Author Topic: New LED's deck lighting.  (Read 1376 times)

Offline wedocq

New LED's deck lighting.
« on: February 22, 2014, 05:55:49 PM »
I originally had 55 watt halogen deck lights that really sucked power. I upgraded them to 18 watt LED's. 1 amp draw. For anyone interested, the price of LED's have come way down if you do not buy them in a retail store. I paid $40 on Ebay for these with $4.95 for 2 day shipping. The case is aluminum, glass lens, and stainless hardware.
-Shawn

2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki DF175 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Offline Wyrguy

• Fisherman
  • Intellectuals solve problems,geniuses prevent them
  • View Gallery
Re: New LED's deck lighting.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 06:10:01 PM »
Wow Shawn, those do look good!  :applause:

Who'd you "pay" to hook them up?  :shrug9: :bigshock: :whistle:

Rick
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250 O/S & T9.9 Yamahas c/w iTroll
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer c/w stainless disc brakes
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Scotty HP 2106 DR's c/w 15 lb glow ballzzzz!

Offline wedocq

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 06:14:41 PM »
Don't ask. Hopefully they last a season or two... :doh:

Offline Chief of the Boat

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 06:27:10 PM »
Shawn,
Very nice & BRIGHT.
 :party:
1994 Sea Explorer 1511 loves whitecaps 2010 Yamaha F-70 2012 Yamaha F-8 with a  Fixed SaltBoss Bracket Lowrance HDS-5 & 7 Gen 2 Standard Horizon Fixed VHF 2150 with AIS

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 06:40:35 PM »
Need more rod holders  :whistle:
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • Fly your flag proudly and thank a veteran!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 06:41:50 PM »
Now you can Salmon fish all night!
 :party: :party:
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14’ Sterling
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Offline wedocq

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 06:51:20 PM »
The deck lights are great for getting gear ready at the dock when it's still dark out. Now I feel like I can use them a while without having the motor running! The old ones would suck the batteries down pretty quick if the motor wasn't running.
-Shawn

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • Fly your flag proudly and thank a veteran!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
You mean you stop fishing after dark?
Why??
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14’ Sterling
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Offline DSCS

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 07:41:38 PM »
Nice!!

I have one dimmable LED flood mounted in the middle of the arch. Much easier to get gear ready than holding the mini-mag between my teeth.   :biggrin:

Alan
We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves,
an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style
(which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 08:04:35 PM »

I had halogen spreader lights on a previous boat. I always felt that I could be seen better by other boats with them on.  They are great for rigging your lines at zero dark thirty while running out to the fishing grounds.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline wedocq

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 11:19:40 AM »
You mean you stop fishing after dark?
Why??
No, I mean I start fishing before first light!  :biggrin:

Offline wedocq

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 11:25:17 AM »

I had halogen spreader lights on a previous boat. I always felt that I could be seen better by other boats with them on.

Yes, I agree. But I have always wondered what's legal and what's not when it comes to extra lighting that can be seen by other boats under way.
Shawn

Offline BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 11:26:56 AM »
I am impressed with the LED's, and with the price coming down looks like the way to go.  Nice job Shawn!   Great for the early morning prep waiting for first light. 

Bruce
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Offline Kimbrey

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 11:40:38 AM »

I had halogen spreader lights on a previous boat. I always felt that I could be seen better by other boats with them on.

Yes, I agree. But I have always wondered what's legal and what's not when it comes to extra lighting that can be seen by other boats under way.
Shawn
Good question Shawn.
I'll have to pull a "Rules of the Road" book out if I have one laying around the house.  Off the top of my head I would say deck lighting is ok.  For sure it's the forward looking non navigational lights that get you into trouble with the authorities.  I know years ago guys running the Inside Passage with their crab lights on which used to be a large rack of forward looking sodiums got tickets from our neighbors to the north. Rightly so as they are very blinding when meeting the vessel that has them on.  You can't tell what direction they are going.  I called the lights "Norwegian Sunshine".
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth

Offline wedocq

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 11:59:42 AM »
Ok thanks for that info Kim. With how bright these things are, I was thinking a few forward facing LEDs would be cool for crossing the bar in the dark. But that obviously doesn't sound safe for other boaters.

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 12:02:13 PM »
Plus it will likely get you a ticket from the CG...

