News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Installing a wash-down system

Started by fishing eagle, January 23, 2011, 04:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishing eagle

I do not have a factory installed wash-down system on my Sea Ranger and I do want to add one this spring. I do not want to penetrate the transom with a through-the-hull fitting. I am thinking to just run a intake line over the transom and have the intake below the water line. I then will maybe run the hose through the port in the motorwell to a pump mounted under the port baitwell. Then maybe have the pump feed a 25' coiled hose that will plug into a quick disconnect fitting at the transom. I am currently thinking to purchase and use a Jabsco Par-Max pump and kit as it is economy priced.

I know that a few others may have done a similar installation on their Arima. I am wondering if anyone who has played with addding their own wash-down pump can chime in here and maybe share some dos and don'ts. What size intake line, any fitting at the end of the intake line? What else do I need to think of?
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

StreamFixer

My 17SC has a post factory washdown system with a coil hose that can be attached to the outlet through an interior panel..  The inlet port is identical to the baitwell intake on the other side (Port) of the transom plug.

The intake line was 3/4 inch red hose (looked like auto heater hose) routed from the intake up to the pump mounted on the interior of the transom.  It never pumpWhen I removed the ropes being used to hold down the fuel tank (probably put in when the wash down was installed) and pulled the fuel tank.  As the fellow in Sea Hunt used to so dramatically say "And then I saw it."  The tank was laying on the intake hose where it ran across the fuel tank platform.  Flatter than a fritter.  I posted this on the YUKU site last summer.  Might still be there??

Arima recommended I grind out the deck under the tank as necessary to route a clear ribbed 3/4 inch intake hose past the tank  (about 2 inches long and maybe an inch wide).

Wallah, I now have a working deck washdown pump.   :party:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Danno

My project 17' had a bait tank pump that was run through the bottom of the hull. Not next to the drain plug like SF's. I just don't like having a hole in the bottom where you can get to it to close the ball cock or shove a plug in it. Thus, I had Don at Arima glass it over when he fixed the bottom of the hull. It's one thing to spring a leak in a river and be able to beach it and another being out in the ocean.

I would have been more inclined to leave it alone if it was pointed out the back, next to the drain plug where you can't run over something and knock it loose.

I found these instructions from Arima for the baitwell. They might be of some help. Below them are some links worth checking out.

Below are some links to two wash down pump installs and two bait tank installs that you can look through.

http://weloveourarimas.multiply.com/photos/album/69/Tuna_Can

http://weloveourarimas.multiply.com/photos/album/52/added_raw_water_pump_and_moved

http://weloveourarimas.multiply.com/photos/album/32/Washdown_pump_for_raw_and_fresh

http://weloveourarimas.multiply.com/photos/album/20/Live_bait_tank_system
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Threeweight

Were I installing one, I'd run the intake hose through the motorwell then over the transom like this.  May not be pretty, but safe.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

fishing eagle

3weight I am thinking of doing something as you pictured. What is that fitting at the end of the intake hose?
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

Threeweight

I am not familiar with that boat (I snagged the photo off the old Multiply site).  It looks like some kind of strainer on the end, with a hose bracket in it... I think the bracket is overkill.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

StreamFixer

If you are going to hang an intake over the side, why not make the whole thing portable.  Rig up a 12v plug.  When you need to wash down, hang the intake over the side, plug in the pump and have at it.  When done, put it back in its bag and stow it????  You may have noticed, I am a firm believer in the KISS method.

StreamFixer.
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

fishing eagle

I like the KISS method myself. I will make the washdown system a bit more than portable so it will be ready when needed, turn on the power switch, grab the hose, and wash the deck. Yet I will probably just have the hose hanging on the transom... no need for a fitting as I will use a filter/strainer before the pump intake. Filter comes with most kits.

Hey I am hoping to use the wash down a real lot this fishing season. There is no more good days of work in my future... just many days of fishing, and it don't matter if they are bad or good. But on good days, we will need to wash things down.

SRanger

This makes sense for FE if he is in fresh water?  Otherwise,  do folks use raw (salt) water to wash everything down into the bilge?  Stinks like a dump the next day.  I usually stop by the lake (after being in the salt) on the way home and back the whole rig down in, start the motors and run for a couple mins.

If I had a raw water system that would be the time to use it IMHO.  A compromise of a fixed mounted pump...with a removable intake makes sense.  Thru the motor well...just plug in the intake when you need it.  Store it when not in use.  That way you still have a working motor well drain as designed.

When I first got my boat I dragged it over to Kent and met Don.  Asked about the water tank and pump in the cuddy with the line back to the bait well.  He said that system was designed to rinse your reels after salt water use.  Makes as much sense as anything else. 10 gals is not enough to wash the boat and not sure I would want to drink out of that tank without removing it and cleaning.  The idea of 10 gals of fresh water does make sense for camping however.  Or use that space for more storing more booze and steaks.  Love all the under cushion storage in the cuddy!!

99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

GoodDays

Fishing Eagle, They are all Good Days !!!!!! :party:  There was a post on the other site where someone built a portable washdown system with the pump mounted on a plastic cutting board..

GoodDays Greg

fishing eagle

SRanger you are correct that I do most all my fishing in fresh water so the wash down system works well for keeping Salmon blood out of my boat. It will be much easier that using a jug to scoop water from the lake.

I have put the wash down systemon my Arima to do list for 2011. I should be an easy project to install it permantly. I did also find the washdown on the other site and I will probably copy most of that. It is simple enough and works.

I will post photos when done sometime this spring.