News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Hydraulic Steering Maintenance

Started by StreamFixer, February 14, 2014, 09:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StreamFixer

Excellent article

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2014/february/caring-for-your-hydraulic-steering.asp

The article recommends fluid replacement every 5 years.  My boat is a '97.  I'll be it has never been flushed and replaced, certainly not by the guys I bought it from.

Alas, yet another chore to add to the ongoing list.   :facepalm:  When does the list start getting shorter   :shrug9:

Yeah, I know, when I sell it, and the list goes with the sale   :nono:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

ak-angler

Also, on a Baystar system, you'll also want to take a couple of minutes each season to pull the 'support brackets' so you can clean and re-grease them. (The bent stainless rods that go into the tilt tube.)

Back in the day, I had neglected my Baystar steering, thinking it was a totally maintenance-free system. The grease in the tilt tube had solidified, causing the support brackets to freeze in place. When I tilted my motor, I heard a POP as the pivot plate adapter broke, causing me to lose all steering.

I was at the dock (launching) when it happened, and fabricating a fix for the pivot plate wasn't too difficult once I got home, but it ruined a fishing trip. It could have ended much worse.

1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

Yachter Yat

AK:  You didn't use automotive grease did you?
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

ak-angler

As I recall, it was a Penzoil multi-purpose Marine grease. When I got it apart, the tilt tube was all rusty, and what grease was left was all caked up.

Page 29 of the Baystar manual specifically states that this maintenance should be performed every 200 hours...

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/964610C.pdf
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

Threeweight

OMC's Triple Guard grease (which is the same thing as the blue Yamalube grease, I think) is excellent for these kinds of applications.  Crazy sticky, waterproof, and long-lasting.

Just don't use it for wheel bearings.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Yachter Yat

Threeweight:   You're right.........OMC Sea Lube is one of the best for marine use. I've used it for years and never experienced problems with "caking-up". I can't say the same for automotive grease.  Please keep in mind OMC also makes wheel bearing grease.  It's a little thicker and is colored red as opposed to the blueish-colored Sea Lube. 

I'm sure most of you seasoned boaters know, but for others, just a word of caution:   NEVER, NEVER use automotive grease in a marine environment. I speak from experience.  :doh:

Now here I go calling this stuff Sea Lube, but that's from a day gone by. Threeweight, you're right again, it's actually called Triple-Guard.  Name was change years ago. (Still living in the past I guess)

Yat   
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Salmon King

THANK YOU for the reminder gentlemen!
I would have forgotten this item come spring...
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)