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline DSCS

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 02:00:05 PM »

Shawn
Good question Shawn.
I'll have to pull a "Rules of the Road" book out if I have one laying around the house.  Off the top of my head I would say deck lighting is ok.  For sure it's the forward looking non navigational lights that get you into trouble with the authorities.  I know years ago guys running the Inside Passage with their crab lights on which used to be a large rack of forward looking sodiums got tickets from our neighbors to the north. Rightly so as they are very blinding when meeting the vessel that has them on.  You can't tell what direction they are going.  I called the lights "Norwegian Sunshine".

OK here's my  :twocents:

You should be ok as long as the floods are not so bright and pointed in such a way as to overwelm your all around light. If another vessel cannot detect your all around light through the glare of the floods you of course would not be in compliance with the regs.

I have my light pointed down so that there is very little light spill over at the stern. While out on the water I've found that running it at 1/3 to 1/2 full brightness gives me plenty of light to do whatever I need to do. I don't leave it on when running at speed, only use it when I'm trolling in the dark.

Shawn you may not be able to point yours down any lower. Sure wouldn't want to burn a couple of holes in that nice top!  :bigshock:

Alan
We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves,
an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style
(which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).

Offline wedocq

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 02:28:57 PM »
Good points Alan. I definitely could aim them down more if it's a problem. I will have to ask a buddy boat if my lights overwhelm the all around, and if they are blinding them while behind me.
-Shawn

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 02:31:55 PM »
You guys should see the commercial "Squid Boats".  When they are all fishing an area at night, they light it up like a Football Stadium.  The lights are so strong that it looks like daylight.

You can't see the navigation lights, so it's really hard to tell what direction they are headed.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 02:40:41 PM by Croaker Stroker »

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline Lingripper

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 02:35:45 PM »
Shawn did you pick up power from you anchor light and where did you run the switch from? Starting the rewire this week and my rocket launcher will be here this week so like to get an idea befor I start puting thwindows and roof back on.
G
1990 Ranger 19 Ht
2009 140 Suzuki
2008 Yamaha 8 HT

Offline wedocq

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 02:45:32 PM »
I ran power from a switch on the dash. When Salt Boss made my rocket launcher, they added chases thru it for a nice clean light install.

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 02:47:41 PM »
Funny rule

Rule 20(b) The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights which cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out.

Offline Lingripper

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 02:54:54 PM »
That looks great did not get the thousand rod launcher like yours jealous I am but the $limit on this complete overhaul is pushing the limit already. Think I may copy your setup though Thanks
G
1990 Ranger 19 Ht
2009 140 Suzuki
2008 Yamaha 8 HT

Offline wedocq

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 03:55:49 PM »
Well you better get cracking! The Neah Bay opener is just around the corner.  :biggrin:

Offline Lingripper

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 04:36:46 PM »
Ya working every minute on it plan on having it roof and windows on by the end of next week. Ticked got to work on lead pooring night just have to hook up again another time.
1990 Ranger 19 Ht
2009 140 Suzuki
2008 Yamaha 8 HT

Offline redbaronace

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2014, 11:08:04 AM »
Do you have a purchase link of the lights you installed.  Also what is the mounting mechanism.

Offline wedocq

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 08:19:20 PM »
Do you have a purchase link of the lights you installed.  Also what is the mounting mechanism.
This is what I bought. They have plenty more to sell. I am totally happy with them. I was a little nervous they would be cheaply made. Far from it! It comes with the mounting hardware shown.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271203701315?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

-Shawn

Offline Wyrguy

• Fisherman
  • Intellectuals solve problems,geniuses prevent them
  • View Gallery
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 09:34:29 AM »
Shawn, for curiosities sake, I'm wondering why you went with the round lights vs the rectangle shaped fixtures? (other than the minor cost difference) I have the rectangle shaped one on my rocket launcher (but a single light, centre mounted) and am very happy with the amount of light and spread of the beam pattern. I tried a round fixture temporarily and there was too much 'wasted' light spread for my liking... Just my 2 cents worth, but be careful when running and having them turned on, those 'Coasties' might not like it... :-p

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250 O/S & T9.9 Yamahas c/w iTroll
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer c/w stainless disc brakes
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Scotty HP 2106 DR's c/w 15 lb glow ballzzzz!

Offline wedocq

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 01:09:27 PM »
I don't have any particular reason for the round lights. I went with 2, because Salt Boss built 2 mounts on the tower.  :biggrin: It does light things up quite nice.