News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Yamaha T8 Charging question...

Started by yellowlab, March 17, 2014, 11:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowlab

Can someone who has this kicker comment on whether there anything that needs to be connected from the T8 to charge the battery?
21' Sea Ranger Skip Tower, 150 VTEC FI Honda, Salt Boss with Yamaha T8 on 703 controller, hot box plumbed and Marine Tech P2. Solas 4-blade 14.75x15 aluminum prop.

My First Arima was a 17' Sea Chaser Skip Tower with Honda 90 and 8  kicker

Markshoreline

Assuming it has an alternator, there should be two large cables that go to the positive and negative terminals of the battery.  Did I understand your question correctly?
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

yellowlab

I think I was over analyzing this after seeing all the plug ins from the 703 controller. I assumed it was just the main leads from the kicker.  Second question is: 'should the Perko switch selected for both batteries to keep them charged when trolling as the starboard side runs my sounder and electronics?' I may have already answered the question but just want to be sure. Thanks, Mark.
21' Sea Ranger Skip Tower, 150 VTEC FI Honda, Salt Boss with Yamaha T8 on 703 controller, hot box plumbed and Marine Tech P2. Solas 4-blade 14.75x15 aluminum prop.

Wyrguy

For your second question, IMHO... NO!!! If you do that you'll almost guarantee that you'll end up barely charging any batteries while trolling and killing them both. If you still want to 'rely' on the 'OldSkool' Perko 1,2,1+2,off type of switch, you have to be able to understand exactly what the consequences are of each of those switch positions. Those switches were made for waaaaay before anyone had much electronics, D/R's, etc and don't take into consideration the consumption rate vs meager recharge rate while trolling. IF I had that type of switch, I'd have my main motor connected to #1 position, my electronics and kicker connected to #2... Then you've now created a potentially unsafe condition by not being able to start your main without stopping the kicker first... Not what I'd want to be doing in an ugly rainy windy condition and needing to get going in a hurray. The two pole/single throw (plus Emerg combine) function switch BlueSea 5511E solves all that and removes any of the guess work involved.

Rick

No, I don't have shares in BlueSea Systems... But I really wish I did! When a product is as well designed and functions properly like their line, that's what I'll use. BEP also makes something similar in function, but is of an Australian/European construction and I don't think its as rugged IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

Threeweight

I agree with Rick.

I would look into a Blue Sea switch + auto charging relay.  Switch will have On/off/combined settings.  "On" will allow power to flow from the cranking battery to the main motor, and from the house battery to the electronics, but will isolate those two circuits.  The ACR will allow the alternator from the main motor to send some charge to the house battery while the main is running, to maintain both batteries.  Combined is only used in emergencies.

I don't have electric start/power trim on my kicker, but if I were wiring it I would want to run the kicker off the house circuit, and use it to provide some small charge to the house battery. 
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

finfinn

:yeahthat:. I had my T8 connected like Rick suggested (2 batteries, Perko switch, T8 feeding house/electronics one). My next upgrade was going to be setting up the BlueSea system so I would not have to remember to turn engines on and off and set the switch right each time. Do it - it will save you headaches.
Had a glorious SR19 Finnesse.
You can not change the length of your life, but boating does increase its width and depth.

yellowlab

Wow, never knew such a product existed. Next year will be the project of re-wiring everything cleanly, including relocating the batteries to the storage boxes. I've spent too much money on the boat so far and need to get her out and put some time on the water!

Threeweight

Here's the Blue Sea switch/ACR kit (they call it their "add a battery" kit):

http://www.hodgesmarine.com/BLUE-SEA-7650-SOLENOID-BATTERY-DUAL-CIRCUIT-SYSTEM-p/blu7650.htm?click=7482

They make a compact version for outboards with alternators that put out 65 amps or less... probably sufficient for most Arima applications.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Lingripper

Ok Rick now that you have just about cost me my marrage because of all you great imputes on sparky stuff. I spent the extra money for the ACR so that may be the last straw with the boss but the question is should I run the hot side of the T8 kicker to the house and the #2 of my switch?
Thanks
Greg
1990 Ranger 19 Ht
2009 140 Suzuki
2008 Yamaha 8 HT

wedocq

Quote from: Threeweight on March 18, 2014, 03:35:27 PM
Here's the Blue Sea switch/ACR kit (they call it their "add a battery" kit):

http://www.hodgesmarine.com/BLUE-SEA-7650-SOLENOID-BATTERY-DUAL-CIRCUIT-SYSTEM-p/blu7650.htm?click=7482

They make a compact version for outboards with alternators that put out 65 amps or less... probably sufficient for most Arima applications.

I bought that at the boat show. After my new brakes, transducer, injectors, fuel system, and bait table projects, that's next on the to do list.  :doh:
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.