe I'll ask Belinda what they use. I'll also go on-line to see what sizes are made. Maybe check with Tacoma Screw too.
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

'04 SR 21' w/Skip Tower  '04 Honda 130' '16 Honda 9.9

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Al......I fasten snaps on fiberglass skip towers with small SS screws. works fine! J Doo Dad
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Salmon King

Quote from: LvrWurst 21 SR Skip on April 03, 2014, 10:54:37 AM
Al......I fasten snaps on fiberglass skip towers with small SS screws. works fine! J Doo Dad

Self-tapping SS screws will work too if you need to mount to the aluminum/Stainless framework....
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)